Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2018 3:22:30 AM EDT
I'm a little stumped on this one and was hoping someone here might be able to offer some insight into this problem.

This is a new rifle built off of a Stiller Tac-30 AW action and Manners stock that I just recently finished and finally got glass for. So far it hasn't missed a beat with factory ammo but using some handloads from my previous .308 and some that I had made this last week I ran into an issue with the rifle failing to eject the spent casing. The casing extracts from the chamber just fine, but rather than ejecting and kicking it clear it'll just dump the empty into the action on top of the magazine and rounds loaded in it. This has only occurred with Lapua brass, both recently manufactured and with some that is about nine years old.

The only common denominator between these two different batches of reloads is the brand and the fact that I handloaded them on the same equipment. Tonight just to rule out something in my handloading process being the cause I full length sized and prepped 25 pieces of Federal brass that has ejected just fine during the last range trip. Tested these immediately after and they still eject fine.

The issue seems to be with Lapua brass itself, which is pretty frustrating to say the least.

Any insight into what may be the cause of this? I was toying with possibly replacing the extractor as there wouldn't be much of a loss there and I'd end up with a spare anyway.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps measure the base/rim of the cases. Lapua is notably thicker in some spots. Your extractor / ejector may have to be adjusted or replaced. I only use blue collar actions so don't know anything about the high dollar stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I pulled out the extractor today and made sure the channel it sits in was clean of any debris. I was going to replace the extractor outright but apparently Stiller uses a modified version of the M-16 style extractor that's machines down to be narrower than a stock Badger M-16 style so the replacement wouldn't fit. I did swap out the spring though as those were the same. Still not ejecting Lapua brass but it almost does now. Seems like an issue with rim tension possibly, but troubleshooting bolt gun issues is new to me and I don't want to get out into the weeds where I'm messing with stuff without understanding what I'm doing.

Might just have to settle for someone other than Lapua for brass. :\
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
My opinion is that if it’s not working with lapua brass it’s probably less than reliable with any brass. I’d send it in the the manufacturer
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:53:06 AM EDT
[#4]
That's my worry, too. I'm trying to reach out to Stiller for help and another extractor and ejector to try. This was built from the ground up on their action with a barrel blank, and if I can't get answers from them I'll be asking the company that chambered the barrel for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top