Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2022 6:33:13 AM EDT
Just bought my first legitimate Sporter. I picked up a Gen 1 Razor 20-60x85. I now need a tripod. I primarily see myself shooting from a bench at my range. What table top brand tripods are decent most I see are off brands.

I was going to purchase a Vortex High Country 2 but after looking into it you really have to spread those legs all the way out. Anyone shoot that way with one?

Or should I look for a used leupold table top?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 7:10:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#1]
If you only use it for table top, the vortex summit works excellent, it doesn't do as good as a free standing tripod with heavy optics though due to its small build, its a bit shaky...

This shows my summit next to my neewer tripod....
Attachment Attached File

The neewer would do you fine if you don't need it to go any smaller than this(it will go smaller) but you have to disassemble the middle post and reassemble it to get it truly low..

Attachment Attached File

I normally just fully stand the neewer leaning inward toward the shooting bench when I want to use it for a spotting scope...which is simple enough to do without tearing it apart...or put one leg straight out on the bench and the other 2 on the ground...

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Including-Carrying-Camcorder-Capacity/dp/B01I1C8VGI

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
If you only use it for table top, the vortex summit works excellent, it doesn't do as good as a free standing tripod with heavy optics though due to its small build, its a bit shaky...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/DC3983F8-4F0B-49C7-B1E0-394758AE77E9_jpe-2227899.JPG

The neewer would do you fine if you don't need it to go any smaller than this(it will go smaller) but you have to disassemble the middle post and reassemble it to get it truly low..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/2E40B3D3-6AE5-4B21-B36E-9DA85980592B_jpe-2227900.JPG

I normally just fully stand the neewer leaning inward toward the shooting bench when I want to use it for a spotting scope...which is simple enough to do without tearing it apart...or put one leg straight out on the bench and the other 2 on the ground...

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Including-Carrying-Camcorder-Capacity/dp/B01I1C8VGI

View Quote
Thanks for the info. Do you think the Neewer would be a better choice then the High Country 2?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By beefboi99:
Thanks for the info. Do you think the Neewer would be a better choice then the High Country 2?
View Quote

Yes, I have the high country as well, it never gets used, the other two both go every trip...
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:08:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]
You could buy just the top end and mount it to a C-clamp.  It is behind the Magic Arm.  My top end is Bogen, old tech, but free and works every time.

I bought a simple and small tripod for the radar, the magic arm didn't work out so well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JACKDWACK] [#6]
Zeadio Metal Mini Tripod + Ball Head Mount, with 1/4 Inch Screw Desktop Tabletop Stand Tripod, Fits for Smooth 4, Osmo Mobile, Vimble 2, Gimbal Handle Grip Stabilizer
Zeadio Metal Mini Tripod + Ball Head Mount, with 1/4 Inch Screw Desktop Tabletop Stand Tripod, Fits for Smooth 4, Osmo Mobile, Vimble 2, Gimbal Handle Grip Stabilizer and All Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PNF2NJD/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_E0S40V4Q1B13GB27J5BP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use this with my vortex.. very small foot print and perfect for the bench if you have the angled ocular type.  Lots of adjustability. Grabbed of Amazon for about 25 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:10:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#7]
Originally Posted By JACKDWACK:
Zeadio Metal Mini Tripod + Ball Head Mount, with 1/4 Inch Screw Desktop Tabletop Stand Tripod, Fits for Smooth 4, Osmo Mobile, Vimble 2, Gimbal Handle Grip Stabilizer
Zeadio Metal Mini Tripod + Ball Head Mount, with 1/4 Inch Screw Desktop Tabletop Stand Tripod, Fits for Smooth 4, Osmo Mobile, Vimble 2, Gimbal Handle Grip Stabilizer and All Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PNF2NJD/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_E0S40V4Q1B13GB27J5BP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use this with my vortex.. very small foot print and perfect for the bench if you have the angled ocular type.  Lots of adjustability. Grabbed of Amazon for about 25 bucks.
View Quote
That is what I use on my Labradar now. It isn't stable enough for a larger spotter.  I probably wouldn't recommend it for the smaller Leupold in my photo, which is actually heavier than my Konus. If it is windy, a sand bag is needed.

It takes a fairly decent footprint to keep a spotter stable, and it ends up pretty inconvenient in the real estate of most bench surfaces. One leg slides off the bench on shot recoil, and your spotter ends up slamming into the deck.  That is why I use a clamp, no tripod will place the spotter in that position, unless it is on the ground.  I know I would either end up kicking it out of position, or kicking it over.  I see a lot of CMP type shooters using a weighted base with a single pole to mount their spotters in a similar position.

Most of us end up with a bin full of useless camera mounting crap in the garage.  The parts are good for projects.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/DC3983F8-4F0B-49C7-B1E0-394758AE77E9_jpe-2227899.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/2E40B3D3-6AE5-4B21-B36E-9DA85980592B_jpe-2227900.JPG

View Quote

Dammit!

I knew you'd beat me to recommending the Neewer.

But I have that same Vortex, too.  

Oh, and a Neewer tabletop that gets used more than the Vortex.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mi650:

Dammit!

View Quote
What version of Neewer table top do you use?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Dammit!

View Quote

I waited and waited for you to post..but nope..someone wasn't paying attention....
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Dammit!

It's this one.

But damn, I only paid about $30 for it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#12]

I waited and waited for you to post..but nope..someone wasn't paying attention....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Dammit!

Maybe I'll get the next 1.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Outdoorsman = great reputation and $$

CamerlandNy = always worth a phone call. You might get a Tripod for lower than listed $$

A couple of years ago I picked up a carbon Sirui T-024SK with VA-5 fluid head from CamerlandNY for under $250. They are on sale now for $280, like all things the price has gone up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#14]
On the bench I use a truck window mount to clamp on my range tool box. Or my Leupold tripod. But most of the time I use my Vanguard on the ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top