Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2021 11:24:35 PM EDT
I have a question for the elr gurus. This is my first time setting up a gun for anything longer than 1,000 yards.

I received a Nightforce Atacr 7-35 to put on top of the 6.5 Creedmoor GAP arriving soon. The GAP will have a 20 moa rail on it. When I put the load data in for our max range on the property, 1,620 yds I come up with 22.5 mil adjustment. The Atacr has 29 mil adjustment plus the approx 5 mil in the rail gives me 34 mil. I know that is from bottom to top but I am wondering if I should stack another 5 mil in with 20 moa rings?

Also trying to decide on rings. Nightforce rings are available locally but I am wondering if there is something better? Then I need to figure out how tall I need them.

Any thoughts, words of wisdom or otherwise appreciated…
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't, I would only add if I could not dial to the furthest distance I was shooting..Main reason for that is if you add enough it gets where it is hard to get a zero set at 100 yards.Also you are moving the zeroed eye position closer to the edge of the glass where distortion can often be a problem...
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:14:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#2]
The scope has 14.5 (29/2) mils up and down adjustment from center...  adding 5 in the rail gets you 19.5 up (still short of the 22+ needed)...  5 more in the rings gets you 24.5 up or enough to get your 22+ with a little to spare...  or at least that's how I see it but I am not a ELR guru...  wait for other replies...  

AKSR does make valid points though...  alternatively, you could use "0 cant" rings and dial up 19 and then hold over 3.5 mils in the scope...  IF you wanted to get to 1620...
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:27:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#3]
Thanks guys. I haven’t even looked through the scope yet, other than sitting in the kitchen, and I am hoping it is fairly clear edge to edge. That’s one of the reasons I don’t just jump on 20 moa rings as well.

The longest I have shot was 1k and I did have to hold 2 moa on the ebr2 reticule. This scope has the Tremor 3 reticule so holds shouldn’t be a big issue.

This is my first Nightforce, first custom rifle and first time thinking of going beyond 1k so I am learning as I go…
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:58:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
The scope has 14.5 (29/2) mils up and down adjustment from center...  adding 5 in the rail gets you 19.5 up (still short of the 22+ needed)...  5 more in the rings gets you 24.5 up or enough to get your 22+ with a little to spare...  or at least that's how I see it but I am not a ELR guru...  wait for other replies...  

AKSR does make valid points though...  alternatively, you could use "0 cant" rings and dial up 19 and then hold over 3.5 mils in the scope...  IF you wanted to get to 1620...
View Quote

Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
Thanks guys. I haven’t even looked through the scope yet, other than sitting in the kitchen, and I am hoping it is fairly clear edge to edge. That’s one of the reasons I don’t just jump on 20 moa rings as well.

The longest I have shot was 1k and I did have to hold 2 moa on the ebr2 reticule. This scope has the Tremor 3 reticule so holds shouldn’t be a big issue.

This is my first Nightforce, first custom rifle and first time thinking of going beyond 1k so I am learning as I go…
View Quote

Yeah holding over for 3-5 mil wouldn't bother me a bit..A buddy bought a 6.5cm from a local, took it out and tried to sight it in and couldn't get on paper..the kid had 40 moa of rail under it..but it was also a cheap scope..I told my buddy to go buy a 20 rail and at least a 1000 scope for it..2 grand would be better..its worked fine for him, but I don't think he has had it past 1000 yards either...

I'm not shooting a 6.5, Im shooting a 300rum, its my elr fun gun and my hunting rifle..I just run an early gen 2 razor but I've had zero issue dialing for 2000 yards(18.5 mil or 63 moa), but thats as far as I have shot it..Its on a 20 moa rail, which gives me like 90 moa(31 mil) of up...But for animals, I have dialed the dope, but then if the animal further away I have just held the difference from what my dope difference was......
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 2:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

That is not how that works as mentioned. The scope has only the adjustment it has. The base just redistributes that. It doesn't add. You will only ever have 29 mils.

You need to ask where you will be spending most of your time when shooting the rifle. If at 1620 yards then go with a 20 moa mount/rings and get 40 moa of cant as the scope will run that without a problem. If it will be mostly in the around 1000 and in, give or take a few hundred yards then just get a good set of rings and shoot. Just hold over for the longer ranges. I have shot my 6.5 Creedmoor to a mile with a 4 mil holdover. No problem.
View Quote

Agreed. Aim for the sweet spot and manage the exception. I will likely be shooting 90% 600-1,300 yds. To get to 1,620 I would need to talk with a neighbor out of courtesy. Shooting a little shorter is just easier.

So 0 degree rings it is. Now to find the right ones…
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
On this last rifle I didn't use rings, I used a MPA one piece mount, and am glad I did..its solid enough that you cannot have ring misalignment and I can pull the scope and put it back on and most of the time the zero doesn't move at all, the one time it did it was a one click(1/4 moa) on windage to put the zero back exactly where it was...
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
On this last rifle I didn't use rings, I used a MPA one piece mount, and am glad I did..its solid enough that you cannot have ring misalignment and I can pull the scope and put it back on and most of the time the zero doesn't move at all, the one time it did it was a one click(1/4 moa) on windage to put the zero back exactly where it was...
View Quote

I didn’t know MPA did rings I’ll check them out.

I have a $185 gift certificate at LT so was looking at their 34mm two piece rings. Just not sure if the hight would be right.

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 2:22:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#10]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Where will you be doing most of your shooting?

If you want the clearest possible view and image of your target you're going to want to be looking through the optical center of your scope and lens.  Ideally this will also give you the most left-right travel from center to compensate for wind.

Use something like JBM ballistic to find the required elevation from your zero distance to your desired maximum range -- then determine how many mils or minutes you're going to need in your base.

30 to 45 minutes isn't unreasonable, and you have the option for specialized bases to go further.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Yeah if you are inside 1300 most of the time then the rings/mount will be fine.

I'd save the LT cert for something else. A good set of rings or a lower mount, not AR height, would work. I use Seekins Precision rings and I can pop them off and put them back on with little to no change in zero also but honestly if it comes off the scope zero is always checked afterwards anyways. Have used the Seekins since 2005 on my match rifles and never an issue.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/IMG_1035_11_-2152520.jpg

View Quote

I’ll look at those. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Where will you be doing most of your shooting?

If you want the clearest possible view and image of your target you're going to want to be looking through the optical center of your scope and lens.  Ideally this will also give you the most left-right travel from center to compensate for wind.

Use something like JBM ballistic to find the required elevation from your zero distance to your desired maximum range -- then determine how many mils or minutes you're going to need in your base.

30 to 45 minutes isn't unreasonable, and you have the option for specialized bases to go further.
View Quote

I can shoot any distance out to 1,600 on private property. Easiest setup can do 1,200. That’s likely where most of my shooting will be.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Definitely a good recommendation on the Seekins. I’ve got 5+ sets and have never had an issue.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a nightforce in seekins rings. Zeroed in three rounds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like Seekins is gtg. Now I just need to get the rifle!
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#18]

You can order everything up so you are ready to go. The 1" high work with 56mm scopes. You can go higher but don't go lower. The 1.1" high Vortex Precision Matched rings will work too. They are made by Seekins Precision for Vortex and the same ring so you can get them too of you find them. Those are 1" high rings in the pic above.

What are the specs of your GAP rifle?
View Quote

Gladius action, 24” fluted Bartlien, trigger tech set at 2 lb, Manners EH-1A carbon in gap camo and 6.5 C. I used to outshoot all the guys at our bimonthly 600yd shoot but they upped their game and I sold my 260. Needed to replace that very accurate rifle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 6:12:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#20]

Sounds cool. Were you trying to keep the weight down?
View Quote

A little bit. Taking my son to Alaska next summer for a caribou hunt. Don’t want to weight him down. this will also be used for my damage elk tags.

Good to know the seekins are the same as Vortex rings. They have those locally so I will be able to test fit them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#22]

A little bit. Taking my son to Alaska next summer for a caribou hunt. Don’t want to weight him down. this will also be used for my damage elk tags.

Good to know the seekins are the same as Vortex rings. They have those locally so I will be able to test fit them.
View Quote

You doing a DIY hunt or a guide deal? Do you know where at?
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#23]

They are the same as the Vortex Precision Matched Rings only. Vortex has other lines of rings. Just wanted to specify. And the 1” will work but toss them on and see if the 1.1 is more comfortable for you.
View Quote

Thanks! I’ll make sure to look for the matched rings.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:08:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#24]

You doing a DIY hunt or a guide deal? Do you know where at?
View Quote

DIY fly in with Brooks Range Aviation 8/16 and they are dropping us off for a week. Still a little confused on how that works. They are carriers so are not allowed to guide. Leaves me wondering if we have to find a spot or can we just say anywhere at the front of the herd? I still need to do some more research.

I reserved for 4 of us but my hunting partner died last week. I am going to have to find someone to fill the two vacancies. This trip was supposed to be a father son trip but now it’s just my son and I. Regardless if we get into caribou it is going to be an adventure! I tried to get my son to do a float trip for moose and caribou but he didn’t want to spend that much time in a boat.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 9:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#25]

DIY fly in with Brooks Range Aviation 8/16 and they are dropping us off for a week. Still a little confused on how that works. They are carriers so are not allowed to guide. Leaves me wondering if we have to find a spot or can we just say anywhere at the front of the herd? I still need to do some more research.

I reserved for 4 of us but my hunting partner died last week. I am going to have to find someone to fill the two vacancies. This trip was supposed to be a father son trip but now it’s just my son and I. Regardless if we get into caribou it is going to be an adventure! I tried to get my son to do a float trip for moose and caribou but he didn’t want to spend that much time in a boat.
View Quote

Do they videos on YouTube? good way to learn how they do things, what to expect, and what its going to be like...With that said, since you don't have to have a guide, this is strictly a fly indoor off at a site they selected based on years of doing it...Now a bit on caribou..You are at the whim of the wind basically..You may get in there and get dropped off and never see a caribou, or you may get in their and the ground will basically be covered for as far as you see with caribou... F&G has a hotline number for caribou herds..
All zones of the Fortymile Caribou hunts are subject to openings and closings on short notice. Call the Fortymile hotline at (907) 267-2310 for information before departing for the field.

You need to call it before you leave the road system..whatever the hotline says at the time you leave the road is what is in affect for you until you come back to the road unless somebody notifies you of a change in orders...Do you have a sat phone? if not you can rent them and its a damn good idea for safety alone...Also is your deal include moving you if there are no caribou in the area?  I'ver heard some do/some don't..you want one that will...
One thing when flying into camp..pay attention with every brain and eyes you have in the plane..look far and wide for the herd, you will know it when you see it..also ask the pilot what he thinks about the herds position now and later..he flys over them daily, he knows if they are there or not and where they are headed...

This is the F&G emergency orders page..good thing to check once in a while when the hunt gets close(1-3 weeks before you fly..) With a sat phone you could have someone at home that you could call and check it for you if needed out in the bush...not a huge deal, but for sure check it the morning you fly..

Got a good spotting scope? They are handy in the big open areas for finding quality animals to stalk from a long ways off..you basically spot from high ground for a decent animal(normally the best bulls are at the back of bigger groups..not always but most...One scope is enough even for 4 guys....We normally watch from high ground on the edge of the herd travel direction so we can find a nice group approaching on the left or right so we can plan a sneak attack on low ground to get in position by the time they get to you..Takes a little watching the herds but its pretty easy to see the general course each group in a certain area is going to use as they cross in front of you...

I don't know if you know how to judge a male/female and a trophy versus am eat bull, F&G has videos and some writings on the web sight..worth the watch....

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hunting/caribouhunting/pdfs/bull_or_cow_caribou_how_to_distinguish_in_field.pdf

I am sure there is more, will have to think about it a bit...OH, and I am really sorry about your hunting partner..It makes it hard when you have someone you have hunted with and are comfortable with and then lose them...
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Do they videos on YouTube? good way to learn how they do things, what to expect, and what its going to be like...With that said, since you don't have to have a guide, this is strictly a fly indoor off at a site they selected based on years of doing it...Now a bit on caribou..You are at the whim of the wind basically..You may get in there and get dropped off and never see a caribou, or you may get in their and the ground will basically be covered for as far as you see with caribou... F&G has a hotline number for caribou herds..
All zones of the Fortymile Caribou hunts are subject to openings and closings on short notice. Call the Fortymile hotline at (907) 267-2310 for information before departing for the field.

You need to call it before you leave the road system..whatever the hotline says at the time you leave the road is what is in affect for you until you come back to the road unless somebody notifies you of a change in orders...Do you have a sat phone? if not you can rent them and its a damn good idea for safety alone...Also is your deal include moving you if there are no caribou in the area?  I'ver heard some do/some don't..you want one that will...
One thing when flying into camp..pay attention with every brain and eyes you have in the plane..look far and wide for the herd, you will know it when you see it..also ask the pilot what he thinks about the herds position now and later..he flys over them daily, he knows if they are there or not and where they are headed...

This is the F&G emergency orders page..good thing to check once in a while when the hunt gets close(1-3 weeks before you fly..) With a sat phone you could have someone at home that you could call and check it for you if needed out in the bush...not a huge deal, but for sure check it the morning you fly..

Got a good spotting scope? They are handy in the big open areas for finding quality animals to stalk from a long ways off..you basically spot from high ground for a decent animal(normally the best bulls are at the back of bigger groups..not always but most...One scope is enough even for 4 guys....We normally watch from high ground on the edge of the herd travel direction so we can find a nice group approaching on the left or right so we can plan a sneak attack on low ground to get in position by the time they get to you..Takes a little watching the herds but its pretty easy to see the general course each group in a certain area is going to use as they cross in front of you...

I don't know if you know how to judge a male/female and a trophy versus am eat bull, F&G has videos and some writings on the web sight..worth the watch....

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hunting/caribouhunting/pdfs/bull_or_cow_caribou_how_to_distinguish_in_field.pdf

I am sure there is more, will have to think about it a bit...OH, and I am really sorry about your hunting partner..It makes it hard when you have someone you have hunted with and are comfortable with and then lose them...
View Quote

Thanks! Sounds like we will be in 26A or 23. I will ask about moving if we miss the herd.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Thanks! Sounds like we will be in 26A or 23. I will ask about moving if we miss the herd.
View Quote

Hm,
Do you have Alaska and federal game reg books ? If not you should get them(They are free)..worse comes to worse I can probable stop down and pick both up for you and throw them in the mail to you...

Next questions...What are you going to do for bear protection?..bear spray is always good to have..it can work ok most times, but sometimes it won't due to wind.. I highly recommend everyone pack a pistol..sucks but even a 9mm has proven to be overwhelmingly  effective to stop a bear attack...A Glock 19 in a chest holster(worn outside your top layer is the standard, the idea is you can get the gun out with either hand if a bear is on you and has maybe your dominate one pinned...Their is a local place here that builds very good chest holsters specifically with bear country in mind and they are pretty affordable...I assume you are flying into anchorage, will have a day or two to get your shit(tags/license/any last minute gear before heading north...If you need a holster, let me know and I will hunt up the local places internet site and you can look the stuff over...Bear spray I think you have to buy here, not sure you can fly with it anymore..but any of the stores here will have it..cabelas for sure as well as sportsman's warehouse...If you are bringing pistols, unless you have already got proven bear stuff.I would highly recommend underwood ammo in your favorite caliber in hard cast lead..Worse comes to worse...I might be able to set you up with 2 complete  Glock 20/chest holsters/mags..you would like want to buy underwood 200 (important Glocks can hang a slide every once in a while on the oddball trigger pull with 220 grain hardcast..does not matter the maker..almost acts like you limp waisted the shot, I think it has to do with the 220 hard cast shape that causes it)..never had the issue with 200 grain HC... My Glock is a gen 3 SF, my son has a gen 4..I just have to make sure we rant going to need them for that week...a gun you are comfortable and accurate is most important...You will want the pistol with you 24/7..even in bed..You may never see a bear, but if any real amount of caribou are in the area..you will likely see at least a few..same for wolves..both animals spend a lot of time trailing the edges of the herd looking for the oddball opportunity..
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Hm,
Do you have Alaska and federal game reg books ? If not you should get them(They are free)..worse comes to worse I can probable stop down and pick both up for you and throw them in the mail to you...

Next questions...What are you going to do for bear protection?..bear spray is always good to have..it can work ok most times, but sometimes it won't due to wind.. I highly recommend everyone pack a pistol..sucks but even a 9mm has proven to be overwhelmingly  effective to stop a bear attack...A Glock 19 in a chest holster(worn outside your top layer is the standard, the idea is you can get the gun out with either hand if a bear is on you and has maybe your dominate one pinned...Their is a local place here that builds very good chest holsters specifically with bear country in mind and they are pretty affordable...I assume you are flying into anchorage, will have a day or two to get your shit(tags/license/any last minute gear before heading north...If you need a holster, let me know and I will hunt up the local places internet site and you can look the stuff over...Bear spray I think you have to buy here, not sure you can fly with it anymore..but any of the stores here will have it..cabelas for sure as well as sportsman's warehouse...If you are bringing pistols, unless you have already got proven bear stuff.I would highly recommend underwood ammo in your favorite caliber in hard cast lead..Worse comes to worse...I might be able to set you up with 2 complete  Glock 20/chest holsters/mags..you would like want to buy underwood 200 (important Glocks can hang a slide every once in a while on the oddball trigger pull with 220 grain hardcast..does not matter the maker..almost acts like you limp waisted the shot, I think it has to do with the 220 hard cast shape that causes it)..never had the issue with 200 grain HC... My Glock is a gen 3 SF, my son has a gen 4..I just have to make sure we rant going to need them for that week...a gun you are comfortable and accurate is most important...You will want the pistol with you 24/7..even in bed..You may never see a bear, but if any real amount of caribou are in the area..you will likely see at least a few..same for wolves..both animals spend a lot of time trailing the edges of the herd looking for the oddball opportunity..
View Quote

Good stuff! Thanks. Likely bringing a 329pd. I’ll need to round something up for my son. Already working on my list. If you don’t mind I may touch bases with you as questions come up.

We fly into Fairbanks and then on to Bettles for the flight out. Planning this with my son is going to be half the fun!
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 1:51:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Good stuff! Thanks. Likely bringing a 329pd. I’ll need to round something up for my son. Already working on my list. If you don’t mind I may touch bases with you as questions come up.

We fly into Fairbanks and then on to Bettles for the flight out. Planning this with my son is going to be half the fun!
View Quote

I'll help anyway I can...I am in anchorage..But north polar is in Fairbanks(well North Pole but its Fairbanks)...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top