Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2018 12:03:39 AM EDT
Just wondering if anyone has experienced the problem I'm having.

I have a Mark II FV-SR that is having extraction problems.  After I fire a round and pull the bolt back, empty round stays in the chamber.  The weird part is it will extract the spent round the second time I lock the bolt in the forward position and pull it back. Does this every time.
I have tried several online suggestions...
-clean the bolt face thoroughly after each range trip
-clean the extractor area of the bolt
-file the extractor lightly
-bend the tension clip on the bolt to increase the tension on the extractor

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

The only ammo I use is CCI SV.

I haven't contacted Savage yet but will soon if I can't remedy the problem.

Thanks in advanced!
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Did you take a brush and clean the chamber?

Also try a different ammo. It can help.
View Quote
Yes, I did take a brush to the chamber area.  To my eye, it's clean. I will try and use different ammo. It's a shame because this rifle likes the cci's
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Any burrs on the chamber face from the firing pin hitting it dry fireing. I had a 10/22 with that issue
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine has done this a few times.  My savage has two cleanout holes located on each side of the receiver to insert a pipe cleaner to clean the extractor grooves on the barrel. Crud builds up in the grooves and the extractor cant get enough grip to extract the case.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
As stated clean it real good and try different ammo , the Wolf Match made by Lapua is some of the most accurate ammo you can buy and is priced right.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
This is common with the FV-SR and mine did the exact same thing. Normally got worse when dirty then mostly went away once clean.

I fixed this by taking the bolt out and pulling the spring off that is retaining both extractors. Looks like a half circle and puts pressure on the extractors.

Once off I took a pair of pliers and squished the spring closer together than it comes stock so that there would be more pressure on the extractors.

It will be harder to put back on the bolt but once done it will put more pressure on the extractors and make them work better. Since doing this I have had zero failure to extract in over 1k rounds.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I just went through this. Contact Savage and let them know. They will send you a new clip and extractor. Fixed mine right up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same exact problem.  It seems that the left side extractor (as you look downward onto the bolt) isn't catching the rim.

Usually if I brush out the crud it helps, but it does look like that extractor is worn excessively - it doesn't have the sharp edge the right side does, it's kind of rounded over.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Did you take a brush and clean the chamber?

Also try a different ammo. It can help.
View Quote
I had the same problem with Blazer ammo.
CCI Standard vel & Federal eject without issue.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
It was a known issue with some savage mk2 style rifles. A call to savage asking for a replacement spring that surrounds the extractors is usually a fix. I can’t remember what it’s called but I had the same issue on both my sons mk2 and my fvsr and it was a quick fix. Some were not tensioned correctly when made and loose their springiness over time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought one this weekend, and it’s failing to extract CCI subsonic, but works just fine with Remington Golden bullet and CCI Quiet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#12]
yeah i just picked up a used one at my lgs, same issue. i got 20rnds flawless then bam every time put of nowhere, FTExtracts.

i had one new back in 2012 and it was perfect. thousand rounds through it like nothing. i tried making a new extractor from some spare high speed steel stock but it did the same thing. even pushig on the extractor with a screwdriver as it extracts does nothing. i took it back to the lgs to have the gunsmith look at it. someone rolly offloaded a dud rifle and i got stuck with it. :(
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top