User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2020 3:40:04 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with one?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By epthunter:
Anyone have experience with one?
View Quote

Never saw the point of 450BM in a bolt gun ,my big bore go to calibers  are the 4570/450 Marlin in a lever action  or the 458 Lot in a bolt action . There may  be a case for the 450BM in an AR platform , but you can do so much better IMHO than the 450BM in a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
We can finally use straight walled cartridges in lower Michigan and Ohio. I like bolt guns better than my AR 15 for hunting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shortround] [#3]
FPFB

To actually answer your question OP, yes, it works well and is quite accurate in a bolt action.

I have two, a one off barrel for the Savage action from when the 450 was a new cartridge and a Ruger American, paired with the Leupold Vx Freedom 450 BM scope, with the dials setup already for 450.

Sighted in at 100 yds, the 200 yd mark on the dial gets you within 1/2" at 200 in my gun.  YMMV.  That's with Federal 250 gr. loads.

I have no doubt that hunting over familiar ground, with good landmarks for distance, I could nail a deer to at least 250.

I also have a Bushmaster upper and a 12" 450 SBR.  The Bowers Vers 458 works well with all of the above.

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:56:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: epthunter] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shortround:
FPFB

To actually answer your question OP, yes, it works well and is quite accurate in a bolt action.

I have two, a one off barrel for the Savage action from when the 450 was a new cartridge and a Ruger American, paired with the Leupold Vx Freedom 450 BM scope, with the dials setup already for 450.

Sighted in at 100 yds, the 200 yd mark on the dial gets you within 1/2" at 200 in my gun.  YMMV.  That's with Federal 250 gr. loads.

I have no doubt that hunting over familiar ground, with good landmarks for distance, I could nail a deer to at least 250. 

I also have a Bushmaster upper and a 12" 450 SBR.  The Bowers Vers 458 works well with all of the above.

View Quote

Thank you. The group I hunt with is migrating to bolt guns. I have that same scope. Looking forward to trying it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By epthunter:
We can finally use straight walled cartridges in lower Michigan and Ohio. I like bolt guns better than my AR 15 for hunting. 
View Quote

45 raptor?

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By robpiat:

45 raptor?

View Quote

Sounds like a good cartridge but I already have some loaded .450 Bm as well as brass and a scope with bdc. Not sure if the raptor is legal for hunting in Ohio or southern mich.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shortround] [#7]
It is.  I have a Satern barrel for a Savage for it.  I need to get the barrel off the donor rifle and get it mounted.  Probably need a go gage for that if I can find one.

The way I understand it, the 45 Raptor runs at 308 pressure (62k psi max), where the 450 operates using the 223 pressure limits (55k psi max).  That and 1/10th" more length on the case (1.8 vs 1.7) gives the Raptor a 300 fps lead.  Unfortunately, the Raptor has to be built on a 308 AR receiver.

1.8"case length means it is MI legal.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By shortround:
It is.  I have a Satern barrel for a Savage for it.  I need to get the barrel off the donor rifle and get it mounted.  Probably need a go gage for that if I can find one.

The way I understand it, the 45 Raptor runs at 308 pressure (62k psi max), where the 450 operates using the 223 pressure limits (55k psi max).  That and 1/10th" more length on the case (1.8 vs 1.7) gives the Raptor a 300 fps lead.  Unfortunately, the Raptor has to be built on a 308 AR receiver.

1.8"case length means it is MI legal.
View Quote

Sounds like an interesting setup. I can’t say I’m skilled enough to do such a thing. You should post pics when you’re  finished.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top