Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2020 11:39:39 PM EDT
I've been looking at the savage msr 10 LR in 308.  Anyone have any hands on experience?
It's a good price compared to top tier ar10's. Too good to be true?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't figured out what the front of the upper looks like. Is it actually milled with a threaded mount for the handguard? So everything is completely proprietary?

Kind of a deal breaker for me. Would rather have a Areo M5 or a PSA....
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I understand,  the only proprietary parts are upper, lower, and bcg.
That does not bother me. I don't have a single other gun that is "compatible " with anything else, except milspec ar15's. And in over 20 years of owning them I've never needed to replace a reciever.  So I guess the question is, does it really matter if those are proprietary?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#3]
The charging handle is also proprietary...larger than an AR15, smaller than an AR10. Mine (in 6.5)... was a bit hard to find a load for that it liked.  I have one now that is pretty good.  I like how light it is for a larger platform AR.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shayno:
From what I understand,  the only proprietary parts are upper, lower, and bcg.
That does not bother me. I don't have a single other gun that is "compatible " with anything else, except milspec ar15's. And in over 20 years of owning them I've never needed to replace a reciever.  So I guess the question is, does it really matter if those are proprietary?
View Quote

But what does the barrel nut design look like and what kind of tools do you need to change a barrel?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a small frame, so lots of proprietary parts, but much smaller and lighter than a typical large frame AR10.  Definitely better for hunting and actual use vs just a range toy.  However, it has a free-float mlok handguard and adjustable gas, still takes any stock and muzzle device, grip, etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one that I am very pleased with. Smooth operation, pleasant to shoot. Overall, it’s a great gun! I’m debating selling it though just because the closest place I can shoot it is 70 miles away. 😩
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shayno:
 the only proprietary parts are upper, lower, and bcg.
View Quote

I have always been impressed with savage, but I have yet to see one of these in the wild. I kinda always wanted one. I wound up buying a SW MP10 instead which is proprietary upper, lower, bcg, charging handle, aaaannnnnnd barrel. And on top of all that, the ambi controls get in the way of the trigger pocket, so I got a contained trigger and had to heavily modify the unit to fit.The barrel is really what kills it though, and I regret getting this rifle. I really wish I would have gotten an aero or something so that I could play with parts a little more.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#8]
At least one person on here has confirmed that the MSR takes DPMS pattern barrels. He put a Toolcraft bolt in it too.

I think Savage marketing it as a hunting gun is the reason we haven’t seen more in the wild.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Had one but wasn't overly impressed with the accuracy. Nice gun, functioned perfectly. 3-4 moa isn't good enough for me. Tried numerous different reloads and some factory ammo just couldn't tighten up the groups.

So off to the gun show it went. I get spoiled after shooting the DPMS 24inch bull barrel.

Yes it uses the DPMS pattern mag. Have a whole pile of them for sale new in the package.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top