Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2020 12:11:29 AM EDT
I need some help with math.

I am setting up a 22 for prs/nrl/outlaw matches, and looking at the rules and information from previous matches,  one thing jumped out at me.  A couple of places listed the MINIMUM distance at 5 yards. Considering that same match also advertised targets out to 300 yards and occurs to me that the 5-yard target by definition had to be the next best thing to microscopic.  Now I think that match itself was actually canceled because of reasons but it did get me thinking about really small close targets and how I could deal with them.  

This has caused me to rethink a few things.  My original thought for a scope went away because of the 100y parallax, so I found one that goes down to 10y.  Now I am thinking about height over bore and +moa mounts.  So, logic tells me that a +moa mount, in addition to helping with longer range, should also help when I am at crossed eyes distances.  That also tells me the closer to the bore I can get, the less offset I'm going to have to deal with.  

Obviously if I was actually as a match I wouldn't have to ask about this and if I had already shot a couple of matches I already understand how to deal with this but since I'm cooped up at home with any potential match a distant possibility in the future if they don't keep canceling the stupid things, here i am.

As a secondary question I currently have two places that I could practice at, an indoor gun range that has exactly 25 yards and an outdoor range that is a hundred yards.   Since this isn't benchrest I'm going to need to practice and get comfortable with shooting in different positions but I'm also going to need to get comfortable with dialing my scope ended up just in for range and wind. Problem is I don't have 300 yards or even 200 yards to practice, in reality at my home range exactly a hundred yards is several feet into the berm.

This also got me thinking and in my quest for any kind of Target grade 22LR ammo I happened upon and bought couple of bricks of Aguila Colibri and super Colibri ammo. For those of you that aren't familiar this stuff is primer only a no powder with a lighter bullet.  The bullet is moving at pellet gun speeds instead of rifle speeds.

So it occurred to me that as slow as these are going, if they're accurate enough shooting at a hundred yards might be a fairly good simulation of shooting a regular 22 at 200 Plus.  A Chrono and a little bit of math will get me something to plug into strelok. Obviously I'll have to do a lot of cleaning and be absolutely certain that I get some form of impact for every round to be sure nothing gets stuck in the barrel.  I'm thinking maybe a paper plate stuck behind each Target.

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:53:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#1]
I did a computer search for a "?".  There wasn't one in the whole post.  

Still, it was an enjoyable read.  I'm just not sure how to help.

Try it and find out.  Your first match is always a HUGE learning experience.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:11:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top