Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2020 6:46:21 PM EDT
I am looking for an dmr type rifle. I can get a sr-25 slightly used for 3.3 local or Alternatively i like the idea of the dd5v4 in 6.5. Especially since it is cheaper...i also feel like .308/7.62 isnt that great of an option anymore other than the longer barrel life. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By nawu:
I am looking for an dmr type rifle. I can get a sr-25 slightly used for 3.3 local or Alternatively i like the idea of the dd5v4 in 6.5. Especially since it is cheaper...i also feel like .308/7.62 isnt that great of an option anymore other than the longer barrel life. Thoughts?
View Quote

SR-25
But generally:  less than 1000 yards- .308, greater than 1000 yards- 6.5 CM
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#2]
How far are you planning on shooting?

all things equal, the KAC is a nicer rifle than the DD but the 6.5 is a more efficient round than the 308. but if you are not going to be shooting past 600 yards, you are not really going to see much difference between those two rounds.

So if you are shooting 600 and in, i would opt for the KAC, and shooting further i would really give some thought to a 6.5 set up
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:49:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doty_soty] [#3]
The SR-25 is the most refined AR-10 on the planet. The DD is a gassy and undeveloped mess. It’s actually pretty neat, it’s just that it doesn’t hold a candle to the KAC. I could see worrying about .308 v 6.5CM, but which make to get is a no-brainer for me. One of these days KAC will start making their 6.5’s more available and one can just get both.

ETA or you could just get an MWS and get a rifle that is almost a peer of the KAC (many would consider them equal), and in whatever caliber you want thanks to their quick change barrels. Once you get the rifle every other barrel length or caliber is a few hundred bucks and 30 seconds with a torque wrench away from being a reality.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I am primarily looking at shooting sub 1000. I like the idea of paying for quality, and i believe 3.3k is a steal for an mlok sr25. I havent seen too many higher end 6.5 ARs available and figures the DD could fill the role. I like how the 6.5 is flatter and easier to adjust imo.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 6:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mi650] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nawu:
I am primarily looking at shooting sub 1000. I like the idea of paying for quality, and i believe 3.3k is a steal for an mlok sr25. I havent seen too many higher end 6.5 ARs available and figures the DD could fill the role. I like how the 6.5 is flatter and easier to adjust imo.
View Quote
My Wilson Combat 6.5C shoots better than me, not that that's saying much.  

18" Recon Tactical.  It's my most accurate AR.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If you do have a budget in mind, I keep seeing Seekins Precision SP10's in 6.5CM going for 1800.00ish.  My brother just bought one off of arf, barely shot, and he spent 1700.00.

And don't get me wrong, I am a KAC fanatic, but I am also honest.  That being said, the Seekins will outpace most any gas gun in terms of accuracy, the KAC's definitely included (I do not define the KAC's as precision rifles).
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FALex:
If you do have a budget in mind, I keep seeing Seekins Precision SP10's in 6.5CM going for 1800.00ish.  My brother just bought one off of arf, barely shot, and he spent 1700.00.

And don't get me wrong, I am a KAC fanatic, but I am also honest.  That being said, the Seekins will outpace most any gas gun in terms of accuracy, the KAC's definitely included (I do not define the KAC's as precision rifles).
View Quote
In another thread you said you were an LMT guy but even there you were pushing Seekins.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I’d get the KAC and if it’s not for you, you can sell it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Any SR25 unless an LMT/KAC mutt is a good value at $3300. ECs, ERs, and special release EMCs could be found there a couple years ago but all have appreciated significantly. The old sr25 match rifles seem to bring the least now.

Originally Posted By FALex:

View Quote
Based on what?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Knights because inside 600yds, 308 is perfect and the KAC will retain if not go up in value over time where as the DD... lol
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
If you’re fine with .308 then get the SR-25. If you’re want 6.5CM too get an LMT MWS and an additional 6.5CM barrel.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer 6.5 over 308 every day and twice on days that end in Y but I'd take a sr25 before ever buying a dd5.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#13]
SR25
Pick up the 6.5 upper of 308 doesn’t get it done for you
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
If you’re fine with .308 then get the SR-25. If you’re want 6.5CM too get an LMT MWS and an additional 6.5CM barrel.
View Quote

I own a SR25 and a MWS, both outstanding rifles...The MWS will get the job done very well and the quick barrel swaps will give you multiple calibers and one base rifle.  

I think the SR25 and MWS are as close to each other in quality, reliability and accuracy as any two rifles can be.  If I had to decide, would give the edge to the MWS based on non propriety parts, barrel interchangeability and lower cost, about 65% the cost of a SR25

Bronc
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:

SR-25
But generally:  less than 1000 yards- .308, greater than 1000 yards- 6.5 CM
View Quote

Wut? lol. 6.5 Creed is still a better choice for 1k and in.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#16]
The large frame DD shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as a KAC or LMT.

It's a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By hypno02:
The large frame DD shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as a KAC or LMT. 

It's a piece of shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#18]
If you want to shoot it buy the DD.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#19]
SR25
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently purchased a DD5V4 last week. I went into the purchase not getting my hopes up about accuracy, yet expecting decent “DMR” accuracy.

I will say I am very happy with my purchase. I decided to try out 4 boxes of Hornady 147gr ELD-M. I topped the rifle with. Vortex Razor 4.5-27X56 with H59 reticle. I choose this because it is what I had to go on another rifle being built otherwise I would have used the Tremor for a gas gun. I am using a NF 1.5” 34MM Unimount. I choose this due to the fact it was what my NF NXS was in on my MK12, so I knew for the money the quality of what I needed and wanted was ample.

I also put a Geissele SSA-E trigger in and changed the stock to an LMT SOPMOD.

I zeroed the rifle at 100M. I did not have calipers with me and I didn’t care to do a review, as I’ve never reviewed a rifle for a forum before. I will save every group o shot was well within the 1” square.

I moved onto the 1200M lane with ample steel. There are a few truing bars and I was able to true the rifle at the 500m. I could not get my magnetospeed to sit on the barrel, which is why I choose to go strait to this method. My MV was 2398 using the factory loads. If anyone wants me to text them the video I have of a shot at 1158 to post I’ll gladly send it. This was making consistent hits with ease.

I should point out I have never owned a KAC. I have shot several M110s in a wide variety of configurations. Most some have never seen. I have also owned a LMT MWS with a 20” 6.5, that just would not group. I was very unhappy with the rifle yet I didn’t bash the brand because I have seen many in 308 and 6.5 shoot very well.

All I can say after this past Saturday is with the first 80 rounds I am pleased with the rifle and plan to continue testing. I will try to develop a hand load that is better in the future after I get a Labrador.

I would suggest this to anyone who is looking for something lighter than the LMT and saving a little extra. I feel that comparing the LMT to the DD is like comparing An F-150 to a Sierra. It’s shooters choice men, unless you’re an absolute brand whore or you need to have the features of the KAC. I don’t hate either way. But we can all agreed that bitch Carol killed her husband.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Get the SR25
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:50:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mcordell] [#22]
I own an SR25 ACC currently and have owned several prior to the ACC.The newer DDs are solid. My buddy has one of the newer 6.5s. Daniel Defense has refined their rifle in a big way with the DDv3, v4 and v5. They are now gassed properly and run smooth. The initial rifles they entered the market with were a mess IMO. I would trust any of the newer offerings with the new bolt design and new gas system. The SR25 ACC is the best battle rifle on the market. If you want a DMR I would try the DDv5 in 6.5.

I just did some looking around and you can get a DD5 for around 2k from a few retailers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mjh173:
I recently purchased a DD5V4 last week. I went into the purchase not getting my hopes up about accuracy, yet expecting decent “DMR” accuracy.

I will say I am very happy with my purchase. I decided to try out 4 boxes of Hornady 147gr ELD-M. I topped the rifle with. Vortex Razor 4.5-27X56 with H59 reticle. I choose this because it is what I had to go on another rifle being built otherwise I would have used the Tremor for a gas gun. I am using a NF 1.5” 34MM Unimount. I choose this due to the fact it was what my NF NXS was in on my MK12, so I knew for the money the quality of what I needed and wanted was ample.

I also put a Geissele SSA-E trigger in and changed the stock to an LMT SOPMOD.

I zeroed the rifle at 100M. I did not have calipers with me and I didn’t care to do a review, as I’ve never reviewed a rifle for a forum before. I will save every group o shot was well within the 1” square.

I moved onto the 1200M lane with ample steel. There are a few truing bars and I was able to true the rifle at the 500m. I could not get my magnetospeed to sit on the barrel, which is why I choose to go strait to this method. My MV was 2398 using the factory loads. If anyone wants me to text them the video I have of a shot at 1158 to post I’ll gladly send it. This was making consistent hits with ease.

I should point out I have never owned a KAC. I have shot several M110s in a wide variety of configurations. Most some have never seen. I have also owned a LMT MWS with a 20” 6.5, that just would not group. I was very unhappy with the rifle yet I didn’t bash the brand because I have seen many in 308 and 6.5 shoot very well.

All I can say after this past Saturday is with the first 80 rounds I am pleased with the rifle and plan to continue testing. I will try to develop a hand load that is better in the future after I get a Labrador.

I would suggest this to anyone who is looking for something lighter than the LMT and saving a little extra. I feel that comparing the LMT to the DD is like comparing An F-150 to a Sierra. It’s shooters choice men, unless you’re an absolute brand whore or you need to have the features of the KAC. I don’t hate either way. But we can all agreed that bitch Carol killed her husband.
View Quote

If you won’t show pictures because you won’t review a rifle what was this whole post

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top