Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2020 8:34:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironcross]
Anyone have a Savage Axis II PRECISION rifle, and/or what is your opinion of it. Interested in the 6.5 in particular.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:03:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dupemaster] [#1]
I came here to talk about this...

While not the “precision”, I shot a buddies axis II in 6.5 this weekend against a bunch of his really high dollar rifles.

We only went 100yds, but the sub .5” groups from all of them could not be told apart, so I went out to Walmart an bought the last HB they had for $337.

So, no I don’t have any experience with the precision, but the axis II in 6.5 with a good hand load is scary accurate and I’m excited to make this sucker as accurate as I can.

In short, tag.

ETA: his was a Walmart model and came with the shitty bushnell “sharpshooter” 4-12x40.

So did mine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:18:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironcross] [#2]
Years ago I had a $300 Savage 110 or 111, I forget what model exactly now, that was chambered in .223. I put a Timmey trigger, Choate stock and a Tasco scope on it and it would shoot 9/16" five shot groups at 200 yards. Savage makes decent barrels.
I have to laugh when I hear people rave about their bolt gun shooting 1" three shot groups at 100 yards. That's not really that good. My cheap Savage did almost twice as good at twice the distance with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Savage has been long known for putting the working man into the accuracy scene not to mention with less than $100 in tools almost anyone can do whatever they want with one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one i put in an XLR chassis and had the barrel threaded. It’s been a great shooter with factory ammo
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 12:32:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#5]
Great bargain gun... I paid $325 and bought a boyds stock for mine with bottom metal. The barrel is a regular 110 barrel and locking nut so there are no issues if you want to change barrels at some point. It is a great shooter as is. But the scope is super garbage. Take it off and put it on a 22 or throw it on a shelf for emergencies. And check to see if it has the improved mag catch instead of that cheap tab design.

However....for nearly the same prices you can go with the 12FV from bass pro or cabelas. Longer barrel and it is a 110 action. And if you want to step up, watch for rebates or sales and get the desert tactical. I'm about $700 in on mine Axis in total. I could have cut to the chase and gone with the desert tactical in CM.

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#6]
@ironcross

just noted you said precision. The comments about stocks and mags you can ditch. It's still the basic savage design but isn't a 110 action. It does take 110 barrels so the barrel swap is easy to do yourself in the future. Great gun for the price and it comes with the accutrigger. Competition shooters are not wild about the bolt throw and smoothness of the Savage action but I don't care about that, I only worry about group size and Savage has that figured out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
@ironcross

just noted you said precision. The comments about stocks and mags you can ditch. It's still the basic savage design but isn't a 110 action. It does take 110 barrels so the barrel swap is easy to do yourself in the future. Great gun for the price and it comes with the accutrigger. Competition shooters are not wild about the bolt throw and smoothness of the Savage action but I don't care about that, I only worry about group size and Savage has that figured out.
View Quote

No prob. Group size is too priority for sure. I'll deal with the bolt smoothness ok. Planning on putting a Vortex Viper HST 24x with Vortex Precision rings on it and a Harris swivel bipod with Podloc and a Badger Ordinance mount.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
So, speaking of group size...

I went out this weekend to sight in and see about getting a baseline for what is will do “out of the box”.

Again, this is not the precision model, just an axis II with a 22” HB.

I did put it on a bipod and put a leupold  scope base on it. I also turned trigger pull as low as it would go. It’s probably 2.5lb.

This is mi fist target (and only one that ended up working out, but I’ll explain that at the end.

I numbered the shots.

1 was the first shot after bore sighting.
2 was after adjusting down and getting dyslexic and turning the windage the wrong way.
3 was after I overcorrected windage and turned down a couple more clicks.
4-7 Was after my buddy Al told me to stop fucking around and shoot a group.

I actually though I missed paper on the last shot when I got the scope back on target, but Al who was spotting with his 24 power jus said “Jesus!” I asked where it went and he said “right through the middle.”

I did not measure it, but it’s real small.

Now it got interesting as Al said, ok, shoot one at 200.

My fist shot at 200 was about 3” from POA and a little high. I made no adjustments and took another shot. That was low and about 8” from POA.
The next couple shots were all over and just getting further away.

I went back to the 100yd target and took a couple more shots. Same thing, just got further from my poa until I was no longer on paper.

I pulled the bolt and went back to 50 to bore sight again and my scop was pointing 3 feet off the bore line.

I then grabbed the scope and gave it a shake.

Turns out I fucked up. I didn’t properly torque the scope rings and it pulled off the base. The ring was about 1/8 inch further up the tube and required tools to put back in place, so I put the rifle back in the bag.

Today will be spent fixing my screwups and hopefully I can get back on the range next week.

I’m pretty new to the idea of bolt guns and longer range shooting, so I’m treating this as a project to see how good I can make a cheap rifle and leans a few things along the way.

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dupemaster:
So, speaking of group size...

I went out this weekend to sight in and see about getting a baseline for what is will do “out of the box”.

Again, this is not the precision model, just an axis II with a 22” HB.

I did put it on a bipod and put a leupold  scope base on it. I also turned trigger pull as low as it would go. It’s probably 2.5lb.

This is mi fist target (and only one that ended up working out, but I’ll explain that at the end.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/7B3D8F49-D433-49A9-9084-D527D1048ABB-1654904.png

I numbered the shots.

1 was the first shot after bore sighting.
2 was after adjusting down and getting dyslexic and turning the windage the wrong way.
3 was after I overcorrected windage and turned down a couple more clicks.
4-7 Was after my buddy Al told me to stop fucking around and shoot a group.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/1CF50CEF-61FF-4B29-8174-E50690756592-1654908.jpg

I actually though I missed paper on the last shot when I got the scope back on target, but Al who was spotting with his 24 power jus said “Jesus!” I asked where it went and he said “right through the middle.”

I did not measure it, but it’s real small.

Now it got interesting as Al said, ok, shoot one at 200.

My fist shot at 200 was about 3” from POA and a little high. I made no adjustments and took another shot. That was low and about 8” from POA.
The next couple shots were all over and just getting further away.

I went back to the 100yd target and took a couple more shots. Same thing, just got further from my poa until I was no longer on paper.

I pulled the bolt and went back to 50 to bore sight again and my scop was pointing 3 feet off the bore line.

I then grabbed the scope and gave it a shake.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/E005D262-4106-4758-94BF-F0312D6808DF-1654911.jpg

Turns out I fucked up. I didn’t properly torque the scope rings and it pulled off the base. The ring was about 1/8 inch further up the tube and required tools to put back in place, so I put the rifle back in the bag.

Today will be spent fixing my screwups and hopefully I can get back on the range next week.

I’m pretty new to the idea of bolt guns and longer range shooting, so I’m treating this as a project to see how good I can make a cheap rifle and leans a few things along the way.

View Quote

Stuff happens. The important thing is that you were headed in the right direction in the beginning. Hopefully next trip out you'll be back on track.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Got the scope mocked up tonight and mounted a Harris bipod with Podloc and Badger Ordinance Mlok mount. Also swapped out the bolt handle for a larger factory Savage handle.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:02:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#11]
Originally Posted By Ironcross:
Got the scope mocked up tonight and mounted a Harris bipod with Podloc and Badger Ordinance Mlok mount. Also swapped out the bolt handle for a larger factory Savage handle.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65776/IMG_20201027_134618109_jpg-1656960.JPG
View Quote

Nice...threaded barrel too.

I paid $325 for my combo gun in 6.5. I just wanted a cheap entry into cm.... And then I could not leave it alone. It also turned into a project, decided to buy the boyds and learn myself how to bed an action and add pillars... So even though I think I'm in a little deep on a cheap rifle, it was fun to work with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Got the scope mocked up tonight and mounted a Harris bipod with Podloc and Badger Ordinance Mlok mount. Also swapped out the bolt handle for a larger factory Savage handle.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65776/IMG_20201027_134618109_jpg-1656960.JPG
View Quote

That’s a sweet looking setup!

Have you shot it yet?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 2:50:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironcross] [#13]
Attachment Attached File

Have you shot it yet?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Have you shot it yet?

Thanks!
No, looking at next week sometime.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/4/2020 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#14]
If it's like my axis in .223 or my neighbor's in 6.5, it will at least be a shooter with any ammo you put in it.

And it should shoot damn well with good ammo.

At least the base models are excellent for the price.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Swapped out the bolt body for a Glades.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Where can I find this in stock online
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Solace22:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Solace22:

I ordered mine from Cabela's
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#18]
So is the consensus the the Precision model is G2G?  Found one local for $799 and my 15 year old wants to get into long range shooting.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:23:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironcross] [#19]
Originally Posted By jonboy20:
So is the consensus the the Precision model is G2G?  Found one local for $799 and my 15 year old wants to get into long range shooting.
View Quote

Yes GTG for sure. With 140 grain factory ammo my Rifle shoots 1/2 MOA with minimal testing out to 400 yards so far.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the heads up about Glades. Oh and a pic of my Axis II because I really like it Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By prossound:
Thanks for the heads up about Glades. Oh and a pic of my Axis II because I really like it https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/85425/88E73A25-71FA-4BC8-AD6E-46966D4B9857_jpe-1909492.JPG
View Quote

👍
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top