Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2020 11:28:58 PM EDT
I'm looking for a higher magnification scope for a .308. I am wanting something good for hitting steel silhouettes out to 600 yards. From my understanding of FFP vs SFP I believe I'd prefer SFP. I'd prefer not to spend over $800 unless it makes an extreme difference, spending less than $800 wouldn't upset me either of course but I feel like that is reasonable budget for my needs/desires. An illuminated reticle isn't needed but is okay. I strongly prefer a manufacturer with a lifetime warranty.

Some specs I definitely want are;

-Matte finish
-Tactical/open turrets
-Mil reticle and turrets

If there are any great deals, sales, or LE discounts available I'd love to know about them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#1]
Any particular reason you feel like you’d prefer SFP?  

For what you’re wanting, there’s zero practical benefit to it aside from cost savings.

As for LE discounts, pretty much every major optics manufacturers offers some type of .mil/.gov/LE discount program.  Many do them through websites like Experticity. Some, like Nightforce and Leupold, are done direct through them (you can find details on their website).
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a Vortex PST II SFP 3-15 refurbished from www.aaoptics.com
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:08:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ogive] [#3]
Nikon has some awesome scopes that fit your requirements.  Their scope division is going bye bye, and there are some great deals on some great glass to be had right now. Warranty is still Nikon.  I just picked up an FX1000.  It's an awesome scope.Nikon Black FX1000

You have to shop around - but there are deals to be had.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:33:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jaqufrost] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ogive:
Nikon has some awesome scopes that fit your requirements.  Their scope division is going bye bye, and there are some great deals on some great glass to be had right now. Warranty is still Nikon.  I just picked up an FX1000.  It's an awesome scope.Nikon Black FX1000

View Quote
These are great for the money. I just ordered my fifth. Zero stop is easy to use, glass is good for the price. I think for the money they beat the PST II line.

Europtic sometimes has them listed cheaper on Gunbroker/Ebay/Amazon/Scopelist. Check all five for the best delivered price.

https://www.eurooptic.com/nikon-black-riflescopes.aspx
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:42:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#8]
It's for recreational plinking (seeing how far I can consistently hit steel and how small of groups I can make) and it'll be on a semiauto.

I really don't know enough about the difference to choose FFP or SFP honestly, it seems like every time I research it the verdict is different.

I do know I want mrad and not moa. The scope I have the most experience with is a Leupold 3x10 with a duplex reticle and I dislike the lack of range estimation or holdover aids. It is also very lacking past 200 yards in my experience which is why I'm looking for at least a x20 power.

I have seen Nikon mentioned lately as being a candidate for deals but I'm not confident their warranty will actually be useful in 10 years if they're getting out of the scope business. Of course, a super price will lessen my concern with that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:11:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Another-Bill] [#9]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
These are great for the money. I just ordered my fifth. Zero stop is easy to use, glass is good for the price. I think for the money they beat the PST II line.

Europtic sometimes has them listed cheaper on Gunbroker/Ebay/Amazon/Scopelist. Check all five for the best delivered price.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Originally Posted By Ogive:

My second one, another 4-16x50, is being delivered today, both from Europtic.  They are FFP (first focal plane),  but IMO FFP is useful in this type of shooting.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mustang17:
It's for recreational plinking (seeing how far I can consistently hit steel and how small of groups I can make) and it'll be on a semiauto.

I really don't know enough about the difference to choose FFP or SFP honestly, it seems like every time I research it the verdict is different.

I do know I want mrad and not moa. The scope I have the most experience with is a Leupold 3x10 with a duplex reticle and I dislike the lack of range estimation or holdover aids. It is also very lacking past 200 yards in my experience which is why I'm looking for at least a x20 power.

I have seen Nikon mentioned lately as being a candidate for deals but I'm not confident their warranty will actually be useful in 10 years if they're getting out of the scope business. Of course, a super price will lessen my concern with that.
View Quote

With a Second Focal Plane optic, the reticle will stay the same size as you zoom, while the objects you are looking at will get bigger/smaller. Mil reticles are only correctly calibrated at the maximum zoom for the optic.

With a First Focal Plane reticle, the reticle will change sizes as you zoom.  With a FFP optic your mil grid is always correct for estimating distance or measuring impact changes to then dial into your optic.  My preference is FFP for most shooting as I like to be able to measure with my reticle and immediately dial the changes without worrying about being at max magnification.

Some target shooters prefer SFP because at max magnification the reticle will be smaller and that may be needed for really small targets that a FFP reticle may cover up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#13]
$500.....LOW Japan made, mil/mil, illuminated enhanced mil dot reticle, 3-15x.....buy it and be done with it.  These are excellent and are what you’re looking for.  Nothing else beats it at this price.

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-tactical-rifle-scope-3-15x50mm-sf-illuminated-emdr-reticle-33-9-6-8-fov-3-98-er-black-matte.html
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DodgeDakota:
$500.....LOW Japan made, mil/mil, illuminated enhanced mil dot reticle, 3-15x.....buy it and be done with it.  These are excellent and are what you're looking for.  Nothing else beats it at this price.

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-tactical-rifle-scope-3-15x50mm-sf-illuminated-emdr-reticle-33-9-6-8-fov-3-98-er-black-matte.html
View Quote

Had one of those awhile back.  IMO the Nikon FX1000 on clearance pricing are a better deal.  Nikon FX1000 at regular pricing doesn't beat it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The Nikon definitely looks like a good deal. I don't know why I always forget about LE discounts from manufacturers, I'm going to check those out. Thanks for all of the recommendations so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top