Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2022 12:25:56 PM EDT
Not exactly a precision rifle. I'm looking at an Axis II in 223.
If had the cash I'd spend the extra couple hundred and get a Mossberg MVP or Ruger Ranch. I have a bunch of warmish loads with TAC loaded for the AR, my question is have any of you had pressure issues with shooting 5.56 spec loads from the savage 223 chambers? Leade long enough to handle it with out pressure spikes and blowing primers?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:29:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockPride] [#1]
I moved mine.  It kept sticking 5.56 brass in the chamber.  Did not check check for burrs, but just got tired of it ripping rims off.  So, she gone.  

Wished they made the Ruger Predator in 5.56 that took AR mags.  The Ranch, at 16”, might as well just get a PSA AR Carbine….

I’d get the Ruger Ranch if you really must get a bolt gun in this case.  And I’m a huge Savage fan, still owning several.  Just not the Axis series in .223.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GlockPride:
I moved mine.  It kept sticking 5.56 brass in the chamber.  Did not check check for burrs, but just got tired of it ripping rims off.  So, she gone.  

Wished they made the Ruger Predator in 5.56 that took AR mags.  The Ranch, at 16”, might as well just get a PSA AR Carbine….

I’d get the Ruger Ranch if you really must get a bolt gun in this case.  And I’m a huge Savage fan, still owning several.  Just not the Axis series in .223.
View Quote

I too would like to see the  Predator cambered in 5.56 . I'm thinking I have to save my pennies a little longer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JedYonkers:
Not exactly a precision rifle. I'm looking at an Axis II in 223.
If had the cash I'd spend the extra couple hundred and get a Mossberg MVP or Ruger Ranch. I have a bunch of warmish loads with TAC loaded for the AR, my question is have any of you had pressure issues with shooting 5.56 spec loads from the savage 223 chambers? Leade long enough to handle it with out pressure spikes and blowing primers?
View Quote

If you are after accuracy on a budget, instead of the Axis look at the $420ish 12FV as offered by BassPro/Cabelas.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eye-gor:

If you are after accuracy on a budget, instead of the Axis look at the $420ish 12FV as offered by BassPro/Cabelas.

View Quote
It's hard to beat the Savage heavy Varmint barrels when it comes to accuracy on a budget. The "V" in the model designation stated for Varmint which is Savage's heavy barrel. I would snag one of those Model 12FV's in a heart beat if they were available in a left hand version. My older Model 12 FVL in 308 is a tack driver as are my MkII GVL in 17m2 and MkII BTVLSS in 22lr.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you considered a Howa Mini Action 223 ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top