Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2020 8:15:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: barrysuperhawk]
There are a hundred threads on "whats the best, or whats the best for my gun"  This isn't that ( ish).

I just picked up a Bergera 22 and started looking around for "match" ammo, thinking that I might be OK because certainly the neckbeards won't be buying up the .50 per round target ammo...will they?

Of course they are, and local retailers seem to be treating the little bit of target grade 22 like it is their last box of hollowpoints.  

So, like a good little panic'ed consumer, I bought everything I could find, as much as I could find or was allowed to, and this is what I scored:

Apparently Imgur didn't like pictures of boxes and boxes of .22's...  so you will have to use your imagination...

Since I expect to get locked back down before I get a chance to shoot any of this stuff - Stupid Illinois - I thought we could play a little game of FMK only with ammo.  In this game, we are going to try to categorize the ammo that I actually have into up to 4 categories:
NRL22 match ammo - Ammo that should be consistent enough to take to an actual match.
Practice match ammo - not as good as above, but good enough to practice with.
Nice 10/22 ammo - my 10/22's arent kidds, or anything special, one is stock and the other has a green mountain barrel.  
Blaster ammo for either mag dumps, to sell for .75 per round on GB, or toss in the campfire. (you decide what is the joke)

This is all I have except for federal bulk pack, so it's all you can choose from.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
No Tenex?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That should do it .
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Try to find Wolf Match, very good ammo.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Unkydon:
No Tenex?
View Quote

Tenex....nor any of the Eley offerings, did truly great in my B14r at 50. Every so often the Team would put together a half moa group, but most were closer to .5-.6” at 50yds.

OP....I’d be looking for some Center X or Midas if you’re willing to pay for it.
SK Std or FN match or Long range match are also great options. Center X is a bit more consistent for me at 300yds vs the other offerings.

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

Tenex....nor any of the Eley offerings, did truly great in my B14r at 50. Every so often the Team would put together a half moa group, but most were closer to .5-.6” at 50yds.

OP....I’d be looking for some Center X or Midas if you’re willing to pay for it.
SK Std or FN match or Long range match are also great options. Center X is a bit more consistent for me at 300yds vs the other offerings.

View Quote

I'm curious? Has Tenex quality deteriorated since the early 90's or is it just not a good fit for the B14r?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolf match shoots the best in my 40x.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you meet the requirements to buy from the CMP?

Looks like they have match grade .22 ammo:

https://estore.thecmp.org/?cat=AMC
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm curious? Has Tenex quality deteriorated since the early 90's or is it just not a good fit for the B14r?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

I’m thinking it’s just not a great fit for the B14r’s, especially for the price. The B14r didn’t like the Eley match either but I’ve shot several 250’s and 12-18x’s with that ammo in  40x’s in the few times I’ve shot .22 BR with my dad.

100yds

50yd lot testing
The numbered groups were SK FN match iirc.
E-M- Eley Match
Team- Eley Team
C-X- Lapua Center X

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 12:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#10]
No Tenex?
View Quote

I just took delivery of Eley Tenex, Eley Black Box Match and Lapua Center-X from MidwayUSA.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]
https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/eley-ammunition/220-2801-eley-match-rimfire-cartridges-tx-warehouse.html#/447-lot_number_match_tx-1019_010501059

No relationship with KSS, just a customer.  Not sure of pricing vs other places, but 2 of the bigger ammo companies poorly packed several hundred rounds of .22 target ammo that was lost in shipping.

Never had an issue with KSS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 5:48:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#12]
You are better off with CCI Standard than the quiet stuff.

There is a bazillion rounds of CCI Standard for sale at Target Sports USA for $0.09 a round for Prime Members right now. Wolf Match Target is $0.17 and 385,000 rounds of Wolf Match Extra at $.19 per round.

In my experience one of those should work for the short term, even if not "ideal" for competition.

If that Norma Match ends up working for you, I have a bunch I would swap out for CCI Standard if you try CCI Standard and it does not work for you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#13]
No Tenex?
View Quote

Will not win a match without it.

OP, I never had a .22 that liked Remington or Federal match. The rest are pretty good for target shooting.  I’m glad I stocked up when Midway had their match stuff on sale for about 3-5 cents a round right before the panic.

Someone has RWS on sale right now. Can’t remember who. I get so many ammo emails.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Chiming in waaay late but...

Wolf used to be made by SK/Lapua, but about 5 years ago changed and is now made by Ely

The Norma offerings are made by RWS

Of the various 10/22 builds I've had, and the Savage and CZ bolt guns I've had, I've always gotten the best accuracy from the SK/Lapua products.

Of course, it is rimfire, so YMMWV....
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, what a difference a couple of years makes, so here are some updates.

First off, I have finally broken myself of the bad habit of buying onsies and twosies of random ammo.  I also went through and SOLD most of the random stuff to a local pawn shop for absolute neckbeard prices.  Ordinarily I don't like to sell stuff, but in this case it really was something that I was not likely to use and I took the $4 to buy what I could use...

Then I convinced the LGS to actually ORDER some higher end ammo...
So, I ended up with the following:
2 bricks SK rifle match, Shoots good, but haven't seen more, so I have been hesitant to put alot of effort into testing it.
a 50 cal can of Norma Tac22  Not the best, but it was cheap.  Good enough to keep.
a full fat 50 can full of the same lot of Eley Orange Club this will be my go-to when I run out of the...
few bricks of Eley Yellow Target that is my current NRL22 ammo because it shoots really good in my rifles
a couple bricks of tenex that I am saving until I go to a match with a prize table
...and a couple of full cases of CCI SV that seem to operate the semi-autos a bit more reliably.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top