Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2022 8:21:51 PM EDT
There are about 20 different aftermarket triggers for the Remington 700 platform. Does anyone have suggestions on how to pick a trigger and how much to spend?

I'm looking for a 2-stage trigger and that's about all I know.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
My MPA has a TriggerTech in it that while single-stage, is 1lb 7oz pull and is very crisp.  I really, really like it.  They do make a 2-stage as well.

https://triggertech.com/collections/bolt-action/products/rem-700-two-stage?variant=31968717668470
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got the geissele 2 stage and couldn’t be happier. Mine came factory set at 3.5 lbs I left it alone because it felt so good.  I only wish I could get an ar trigger that good.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My factory trigger is at 3.5 and it seems OK but I'd like it lighter. Scratch that, it seems amazing but this is also my first bolt action rifle so I'm used to handguns, AR's, and shotguns.

I thought about trying to tune the factory trigger myself but everything I've read advises against it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The geissele adjusts down to 1.5 lb I’m good with factory 3.5lb
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I run trigger techs special trigger in my bolt gun, only single stage but it is a sweet trigger...Their 2 stage is supposed to be even nicer...
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NorincoBoy:
My factory trigger is at 3.5 and it seems OK but I'd like it lighter. Scratch that, it seems amazing but this is also my first bolt action rifle so I'm used to handguns, AR's, and shotguns.

I thought about trying to tune the factory trigger myself but everything I've read advises against it.
View Quote

3.5 feels like 10 after you drop down into the 1.5 range.  When you're trying not disturb a gun that's shooting a projectile hundreds and hundreds (and hundreds) of yards, those extra pounds matter.  

I wouldn't mess with the X-mark if that's what you have.  A solid drop in replacement is cheap enough and will come with out of the box reliability.  

My 0.02.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
2 stage: TriggerTech, Timney CE, Huber. All work great. For the price, the Timney is hard to beat. I prefer my Triggertech Diamonds in my bolt guns, but the CE’s are a great value. I still prefer the TT Diamond pro curve single stage, but that’s just personal preference (none of my single stage triggers are over 12oz except for hunting rifles set at 2.25lbs).

Honestly, if you’re not familiar with a wide variety of 700 triggers, the Timney CE will probably feel like the best trigger you’ve used. The only downside is it needs to be adjusted properly to ensure there’s no creep. That’s been the one downside I’ve read about, but it wasn’t an issue for mine. The Triggertech may be a bit easier to ensure no 2nd stage creep, but you’ll pay a bit more for it.

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My vintage 700 has a great trigger. What year 700 do you have?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Both my Bergaras have Triggertech single stage triggers. I'm quite happy with them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:49:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#10]
I have 2 rifles with Huber 2-stage triggers.  Both are 2.5 pounds and I'm very happy with them.  Very crisp/clean with no creep.  And I love that they are set at the factory and aren't really adjustable by the user so I won't be tempted to fiddle with them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I liked the TriggerTechs more than my Timneys.  No experience with the Geissele trigger.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#12]
i replaced the factory trigger on my 700 with a triggertech special 2 stage , awesome trigger
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve used TriggerTech Specials for a few years and love them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Both my Bergaras have Triggertech single stage triggers. I'm quite happy with them.
View Quote
What's crazy is the factory Bergara in my B14r is better than the Triggertech in my HMR Pro. Maybe I just need to adjust it down a little but the factory Bergara trigger is perfect and has zero creep, it's impossible to tell when it's going to break!

I actually need to replace the factory trigger on my 700 Magpul 5R but I'm not really crazy about the TT based on my experience with the Bergara.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:
What's crazy is the factory Bergara in my B14r is better than the Triggertech in my HMR Pro. Maybe I just need to adjust it down a little but the factory Bergara trigger is perfect and has zero creep, it's impossible to tell when it's going to break!

I actually need to replace the factory trigger on my 700 Magpul 5R but I'm not really crazy about the TT based on my experience with the Bergara.
View Quote
My HMR Pro with the Triggertech felt way better than my HMR with the Bergara trigger. As soon as I bought the HMR Pro I felt it and went and bought a Triggertech for the regular HMR.

IIRC, both of mine are adjusted to around a pound.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Timney in my 700.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Stock Remington triggers can be adjusted down to 2.5 to 3 pounds, which is perfectly usable IMO.

The market is saturated with excellent triggers, many of them very expensive. A hunting rifle really doesn't need to be lower than 3 pounds +/-.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:34:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#20]
Trigger Tech Diamond is my preference. Single stage 14oz
It’s not for everyone to set that light but I love it
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
2 stage: TriggerTech, Timney CE, Huber. All work great. For the price, the Timney is hard to beat. I prefer my Triggertech Diamonds in my bolt guns, but the CE’s are a great value. I still prefer the TT Diamond pro curve single stage, but that’s just personal preference (none of my single stage triggers are over 12oz except for hunting rifles set at 2.25lbs).

Honestly, if you’re not familiar with a wide variety of 700 triggers, the Timney CE will probably feel like the best trigger you’ve used. The only downside is it needs to be adjusted properly to ensure there’s no creep. That’s been the one downside I’ve read about, but it wasn’t an issue for mine. The Triggertech may be a bit easier to ensure no 2nd stage creep, but you’ll pay a bit more for it.

View Quote

I'm also using a Timney CE.  It came from the factory right at 1 lb.  I'm one of the newbie PRS shooters mentioned above that feels like it's the best trigger I've ever felt.   I haven't felt the need to adjust it from factory setting.  I did a lot of reading before I bought mine, but I never had an opportunity to try others so I basically jumped in blind and my purchase boiled down to availability.  Nobody but Timney had a left-hand trigger in stock, so that's what I bought.  

I'm happy with my CE and I'm currently debating buying another for my B14R lefty
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:09:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#22]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

View Quote

I’m noticing more and more your setups are pretty similar to mine except I love flat triggers. I always feel a little bad when I talk a new shooter into a really great trigger.  It’s hard to have one rifle with a great trigger with out buying ones for the rest.  Gets pricey
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for TriggerTech Special.
Put one in my first 700 and have one waiting at the LGS for my 8.6BO build.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By NorincoBoy:
There are about 20 different aftermarket triggers for the Remington 700 platform. Does anyone have suggestions on how to pick a trigger and how much to spend?

I'm looking for a 2-stage trigger and that's about all I know.
View Quote

If it is a Remington action, you will need the bolt release, so I would go with the Trigger Tech Special Two Stage Trigger. If not, then the Diamond will be the one you want.

I like the one I just bought and will probably get a second one for my 300WM. Both rifles had there primary triggers that were grate for the time I used them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Jewel hasnt let me down.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Geissele 2 stage that I am very happy with on my Rem 700 tac.  I also have a Timney 2 stage on my Bergara B14R 1.5# total weight.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#27]
JEWELL Triggers

I have a Jewell in my Remington 40-X.  I have an Anschutz in my T2k.  Both are excellent triggers.  

The Jewell is a drop-in trigger for the 700/40-X action.  

You will be happy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#28]
SSA-E
Put that trigger in both my MK 12 and M4
Very happy
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:16:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#29]
Originally Posted By RedTeam98:
SSA-E
Put that trigger in both my MK 12 and M4
Very happy
View Quote

How does that help OP?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:

How does that help OP?
View Quote

Some members on this site don’t know anything about guns. It’s not why they’re here.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MSC182:

Some members on this site don’t know anything about guns. It’s not why they’re here.
View Quote

Recommending an AR-15 trigger for a R700?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:57:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MSC182] [#32]
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:

Recommending an AR-15 trigger for a R700?
View Quote

That was my point.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Why? Being your first bolt gun as you mention and liking the factory trigger which is single stage why do you know you want a 2 stage?

As for triggers, Timney and Trigger Tech both make excellent triggers. If you don't want to go below 1.5 pounds then the Timney 510 and Trigger Tech Primary would both work and be the cheaper options.
View Quote

Agreed.  If you know you don't need/want to go below 1.5 lbs.  Tigger tech primary and timney 510 are great options at great prices.  I really wouldn't recommend spending more.

Bix'n Andy hasn't been mentioned here yet.  The tacsport and tacsport pro are great triggers.  That or a TT diamond would be my recommendation for a trigger that needs to go sub 1#.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ve got a Geisselle 700 two stage trigger and for hunting it exceeds all my expectations. It replaced the factory trigger which felt fine until you wanted to shoot precisely with it and then you could tell the weigh was inconsistent and heavy. New trigger is a dream, feels somewhere between an SSA and an SSA-E.

I have had a bit of time behind a Triggertech Diamond with the flat bow. It was left at the factory setting from the box and that trigger was the single most precise trigger I’ve ever felt… for a precision long range gun. The G is incredible for hunting and perhaps a bit more forgiving because that Triggertech is so ready to set off when you’re ready. Maybe it would be hunting ready if adjusted heavier?

Friend has a Jewell set to 1# on a .300 RUM. That rifle makes me twitchy because the trigger goes off if you so much as blow on it. Then it’s kicking your ass.

Never tried Timney.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Nothing2CHere:
Jewel hasnt let me down.
View Quote

I've about tried them all, and prefer the Geissele 2 stage my wife has in her 700 .223, but alas, Big G doesn't like lefties, so I'll stick with Jewell.  2.5-3lbs works for me.  

Lots of good triggers out there, I have an older factory 700 trigger than GAP adjusted to about 3lbs and it is so good I left it and didn't swap in the Jewell trigger I had bought for it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
I have 2 rifles with Huber 2-stage triggers.  Both are 2.5 pounds and I'm very happy with them.  Very crisp/clean with no creep.  And I love that they are set at the factory and aren't really adjustable by the user so I won't be tempted to fiddle with them.
View Quote

Same except mine are at 1.5 pounds, on a .308 and a 6.5x47Lapua
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top