Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2020 11:16:34 PM EDT
I picked up a Bergara b14 and I want to attach my muzzle device for a suppressor. This is my first bolt action in a long time and I'm sort of at a loss here. I'm used to working on ar-15s, for which I have the MI upper receiver rod. When torquing down the muzzle device, it takes the pressure off the barrel index pin and upper receiver. All the torque goes into the barrel lugs. Well I can't find any tool like that for a bolt action, so how can I do this properly? Is it okay to grip my vice on the recoil lug? Would that cause me to turn the barrel at all? Can I just grip onto the barrel itself? How can I keep it from turning in the wood blocks when I apply torque? Are bolt actions not subject to the precautions used on semi autos?

I tried googling this, but haven't really been able to find decent answers. Some say "Just throw it in a vice!", but that doesn't answer my above questions. Others say "Why the hell would you want a muzzle brake on a bolt action?!?" and that doesn't help at all.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps this YouTube video might be helpful...
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Perhaps this YouTube video might be helpful...
View Quote

Thank you for the link, but it doesn't help at all. My question is in regards to bolt actions, not ar-15s.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 8:45:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#3]
OK, how about this YouTube video?...  Brake installation on a R700...

If that doesn't float your boat, maybe one of these...
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Google "barrel vise"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top