Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2020 10:33:24 PM EDT
Finally decided on a .22 (Begera b14R) but I don’t know which I base to go with. I understand the concept of different moa base, but don’t know how to factor that in relation to picking the correct one. I have a strike Eagle 5-25 to put on it as well. It was a whole lot simpler buying a 30 mm cantilever mount and slapping a scope on an AR lol
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you reasonably believe will be your max range to target?  Or what range do you want to be capable to shoot?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reorx:
What do you reasonably believe will be your max range to target?  Or what range do you want to be capable to shoot?
View Quote

My range is 200 yards, the Range that does the .22 PRS seems to be 25-300 typically and they have had one to 350
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:31:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#4]
So if you want to be able to shoot to 350, consider:
1) How much elevation do you need (in mils or moa) for that range with your ammunition?
2) How much vertical adjustment (total, in mils or moa) do you have in your scope (top to bottom)?
3) Take 1/2 the answer to #2 and compare it to the answer to #1...  If 1/2 x Answer2 is greater than Answer1, you don't need any cant to your rail/base.  If 1/2 x Answer2 is less than Answer1, find the difference - that is the minimum amount of cant you will need in your base to be able to dial elevation corrections to 350 yards.  Note, you don't want the amount of cant in your base to exceed 1/2 x answer2 or you might have difficulty zeroing your rifle at closer ranges...

(PS: Listen to Rob, he's speaking from experience, I'm speaking of theory - I don't play with .22 rifle much and definitely not any serious distance!)  
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks @Rob01 and @Reorx that makes a little more sense. I’m taking a long range shooting class in the near future and I think that’ll help me better understand everything. I just have to have the rifle setup before I go. I’ve read articles about dialing and Mils and everything else, but I think it’ll make sense once I can see everything hands on
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Yup don't get confused and try bringing in linear measurements like inches into your scope. You scope doesn't adjust or care about linear. If it's mils then run data in mils and dial on or hold that mil data. If you miss then use the calibrated ruler, the reticle, in front of your eyes to tell you how many mils you need to adjust. Newer shooters get themselves confused by always going to inches. No need at all.
View Quote

That makes sense and also a hard concept to execute lol. I almost went with a moa scope for that exact reason, until I read enough articles that it finally clicked
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top