Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2022 11:14:17 PM EDT
I’m trying to find a new range finder for all things shooting and hunting. Hunting is anything from Texas aoudad to backcountry elk.

My plan right now is to pick up the Kilo 2400 BDX and a Kestrel 5700 With Link since the kestrel can get weather data and DA and the range finder can send the range to the kestrel for a firing solution.

I know the Kilo 2400 ABS can do both but I feel like a kestrel can just do more, making the BDX/5700 combo more better.

Also I am planning on picking up a Garmin Tactix 7 but I’m not planning on getting the model with applied ballistics for the same reasons. I feel like a kestrel is just better and I’m pretty sure the Garmin grabs that data off your phone’s weather apps.

What am I missing? Is there a better solution?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the BDX system and the 2400 ABS.  If I were to do everything all over, I would just get the ABS and have all my scopes in mils.  

BDX is cool but it only rounds to the nearest whole number, and it doesn't take long to find the POI when your ABS tells you -5.4 mils drop, +1 mil windage.

Also the ABS doesn't tie you to BDX scopes which are pricey.

Love the ABS, only wish I bought it sooner and the right scopes to leverage it instead of the countless BDC scopes I got.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
Yeah, get the Kilo 3k or 5k to tether to your kestrel. You're going to be carrying binos anyway, and now you can have a firing solution while using them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
Yeah, get the Kilo 3k or 5k to tether to your kestrel. You're going to be carrying binos anyway, and now you can have a firing solution while using them.

Those are cool but they are considerably heavier than regular binos. Worth the weight?

Originally Posted By Trash_Panda:
I have the BDX system and the 2400 ABS.  If I were to do everything all over, I would just get the ABS and have all my scopes in mils.  

BDX is cool but it only rounds to the nearest whole number, and it doesn't take long to find the POI when your ABS tells you -5.4 mils drop, +1 mil windage.

Love the ABS, only wish I bought it sooner and the right scopes to leverage it instead of the countless BDC scopes I got.

Haha. I don’t think I own an optic in anything other than mils so I’m with you there. That’s good to know about the BDX. I was under the impression once I link it to the kestrel I could range a target and the kestrel will give me a firing solution.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

I also have the ABS, buddy has the BDX, I like the ABS better, and its been dead nuts out to 2000 yards so far..Love the 2400ABS...And OP the ABS will give you your dope right as you range it..

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
My main question is will the 2400 BDX range accurately and send that range to the kestrel? I probably won’t go off what the range finder gives me for a correction.

Or is there a better solution? The sig 3000 is looking more attractive.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:09:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#7]
Originally Posted By gwood188:
My main question is will the 2400 BDX range accurately and send that range to the kestrel? I probably won’t go off what the range finder gives me for a correction.

Or is there a better solution? The sig 3000 is looking more attractive.

View Quote

The ABS uses AB for dope figures..its been 100% dead on since I got it 4 years ago..if it isn't it has corrections you can make to adjust both velocity and BC as needed to get the correct dope numbers...I have never heard of anyone complain. about the ABS ever..the bdx,  should work, uses the same basic engine as the ABS but I think the ABS is on full send and the BDX is throttled a bit same as the lessor kilo RF's..AS for the kestrel...meh, are you sure its giving/using the correct data for your conditions?How long do you have to run data across 3-4 different machines to get a usable dope? you have the RF, the kestrel, the BDX scope and your phone app tieing it all together..sounds like a hassle..the ABS while it can be used with a phone in the field, its not needed except to load your rifles info..once. that is done its a simple matter of range, dial and shoot..takes but a few seconds to do..

Here is a beer can at 766 yards, cold bore shot...

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely a some good shooting there. Very impressive.

It was my understanding that the kestrel is a better weather meter than the kilo ABS, and that they both use the Applied Ballistics engine. My thought behind using the Kilo BDX was that it has the same ranging ability as the kilo abs just without AB, but they could both communicate with the kestrel. I wasn’t planning on getting a BDX scope, I enjoy my mil grid reticles. All I need to do was plug my data in for the load I’m using, get atmospheric/weather data, link kilo BDX, lase target, receive firing solution, dial elevation, hold wind, squeeze trigger.

Is that something the BDX isn’t capable of? Or that the kilo abs model does better?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By gwood188:
Definitely a some good shooting there. Very impressive.

It was my understanding that the kestrel is a better weather meter than the kilo ABS, and that they both use the Applied Ballistics engine. My thought behind using the Kilo BDX was that it has the same ranging ability as the kilo abs just without AB, but they could both communicate with the kestrel. I wasn’t planning on getting a BDX scope, I enjoy my mil grid reticles. All I need to do was plug my data in for the load I’m using, get atmospheric/weather data, link kilo BDX, lase target, receive firing solution, dial elevation, hold wind, squeeze trigger.

Is that something the BDX isn’t capable of? Or that the kilo abs model does better?
View Quote

I honestly don't know, never was impressed with my buddys BDX RF/scope combo so never messed with it more..I don't know how the abs weather can be unreliable, pretty basic data..mine seems to match right up with local weather just fine, it sure hasn't given off bad enough data to screw up a shot yet..Besides the one friend everyone else has gone ABS versus BDX, and I haven't heard anyone have issues with it... Might maybe call sig and ask them and see what they say...
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 1:52:08 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Listen to this guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top