Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2021 7:12:35 PM EDT
Putting a SilencerCo ASR brake on a Tikka Tac A1. The brake comes with five shims/spacers/whatevers. I think there are three large and two smalls. I have tried multiple combinations of these and none of them are completely horizontal.

Is there a trick to this or is nearly (looks horizontal but level shows it isn’t) good enough?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:53:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dabster] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Doesn't have to be exact like you are building a skyscraper on it but should be pretty level. Some people actually slightly cant them to get a little directional blast to help control the rifle but for the most part level is good. You have a picture of yours?
View Quote

Sorry for the slow response, I've been trying and failing to get a picture that shows it. To a casual glance it looks fine. If I balance a level on the brake it looks really bad -the bubble is at the outer edge.

The sides should be pointed at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock but they are pointing at about 9:15 and 3:15.

Continued work with shims is not making it better. Of course, I haven't used the provided Rockset yet and this might stop it from going a bit too far.

Should I try the Rockset to see if it helps or should I take it to a gunsmith?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dabster:

Sorry for the slow response, I've been trying and failing to get a picture that shows it. To a casual glance it looks fine. If I balance a level on the brake it looks really bad -the bubble is at the outer edge.

The sides should be pointed at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock but they are pointing at about 9:15 and 3:15.

Continued work with shims is not making it better. Of course, I haven't used the provided Rockset yet and this might stop it from going a bit too far.

Should I try the Rockset to see if it helps or should I take it to a gunsmith?

Thanks!
View Quote

I no longer use any thread locker. The right amount of torque keeps it on there even with a sticky can.

If you get it within 5 degrees short, lubricating the threads will usually get you the rest of the way.

If you can't do that, you need more shims or try the precision washer system that brownells sells.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your response. I was thinking along the same lines. Got more shims and found -after two hours trying different combinations- that one large and four smalls was much closer. It isn’t perfectly level but it looks level until a level is used but the bubble is fairly close.

Originally Posted By robpiat:

I no longer use any thread locker. The right amount of torque keeps it on there even with a sticky can.

If you get it within 5 degrees short, lubricating the threads will usually get you the rest of the way.

If you can't do that, you need more shims or try the precision washer system that brownells sells.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Friends don't let friends use Rocksett.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 5:47:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bnoji] [#6]
I use brass shim stock from MSC and cut rings out on a fiber laser.

You can skip a lot of the trial and error by calculating the approximate degrees of shimming needed based on the thread pitch. A 1/2-28 thread moves .0357" per rev, so if you need 45 degrees of shim it would be about .0045" of thickness.

(1/TPI) / (360/deg needed)
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Brake timing helps with keeping dust down and asthetics but from an accuracy pov it does nothing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JohnCarter17:
Friends don't let friends use Rocksett.
View Quote

<This.

Rocksett is a PIA to undo. I have to soak the muzzle device in hot water overnight to get it to budge.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you shoot without the can?

I have an AR with brake at like 1o click due to laziness.
It always wears a can so to me it doesn't matter to me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top