Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2018 7:44:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z]
Do we have a thread on this yet?  Something in between the Steiner T5XI and the Burris XTR II.

Steiner 4-16x56 SCR Zero Stop FFP Tac Knobs 5221

Description
The PX4i is a medium range scope with a 34mm tube, an illuminated first focal plane Special Competition Reticle (SCR), and a side parallax adjustment. The rugged Steiner PX4i 4-16x56 riflescope offers clear images and a fast-action reticle to tackle every day use or sudden action. The scope was designed for patrol and tactical operations. It features a compact and lightweight design, high contrast optics, and a wide field of view. The PX4i is waterproof up to 33 feet. Give yourself a clear advantage with Steiner's finest tactical scope.

Steiner Px4i 4-16x56 Features:
SCR Reticle - Steiner's proprietary reticle was designed to help engage long-distance targets in low-light conditions.
Windage and Elevation Knobs - Designed for precise adjustment, the dials are calibrated so that 1 click equals .1 mRAD.
Rugged Construction - The scope tubes are built from solid, high-grade aluminum stock so there are no welds or seams, for greater strength and durability.

Specifications
Item ConditionNew
Scope Weight:30 oz
Scope Length:14.6"
Magnification Range:4-16x
Scope Objective Diameter:56mm
Scope Tube Size / Mount:34mm
Scope Turret Adjustment:.1 mrad with zero stop
30 mrad elevation with rotation indicator
16 mrad windage
Parallax Adjustment:Left Side Focus Parallax Adjustment 50m->8
Reticle Position:First Focal Plane
Field of View:27.5ft @ 100yds (4x)
6.9ft @ 100yds (16x)
Eye Relief:.5" - 4.0"
Illuminated Reticle:Yes, Rotary Dial
CR2032 Battery
Scope Finish:Matte Black
UPC000381852212
MPN5221

https://www.eurooptic.com/5221-Steiner-Steiner-P4Xi-4-16x56-SCR-Zero-Stop-FFP-Tac-Knob.aspx

http://www.scopelist.com/5221-steiner-steiner-p4xi-4-16x56-scr-zero-stop-ffp-tac-knob.aspx
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one mounted on my Tikka CTR and love it.  Very clear glass and the turrets have nice smooth clicks to them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:46:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#2]
Nice.  Any chance to compare it to the  T5XI scopes?

No throw lever or scope covers included?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m6z:
Nice.  Any chance to compare it to the  T5XI scopes?

No throw lever or scope covers included?
View Quote
I've only handled a T5Xi in a store once and it was very nice.  I bought the P4Xi because it was right in my budget.  No throw lever or scope covers came with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:05:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#4]
Thanks for the info.  I've been hunting for a deal on a T5XI for quite awhile and just bought one.  I then stumbled upon the P4xi while reading up some more on the T5XI scopes.  There doesn't seem to  be much info out there on the new 4-16.

How long have you had it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#5]
That's the same price I paid for my 5-25 T5xi brand new. I like the scope but the price point is too close to the T5xi, especially the 3-15.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By m6z:
Thanks for the info.  I've been hunting for a deal on a T5XI for quite awhile and just bought one.  I then stumbled upon the P4xi while reading up some more on the T5XI scopes.  There doesn't seem to  be much info out there on the new 4-16.

How long have you had it?
View Quote
I got in on the first run so I think April/May 2017.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of problems with the ones I had.  As soon as the front rings were tightened greater than 5 in-lb the parallax adjustment would bind and stop working due to some internal clearance issue (or something similar).  I was mounting them on a Larue OBR mount.  The first two were promptly replaced by Eurooptics but they had the same problem.  Those were returned as well.  I was not the only one to have the problems, just the first one to report it.  Sales of this scope have been suspended and they are not on the website any more.

Steiner ended up crediting me and I replaced them with something else.  No problems with Eurooptics.  They were good to deal with.  The German Military series Steiner scope that I have is flawless.  The Px4I have design problems.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, I heard they are redesigning some aspects of the scope before reintroducing them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Any updates on these scopes?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:39:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: COCKEDANDGLOCKED] [#10]
Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 and T5Xi 3-15x50-34mm FFP
Originally Posted By 2002:

Any updates on these scopes?
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precision-Rifles/Steiner-P4xi-4-16x56-BFS-999/5-8662/

$999.

dont know if it's still on sale.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems like a really good deal on a really nice scope. Those who have seen both, would you recommend this over a NF NXS? I am currently in the market for a scope and this Steiner seems to be a it of scope for the money.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#12]
P4Xi is a hell of deal right now at CameralandNY.

I have just finished my review of it as well:

http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2512

If you call Doug a Cameraland and mentione my name, you'll get a gift certificate of $50 in addition to the current sale he has of $849.

General disclaimer: I do not make anything if you buy a scope from Doug.  There is no affiliate account with him or anything like that.  I think it is a really decent scope and since I am sorta friendly with Doug, I convinced him to offer an extra perk for people who read my ramblings.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:27:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RandyLahey01] [#13]
Thanks for posting your review. Did you happen to have any glare (lack of a better word) with the illumination during night time use? I saw a sniper hide review and they said theirs had some that was pretty significant.

@DarkLordOfOptics
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 5:08:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordOfOptics] [#14]
I am not sure what you mean by glare.  Perhaps flare?

When there is a bright light source in a generally dark environment all scopes will have some amount of flare.  In this scope, it is very well controlled.  I know it went through a re-design last year, so perhaps they looked at the earlier version.  The one that is out now seems very good in low light.

Reticle illumination can go very low, so it is quite unobtrusive.  Even when set quite bright to take a picture, it did not spill over much at all (there is a picture in my review).

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry for the confusion. I went back to the review and it was from sniper central. They called it “light spillage” and it happened past the 5th or 6th illumination setting. Here is a picture.

Attachment Attached File

I’m new at picking a higher quality scope and this one seems like a winner. I just would like to buy once cry once so thanks for taking the time to explain your experience for me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DarkLordOfOptics:
P4Xi is a hell of deal right now at CameralandNY.

I have just finished my review of it as well:

http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2512

If you call Doug a Cameraland and mentione my name, you'll get a gift certificate of $50 in addition to the current sale he has of $849.

General disclaimer: I do not make anything if you buy a scope from Doug.  There is no affiliate account with him or anything like that.  I think it is a really decent scope and since I am sorta friendly with Doug, I convinced him to offer an extra perk for people who read my ramblings.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
View Quote
At that price I had to try one based on your review.    I'll let you know how I like it when it arrives.  I've got an AR with a JP Super Match barrel that I think it will mate well with.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I got one as well. From what I was reading, it sounds like a really good scope at its normal price point.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you tell Doug, I sent you for a $50 gift certificate?

ILya
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:
Sorry for the confusion. I went back to the review and it was from sniper central. They called it “light spillage” and it happened past the 5th or 6th illumination setting. Here is a picture.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/456485/7EA54A2E-4F2B-4AB1-A57F-96D9BD5D245A_jpeg-863221.JPG

I’m new at picking a higher quality scope and this one seems like a winner. I just would like to buy once cry once so thanks for taking the time to explain your experience for me.
View Quote
In low light, you are not supposed to crank up illumination.  Most scopes will do that if you crank it up.

ILya
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the tip on that, I didn’t know. I spoke with Neil, very cool guy, and friendly. Chatted for quite a few minutes. I didn’t mention you because I was already getting it for 799 shipped. It’s a great deal so I didn’t want to ask for more.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#22]
You guys that got them, please post your thoughts when you get them. I have a P4XI 1-4 and its a great scope, no reason to think the 4-16 wouldn't be either but not too much info out there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Will do. This is my first higher end scope, the other is a leupold so that’s all I have to compare to.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Why no xmas tree reticle?  The reticle on this thing eliminates it right off the bat.

How are the guts?  p4xi 1-4 was mushy and likely lots of plastic guts, which is fine for a set it and forget it scope.  Is this all metal in the erector assy?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#25]
From the reviews that I read, the knobs are nicer than the ones on the t5xi. Is it just the fact that there is no "tree" that you not like the reticle?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#26]
From the reviews that I read, the knobs are nicer than the ones on the t5xi. Is it just the fact that there is no "tree" that you not like the reticle?
View Quote
These using German Schott glass like the LPV p4xi?

Hope to continue to hear good things regarding the turrets and tracking.

Correct, I do not like the reticle.  Should have used a tree and an open center like an EBR-2C or something similar.  That's pretty much perfection for a tactical rifle scope.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#27]
It says on there website that it uses German glass. YouTube videos show the turrets to be very good. Not mushy at all. Mine should arrive tomorrow so I will give it a look over and post my thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 10:37:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TXBO] [#28]
It says on there website that it uses German glass. YouTube videos show the turrets to be very good. Not mushy at all. Mine should arrive tomorrow so I will give it a look over and post my thoughts.
View Quote
I've got one coming today also.  I feel safe in saying, if this scope had mushy turrets, DarkLord wouldn't have missed it.  He would have warned us.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quickly gave the scope a look over. I’m impressed. Considering I spent a similar amount on a leupold, this scope blows it out of the water. It’s very clear, brings in a lot of light, and turrets are not mushy to me. Mushiness is based on my experience with an 800 dollar leupold and a strike Eagle. I am not sure if the battery is low but the illumination doesn’t seem day light bright. I will play around and report back. When I get rings and get it mounted, I will take some good pictures.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quickly gave the scope a look over. I’m impressed. Considering I spent a similar amount on a leupold, this scope blows it out of the water. It’s very clear, brings in a lot of light, and turrets are not mushy to me. Mushiness is based on my experience with an 800 dollar leupold and a strike Eagle. I am not sure if the battery is low but the illumination doesn’t seem day light bright. I will play around and report back. When I get rings and get it mounted, I will take some good pictures.
View Quote
I got mine also.  First impression is all positive.  Very nice optical clarity.  Very forgiving eye box.  The last term I would use to describe the turrets is mushy.  These turrets are very audible and defined.  They are good turrets.  If I had to be real critical, I'd say they are on the stiff side.

The closest thing I own to compare it to would probably be a SWFA SS 3-15x.  I'll try put them side by side in the next day or two.  If the weather holds out I'll try to do a tracking test tonight.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Cool. Thanks for the review. Let me know how it compares.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Those of you with a nightforce SHV F1 how would you compare it to the P4xi?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:44:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TXBO] [#33]
Originally Posted By TXBO:

I got mine also.  First impression is all positive.  Very nice optical clarity.  Very forgiving eye box.  The last term I would use to describe the turrets is mushy.  These turrets are very audible and defined.  They are good turrets.  If I had to be real critical, I'd say they are on the stiff side.

The closest thing I own to compare it to would probably be a SWFA SS 3-15x.  I'll try put them side by side in the next day or two.  If the weather holds out I'll try to do a tracking test tonight.
View Quote
Got it zeroed and did a quick tracking test.  It was dead on out to 10 mils.  Then took it from 400 to 600 shooting steel alternating groups between it and the SWFA SS.  Both of these scopes really have nice clarity for the money.  As I first started shooting, I thought the SWFA had the edge.  But as the sun started to set and clouds set in, the Steiner really started to shine.  In lower light, the Steiner clearly was the winner.

These features on the Steiner clearly make it worth the few extra dollars over the SWFA and at $799 a real bargain:
Zero Stop
Illuminated reticle

FYI... I am not an optics expert or a professional reviewer.  These are just one man's observations.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#34]
@TXBO is your illumination daylight bright? I tried mine out during the day and couldn’t see the illumination.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#35]
@TXBO is your illumination daylight bright? I tried mine out during the day and couldn’t see the illumination.
View Quote
Sorry but I didn't even check.  I rarely have a need for illumination during the day so it didn't even occur to me to look.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Is this the best deal going right now? I need glass for my 6.5 Grendel and this has the features that I’m looking for.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By akrox:
Is this the best deal going right now? I need glass for my 6.5 Grendel and this has the features that I’m looking for.
View Quote
I think so.  You won’t be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:33:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RandyLahey01] [#38]
I can agree with the above. One of the best deals going around and it is a pretty nice scope. I used it to measure a satellite dish on a water tower 1 miles away. The dish is roughly 32-34 inches based on my calculations with the scope.

ETA: It is a pretty big scope so plan on that with rings etc.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Great info in this thread.

I’m trying to decide on the Steiner or the vortex PST Gen II 5-20 to go on a Seekins Havak Bravo in 6.5 creedmoor.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 870Fan:
Great info in this thread.

I’m trying to decide on the Steiner or the vortex PST Gen II 5-20 to go on a Seekins Havak Bravo in 6.5 creedmoor.
View Quote
I'm hearing good things about that rifle.  You'll have to give us a report.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Will do. I ordered the Steiner P4X1 4-16 from DSG to take advantage of their deal with the free rings and will have the gun up and running in next couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#42]
@TXBO Got the P4xi mounted on the Seekins Havak Bravo and sighted it in at 100 yards and was very very pleased with the rifle/optic combo. I got half MOA groups with Hornady 140 gr match and Win 140 gr March. The white box Win 125 gr shot just less than MOA. I’m new to precision rifles and think a better shooter could have shrunk those groups.

When I get some more time behind the rifle and optic, I’ll try to post a more detailed review.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 870Fan:
@TXBO Got the P4xi mounted on the Seekins Havak Bravo and sighted it in at 100 yards and was very very pleased with the rifle/optic combo. I got half MOA groups with Hornady 140 gr match and Win 140 gr March. The white box Win 125 gr shot just less than MOA. I’m new to precision rifles and think a better shooter could have shrunk those groups.

When I get some more time behind the rifle and optic, I’ll try to post a more detailed review.
View Quote
That's a nice setup.  Great first results.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Looking for a new scope for a FN SCAR 20s and saw the Steiner at DSG Arms.  Seems like really great deal at $899 plus a free set of Steiner rings.

I was considering a Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 on the high side or a Vortex Viper PST II 3-15 on the low side.

Best prices for me:

NF SHV $1032
Steiner P4Xi $899
Vortex PST II $719

I liked the review by Dark Lord Of Optics on the Steiner.  It is the main reason I'm giving the Steiner such strong consideration.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:33:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mi650] [#45]
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 6:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCV_117] [#46]
Originally Posted By rleonard:
Lots of problems with the ones I had.  As soon as the front rings were tightened greater than 5 in-lb the parallax adjustment would bind and stop working due to some internal clearance issue (or something similar).  I was mounting them on a Larue OBR mount.  The first two were promptly replaced by Eurooptics but they had the same problem.  Those were returned as well.  I was not the only one to have the problems, just the first one to report it.  Sales of this scope have been suspended and they are not on the website any more.

Steiner ended up crediting me and I replaced them with something else.  No problems with Eurooptics.  They were good to deal with.  The German Military series Steiner scope that I have is flawless.  The Px4I have design problems.
View Quote
In addition to the zero stop issues I'm having, I'm also having issues with the parallax. How do I know if this was one of the optics that was messed up? I guess I'm calling Steiner in the morning to sort this out.

Edit: adjusted the position and tension of the rings and I don’t have parallax issues anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top