Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2020 6:17:46 PM EDT
I might not be posting this on the right forum, this is my first time to post.  I read a few post abot Winchester wsr small rifle primers are not safe  for ar15 platform. I contacted Winchester and they told me they use them in their factory loads and it was safe to use them for reloading ar15 ammo.  Any thoughts on this from someone that has used them?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Should probably post in reloading forum. I’m sure a mod will move it soon enough.

Winchester primers are fine in an AR. They aren’t the hardest, but they are hard enough to not have issues.

I’d probably not load them to the extreme, but in general they won’t give you problems.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't had a problem with them in the 25 years I've been using them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Same here but I don't "hot rod" gas gun ammo.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used them in literally thousands of loads over the years and never had an issue.  For my ARs I used in both commercial and military brass with crimp cut out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 1:06:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scorps] [#6]
maybe the Remington 6.5 small rifle primers.
I would not use these in 223, but handgun ok

eta:  welcome to the forum
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm new to reloading and all I could find was the Winchester SRP.

I read everything you're reading now and at the end of the day, the guys above me who have been using them for a long time were all I needed to hear.

Based on the hundreds of rounds I've loaded and subsequently shot with them, they are absolutely safe to use.

I haven't had any issues with them at all and my loaded rounds have been fine.

Apparently, they're softer than a lot of primers but still not as soft as Federal.

Use proper safety precautions and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:58:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#8]
The Win SRP primers are fine.

However, I've been using Federal's GM205MAR small rifle primers in my match/precision loads.  The MAR suffix means they are hardened primers for use in semi-auto ARs.  Same match grade quality, just harder and slightly thicker primer cups.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:17:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#9]
Non-magnum small rifle primers have THINNER CUPS than magnum primers.

True 5.56 ammunition runs at magnum (62,000 psi) pressures.

See
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

LINK

My rifle team had persistent failures (piercings and blanking) of non-magnum primers. We all switched to magnum primers, and the problems instantly disappeared.

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:26:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Non-magnum small rifle primers have THINNER CUPS than magnum primers.

True 5.56 ammunition runs at magnum (62,000 psi) pressures.

See http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

My rifle team had persistent failures (piercings and blanking) of non-magnum primers. We all switched to magnum primers, and the problems instantly disappeared.

View Quote

I always thought the design principle behind magnum primers was to produce a hotter ignition to assist early combustion of slow burning rate magnum powders.  5.56 ammo, while high pressure, used much faster burn rate powder and does not necessarily need a hotter primer ignition.  In ARs we do need a thicker primer cup to prevent piercings and slam fires.

That can be accomplished now with AR specific match primers with thicker cups.  The GM205MAR is a non-magnum match small rifle primer.  Its cup is .025", even thicker than some small rifle magnum primers and as thick as most.  It may cost more, but should both solve the cup thickness issue and reduce ES, important at longer ranges.  Just a thought . . .
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Test it yourself.

Load 40 rounds in two lots of 20.

Lot1 is thin primer.
Lot2 is magnum primer.

Shoot each lot over chronograph.

Report results.

This is what my rifle team did in the 90’s when we were having primer problems.
We saw no difference in velocity.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:43:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AtotheR] [#12]
I started out running cci 400's with my ar15.  Believe me when I say this, that the first time you get an accidental double you might need to go change your undergarments or worse.

I still have a couple boxes left but I keep the loads separate and use extra care to keep the muzzle always in a safe position post firing.

First recommendation is for cci no. 41's they are mil spec and have the thicker cup.

Heres the chart

Interesting, I just realized the cup thickness is the same for all large rifle primers on the list.  

I ended up grabbing a way overpriced brick of Remington 7 1/2's recently.  I think it was like $145 shipped.  

Lessons learnt.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 2:00:42 AM EDT
[#13]
My ARs have never met a primer they didn't like.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
View Quote

Same here.

Regular Federal srp work fin in my ARs; never had a double.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
View Quote

I've only used WSR, Fed-AR match, and #41. With a specific load, there is a difference in group size. In a generic ball load with mixed brass it didn't matter.

In large rifle, my chrono can tell the difference between WLR and BR2. Iirc the BR2 were 50fps faster in a warm 30-06 load.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Test it yourself.

Load 40 rounds in two lots of 20.

Lot1 is thin primer.
Lot2 is magnum primer.

Shoot each lot over chronograph.

Report results.

This is what my rifle team did in the 90’s when we were having primer problems.
We saw no difference in velocity.
View Quote

Chamber a few times and observe size of firing pin ding in primer.
That is what harder primers are used in .223/5.56 for.
To make sure cambering does not cause a primer to go off.

It only takes a few extra strikes making the primer cup to alter the hardness.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top