Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2021 8:51:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentDeath12886]
Looking for sources for a 1903/ 03-A3 action.

Been keeping my eyes open on a local gun forum, this forum and gunbroker.  Any other good places to look at?

What's everyone's take on the low serial number actions? Go or not worth the risk?  I see mixed answers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Low serial numbers? There have been horrible accidents documented because of them. If I had one, I would think of it as a cool piece of history and treat it the same way that I treat old muzzle loaders; handle and enjoy it without shooting it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Try to find something that has been sporterized but the receiver is unmolested, holes drilled, etc.  I have seen them as low as $200 in the last year.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Try to find something that has been sporterized but the receiver is unmolested, holes drilled, etc.  I have seen them as low as $200 in the last year.
View Quote

They seem to be going for around 400-500 now a days for the sporterized versions.  I was hoping to get a bare action since I was going to build it up as a modern hunting rifle.

As far a low serial numbers go, I've only read about the failures that occurred when they first realized there was a heat treat issue.  I just assume the people who continue to shoot those low serial 1903's are taking the risk and shooting milspec, low pressure, light bullet weight ammo.

Does the requirement to shoot milspec, lightweight, low pressure ammo also translate to the properly heat treated actions too?  Or would it be ill advised to shoot modern hunting cartridges through a 1903?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SilentDeath12886:

They seem to be going for around 400-500 now a days for the sporterized versions.  I was hoping to get a bare action since I was going to build it up as a modern hunting rifle.

As far a low serial numbers go, I've only read about the failures that occurred when they first realized there was a heat treat issue.  I just assume the people who continue to shoot those low serial 1903's are taking the risk and shooting milspec, low pressure, light bullet weight ammo.

Does the requirement to shoot milspec, lightweight, low pressure ammo also translate to the properly heat treated actions too?  Or would it be ill advised to shoot modern hunting cartridges through a 1903?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not an expert by any means.

I have a Smith-Corona '03-A3 from 1944, and have been told it's gtg with any ammo.

The dealer I bought it from gave me a box of S&B 180 grain to go with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

Shop the pawn shops, the used racks at gun shops, and any classifieds in your area.  Put out some feelers.  There are thousands of them out there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#6]
There are so many other actions available nowadays building a new hunting rig using a 100 year old war horse is throwing money down the drain IMO.

Buy a used Remington 700 or a Savage and the aftermarket will fill your every need. It will shoot better, have a better trigger and look like something someone would buy. Lots of Mausers (Mauser sued the USA for patent infringement and won) and some 1903 hunting rigs are always available for sale. They are usually pretty cheap because they look cheap and cobbled together.

A friend has a custom .308 hunting rifle based on a Mauser 98 action. It was made by a custom European gunsmith and it is a thing of beauty. The wood and hand checkering are fantastic. It is the exception to the rule. It was a gift from his father in-law and a family heirloom.

Most sporter conversions look rough.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RedFox1911] [#7]
I have a chromed barreled 1903a3 drill rifle receiver if you are really interested in such a project.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:
I have a chromed barreled 1903a3 drill rifle receiver if you are really interested in such a project.
View Quote

It seems like a drill rifle would be a little bit more work than I really wanted to invest into.  Thanks for the look out though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mi650:

I have a Smith-Corona '03-A3 from 1944, and have been told it's gtg with any ammo.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mi650:

The problem rifles are 03 from when the first came out not the 03a3.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Sarco had some a while back. Maybe they still do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top