Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2020 7:32:14 PM EDT
I had a Vortex PST Viper Gen 1 4-16x50 SFP MRAD on my Savage 10T 308 and swapped it over to my Savage mkii fvsr. I really like the scope but I could use a little more magnification. I shoot from under 50 yards out to 200 yards. Mostly at paper, but also steel. Possibly some egg shoots in the future. I am not sure if I want to put the Viper back on the 10T or leave it on the fvsr. Regardless I need another scope for a 10/22 I built my wife. She will play around with it the same as I do with the fvsr. I was thinking of putting the same scope on both .22's and the viper back on the 10T that sees very little action.  
I know Euro optic has the Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24 on closeout right now and was thinking about one. I also was looking at the Diamondback Tactical 6-25x50. I know the Diamondback is FFP, and the Strike Eagle has better glass and illuminated. The Diamondback is supposed to have a 10 yard Parallax and the SE is 20 Yards. The Diamondback is available in MRAD and the SE is only MOA In case you cant tell, I am kind of a Vortex fan boy. Almost all my optics are Vortex and I have pretty good luck with them. Will I be happy with either? Since I Am used to the SFP, should I stick with it? Will I drive myself crazy if I get the SE since my PST is MRAD? (Keep in mind the 10T sees very little use as we normally shoot the .22 for fun and cost) Any help and or first hand experience would be greatly appreciated. 
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:57:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#1]
I've used a couple Diamondback Tactical FFPs, I don't like going really high magnification on less expensive glass (say, over 20x, under $750) as it seems pointless for the last bit of magnification range. I'd take clarity over power every day of the week. Meaning, a clear 16x is way more usable than a blurry 24x. I'm also not a huge fan of most FFP reticles, as they're too small to use at lower mag ranges. I currently have 3 Bushnell FFP scopes since they were on sale cheap, but I've looked through a pile of scopes--and they all seem about the same to ME, in that the subtensions on the reticle is only really legible at the top third of the power range. 3-12 FFP, really only good from 8x-12x, under that too small to make out numbers and hash marks.

I'm no scope expert, but it really boils down to preference. I had a 6-24x FFP Bushnell Nitro that focused down to 10yds, glass was not great past about 20x, and the FFP MOA reticle was not great under about 14x let's say, so I really had a 14x-20x scope. And as far as parallax focus, are you chasing .001 groups with an air rifle at 10 yards where you need the focus that close? At 10yds with a 25yd focus scope, you can just turn the power down and the parallax is just not going to be that big of a deal.

I, and lots of other people just like me, used to do some pretty decent shooting with old 4x scopes with parallax fixed at 100 or 150 yards, before we realized that we were doing everything wrong.  My recommendation is to put your best or favorite scope on the gun you shoot the most! I'm to the point I wouldn't mind a Swarovski or Razor on a .22, but I'm fine with a basic scope on a hunting rifle I may look through for 10 minutes a year.

I currently have a 3-12x FFP, and two 2.5-15x FFP scopes, and the reason I chose those power ranges is that It's easier to have a clear sight picture with lower magnification, and the FFP reticle is usable for me at lower powers. The top third of the range is 8-12x, and about 10-15x for my crappy eyes. I can still use them as a nice fine crosshair at lower powers, clear down to 4x or so.

ETA--PS, I removed my Razor HD-LH 3-15 off of my main hunting rifle, because I got tired of having another knob to worry about, and the slippery power ring. On a hunting rifle, under 500 yards, I decided I wanted a super simple scope, so I went back to a Leupold Freedom 3-4x40 with it's big chunky power change lever. When I'm sitting at a bench, I don't mind having knobs to fiddle with, but on a hunting gun I just want to pick the gun up and shoot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:07:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bergy24] [#2]
Thanks for the info.  I took the plunge on  a diamondback tactical 6-24x50 yesterday for $300, (it's back ordered until March 15 though) I checked out my buddies diamondback the other day and I liked the reticle and while it wasn't as clear as my viper pst, it was still pretty clear.  This will be my first ffp so I'm sure it will take some getting used to. I really wish it was illuminated though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:55:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bergy24:
Thanks for the info.  I took the plunge on  a diamondback tactical 6-24x50 yesterday for $300, (it's back ordered until March 15 though) I checked out my buddies diamondback the other day and I liked the reticle and while it wasn't as clear as my viper pst, it was still pretty clear.  This will be my first ffp so I'm sure it will take some getting used to. I really wish it was illuminated though.
View Quote

Report back on your impressions.  I have one, recently installed on my Remington 541S.  It’s a big scope for that slim but very accurate sporter, but it works quite well at .22LR distances.  Turrets could be a little more crisp, but it tracks well and glass is decent, especially at its price point.  Until now, I’ve never pushed .22LR beyond 100 yards.  This is letting me do that.  With use of Strelok+ Pro app and 1050 fps subsonic match ammo, I’m having fun learning bullet drop and holding off for wind at 150 and 200 yards.  I’ve not tried shooting this rifle beyond 200 yards.  Wind becomes a very real challenge at 200!

My Strelok+ Pro app is right on with Eley Match ammo and 50 yard zero.  This through-the-retinal view is dead on right out to 200 with that ammo.

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:03:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#4]
Be sure your new scope can focus down at 25 yards or less, a distance at which a lot of rimfire is shot.  

Mine does not, it can't really go below about 50 yards when on high magnification.  Yes, I am disappointed.

Then again, it wasn't purchased with rimfire in mind, so,...

Just check it out before you buy.

That first scope you mentioned, Vortex PST Viper Gen 1 4-16x50 SFP MRAD, is only good down to 50 yards.

This one, Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24 , is good down to 20 yards

This one, Diamondback Tactical 6-25x50, is good down to 10 yards.

I'd say the Diamondback was best suited for dedicated rimfire use.  So, YOU DONE GOOD!
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:58:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#5]
The ability to be able to focus down to 10 yards has me thinking about buying one of the Diamondbacks and dedicating it to rimfire.  

Now that you've had yours for a few months, what can you tell me about it?  Does the image go dark when you dial up the magnification?  Is the image clear or hazy?  Do the adjustments track?
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
While I haven't used the scope a lot it is very nice considering the price.  I was able to pick it up for $299 @ B&H. I agree the turrets could be a little more positive but they aren't terrible. It has a very generous eye relief (about 4" +/-). No issues with focusing at 10 yards even at 24 x power. Once you have your cheek rest set and scope set up you shouldn't have any issues with focusing at any power.  My only thing I wish this scope had was a zero stop and illuminated reticle. Since this scope worked so well, and my Viper only focused down to 50 yards, I decided to buy a 2nd Diamondback 6-24x50, and installed it on my Savage Mark II, and put the Viper back on my 308. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if you're in the market.  B&H still has them for $299 as of last week.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:56:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#7]
One more question, if you don't mind.

If you order the MOA reticle, are the knobs calibrated in MOA and conversely, if you order the milliradian reticle, are the knobs calibrated in mils?  Basically, do they match the knobs to the reticle graduations?

P.S. - B&H has them at $400 but you can,"Call For Promotion: 800-606-6969".
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes,
MRAD Reticle has MRAD turrets
MOA Reticle  has MOA turrets

Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50  specs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top