Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2020 9:45:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats]
Segueing from this thread because I was taking that thread off topic with my build.

So this is where I'm at currently...
o Colt 6920 Lower Receiver Assembly
o M16A1 Buttstock & Pistol Grip
o Brownells Retro Rifle Buffer Tube, Buffer & Spring
o Geissele Hi-Speed National Match - Trigger Set; set for Service Rifle
o Colt 6920 Flat Top Upper Receiver Assembly
o Colt Bolt Carrier Group Assembly & Charging Handle
o Troy Industries 15" Freefloat M-LOK Rail
o Wilson Combat Match Grade Barrel, .223 Wylde, 20", 1-8", Stainless, Armor Coat, Gas Block & Tube (on order)
o Magpul MAG809 Sling Mount
o Sinclair Biothane Sling S/R

Canceled/returned all the WOA stuff I ordered. (smh)

Still looking at scopes/mounts, but this is at the top of my list ...
o Hi-Lux XTC 1-4x34 Service Rifle Scope
o High Power Extended Scope Rail
o TSR Scope Rings, 30MM Low

Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:03:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#1]
Why/what didn't you like about John's barrel(s)?

You could certainly do well with a rig with all those parts you spec'ed -- but I've never heard of anyone winning anything with that (or any) Wilson Combat barrel.

Where are you in Texas?  We have a pretty good machinist that does the Texas state teams' barrels from Shilen blanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Are ACOGs used much?

I shot Service Rifle years back when it was iron sights only, half-way thinking about doing it again now that optics are allowed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Why/what didn't you like about John's barrel(s)?

You could certainly do well with a rig with all those parts you spec'ed -- but I've never heard of anyone winning anything with that (or any) Wilson Combat barrel.

Where are you in Texas?  We have a pretty good machinist that does the Texas state teams' barrels from Shilen blanks.
View Quote
6 weeks out.

DFW.

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Magpul BAD lever
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Another-Bill:
Are ACOGs used much?

I shot Service Rifle years back when it was iron sights only, half-way thinking about doing it again now that optics are allowed.
View Quote
Unfortunately no.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Are ACOGs used much?

View Quote

ACOG 4x reticles have BDC which interferes with the sight picture at 200/300 yards, the lines are too close together for precision shooting. They make an ACOG 4x with a simple crosshair, the LAW reticle model, it would work great for reduced courses of fire, 100/200. Using a coin to dial your elevation and windage at 600 yards would be a pain.

Scoped service rifles require an adjustable stock because position shooting using a scope with a fixed stock is nearly impossible. Because of the nature of these tournaments, offhand, rapid sitting, rapid prone and slow prone, your eye relief changes dramatically in each position. Without the ability to adjust your stock length you place yourself at a disadvantage.

I would wait for a White Oak Barrel backorder or buy their premium Krieger/Bartlein/Shilen that is currently in stock.

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Consider one of WOA's 10 moa scope rails. 600 yards is approximately 15 moa. 10 moa splits the difference nicely.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I can go to the link above and the 1/7 shows in stock, which is what I ordered. I guess they gave up on updating their website inventory?

I ordered a Wilson barrel from WC and now it shows backordered. Can't win for losing.

Next year, I guess.

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Consider one of WOA's 10 moa scope rails. 600 yards is approximately 15 moa. 10 moa splits the difference nicely.
View Quote
Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Canceled my WC order. Backordered with no ETA.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I would highly recommend biting the Bullet and going WOA for your Barrel, the wait sucks but its worth it. Besides Nationals was cancelled anyway, you have a whole year.
Also highly recommend against the Troy Rail, especially if you intend to "sling in" properly and tight. That rail will flex too much and it is way to light weight. Its nice for 3-Gun but not SR. You will have issues Offhand. I would go Geissele on the High end or older style WOA Free float tube on the lower cost end, it will make a difference.
cp
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you looked at compass lake?  They are one of the pioneers in making the AR a powerhouse on the range.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll probably just put a complete upper on order.

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow did Covid throw this sideways for me. Popping it back up to re-think what I want to do now, and digest the responses here.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 9:07:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#15]
So if going with a collapsible stock, what buffer should I be using?

And it looks like this new PRS Lite might be a good choice.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bigsapper:

View Quote

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain you can't have an adjustable comb stock for service rifle.

The only adjustable stocks I've seen at matches are Magpul UBR gen 1 and gen 2, with a heavy preference towards the gen 1 UBR.

Regarding your woes with building the rest of the rifle, I bought a WOA built upper because it was cheaper than the sum of its parts. Its a shooter for sure, I haven't had any issues with it keeping well below one minute with 77 grain IMI. I opted for one with the Geissele NM rail which is super nice although not really necessary compared to other handguard options.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#17]
H2 is standard these days. KAK and Odin Works have adjustable kits.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Are ACOGs used much?

View Quote

ACOG's are unusable IMO. The various reticle other than the LAW reticles interfere with precision shooting. The LAW reticle ACOG's are simple crosshairs and would work great for 100 yard or 200 yard reduced courses, it would suck shooting in the wind at 600 yards.

The 3.5 ACOG's (crosshair models) actually have a good crosshair that doesn't interfere with your sight picture because on that model they eliminated the 200 hash mark.

You still can't dial dope like a good dedicated competition 4.5x.

The best scopes are Leupold's and Deon/March's dedicated high power models. Carefully investigate which reticle you want. I can't buy a Hi-Lux because the made in China thing....

If you only plan to shoot 100 or 200 yard reduced course tournaments you can run a red dot. Best accuracy is found dialing illumination down to the lowest usable level. I end up with one click brighter than almost invisible.

Scope height over rail is personal preference, but I prefer somewhere between 1.375" to 1.450" scope centerlines. 1.400" works great for me.

Link Posted: 12/23/2021 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#19]
If you go with a magnified scope you will want (need) an adjustable stock. A B5 or LMT works good for me. Magpul's Gen 1 as sold by White Oak is considered the best overall.

Because your eye relief changes so much between offhand, sitting and prone you can either adjust the stock length to compensate for it, or dial the magnification down to increase eye relief (for offhand), running it all the way to 4 or 4.5x when in prone.

Red dot sights work fine with A1/A2 stocks because eye relief is unlimited.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

ACOG's are unusable IMO. The various reticle other than the LAW reticles interfere with precision shooting. The LAW reticle ACOG's are simple crosshairs and would work great for 100 yard or 200 yard reduced courses, it would suck shooting in the wind at 600 yards.

The 3.5 ACOG's (crosshair models) actually have a good crosshair that doesn't interfere with your sight picture because on that model they eliminated the 200 hash mark.

You still can't dial dope like a good dedicated competition 4.5x.

The best scopes are Leupold's and Deon/March's dedicated high power models. Carefully investigate which reticle you want. I can't buy a Hi-Lux because the made in China thing....

If you only plan to shoot 100 or 200 yard reduced course tournaments you can run a red dot. Best accuracy is found dialing illumination down to the lowest usable level. I end up with one click brighter than almost invisible.

Scope height over rail is personal preference, but I prefer somewhere between 1.375" to 1.450" scope centerlines. 1.400" works great for me.

View Quote
I can do a Leupold. What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#21]
get your order in for this scope: White Oak Distinguished Rifleman Scope
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Best thing to do is go to a local match and talk to the serious competitors about what they are using. Locally, they let me handle their rifles and look through their scopes. Almost everyone wants to promote new shooters into the sport.

The White oak scope has been good for a year now. It is bulky but easy to use. We will see how it holds up. So far I haven’t seen complaints online from people using them heavier than mine.

Don’t go cheap on the scope. Hi-Lux will not last when dialing all the time. A good service rifle scope will cost 1-2x the cost of the rifle. The SR scopes WOA inventories are the most popular on the line. If you can’t afford a good scope, run irons until you save your money up.

Precision reflex makes a decent cantilevered scope mount for half the cost of the best mounts. You want a 1.3-1.4” mount and cantilevered far forward for eye relief. There is no need to have a sloped rail or mount.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain you can't have an adjustable comb stock for service rifle.

The only adjustable stocks I've seen at matches are Magpul UBR gen 1 and gen 2, with a heavy preference towards the gen 1 UBR.

Regarding your woes with building the rest of the rifle, I bought a WOA built upper because it was cheaper than the sum of its parts. Its a shooter for sure, I haven't had any issues with it keeping well below one minute with 77 grain IMI. I opted for one with the Geissele NM rail which is super nice although not really necessary compared to other handguard options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:
Originally Posted By bigsapper:

That's correct. Can't use a stock with adjustable comb, or adjustable butt plate.

I've been using the UBR gen 2, for past few years. I added a sling plate that goes under the butt plate, but not sure if I would do that again. I would probably just use a QD swivel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top