Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2018 10:37:52 PM EDT
I have done a lot of research the past few days about PTR-91/FAL which is not a question now considering they are so rare $3,000+... Finally the M1a/M14 vs ptr91. The PTR-91 would likely be banned from importation over the M1a/M14 as I could always buy the M1a/M14 later. I decided off on the ar10 for now, I could buy a lower $300 and hold onto it but its not an option for me right now.

My reasons for the PTR-91
Cheap $3-$7 magazines like new
308!
plenty of parts
proven track record with lots of countries
3 year or 25,000 round warranty

Cons
heavy
big
butt stock prone to cracking?

I just don't know which model to get, I heard the GI had larger flutes $900 model but theres others that run from $1000-$1500..
your basic sexy 91FR model https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ptr-91fr-308-rifle-w-paddle-mag-release-detail.html?Itemid=0

KFM4R model thats an m4 stock which makes it easier to adjust for shooters
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ptr-91-kfm4r-semi-automatic-308-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

Other thing has crossed my mind was the PTR PDW pistol which I could get a tax stamp to sbr it but I heard the ballistics are close to a 7.62x39 in that short of a barrel.

"sniper model" but is it worth the extra $400? https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ptr-91-msg-91-perimeter-sniper-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

a squad carbine model
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ptr-91-scout-carbine-ptr-91-sc-detail.html?Itemid=0

Is it possible for me to just put an ar stock, collapse stock or folding stock on it afterwards?
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one its a great gun to add to your collection.  The LGS here has on he has been sitting on for years brand new in the box.  You could probably get it cheap message me if you want his contact info.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
They are solid, robust rifles. They are rough on brass. The sights and trigger aren’t as good as an M14 or an LR-308.

Each design has its pluses and minuses.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
What model do you think would be best? The MSG model sounds all around better, a nicer stock with adjustable points and the barrel seems better, its fluted.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
True on brass when it ejects dents the crap out of the brass so no re-loading those rounds.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
A buddy of mine had an HK-91.  Cases were ugly after going through that thing but we used to reload them with no problems.

As far as a PTR, I had one years ago.  I never did get it to run right.  Admittedly that's a sample of one and they may be fine rifles but that left a sour taste in my mouth for them.  I would not get another.

I would take that money and get 2 or 3 complete Aero Precision lowers.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to agree with the last person, get a couple of AR 10 lowers instead.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mayassa:
True on brass when it ejects dents the crap out of the brass so no re-loading those rounds.
View Quote
Get a brass deflector. Robert RTG has them. I reload all my PTR/G3 brass with no difficulty.

The G3 is a great addition to the collection. I also have six FALs and an AR10. I like the G3 much more with the G3A3 collapsible stock. Mine shoots like a dream.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had a bunch of FAL's, AR10's and M1A's through the years.
I also had a HK91 that I foolishly sold during one of the panics for an insane amount.

Notice I said "had".

I have kept every PTR I ever had (3) and every one runs like a top. All are early JLD rifles with either HK or FMP components.
Search out the early rifles, mind your SN range- AW2XXX thru AW6XXX were known to have shallow fluting and as a result werent happy with some milsurp ammo.
I like the straight line recoil, much less muzzle rise than the FAL to me.
I have one of the models with the rail welded to the receiver, with optics on it it will easily do 1-1.5 MOA.

Rugged, eat any ammo you feed it, cheap mags, good accuracy for a battle rifle. Not a "precision" rifle imo but a damn good rifle
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 12:46:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw the argument for FAL's but this was before 2013-2010, The only FALS I see on gun broker are $3,000++ $5,000++
The only G3 I see listed is full auto $36,000..........
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ineedanothergunlol:
I saw the argument for FAL's but this was before 2013-2010, The only FALS I see on gun broker are $3,000++ $5,000++
The only G3 I see listed is full auto $36,000..........
View Quote
Those FAL's are actual imported rifles, not DSA- or kit-built rifles. The latter two can be had for somewhere around a grand. A G3 is going to be a machinegun. The HK91, SAR3/8, and PTR's are the semi-auto-only options. I have a PTR-91 GI purchased in 2016, and it's been flawless.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:38:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ineedanothergunlol] [#11]
I actually called PTR this morning, they said the MSG 91 and PTR 91 are about the same, moa/function only the fluted barrel but you save a bit of money for the options because you get the bipod and stock. He said the Super sniper is very nice they demo it but out of most peoples price range. I was told I could just upgrade my PTR 91 FR to the MSG later. I was told it was all about what you wanted really and was more recommended towards the MSG due to the stock its easier to shoot prone and bench which I would do 98% of the time  shooting because this rifle is too big to stand and shoot accurately for long periods of time.

Panic buying has begun I notice the PTR FR is now outta stock on two sites I was on, the MSG is still there because the higher price tag.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#12]
The PTR-91 would likely be banned from importation over the M1a/M14 as I could always buy the M1a/M14 later.
View Quote
PTR 91s are made in the US so that shouldn't be a concern.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought they used imported "some used" parts to build "complete rifles"?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought they used imported "some used" parts to build "complete rifles"?
View Quote
The HK & FMP parts have gotten pretty dry, PTR started US production of components for their rifles about 10 years ago iirc.

Search out a JLD rifle if you want the cream of the crop.
The last one I got was a new old stock K model from a small dealer in Texas.
$1000.00 delivered to my FFL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top