Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

SIG Cross release date? (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/4/2020 1:52:45 PM EDT
Any info from sig on the production release date on these?  My Father in law is trying to get me in to long range shooting and would like one of these in 6.5 creedmoor.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:55:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#1]
I’m sure it’s a decent gun in that caliber and all.  

But you really need the Cross chambered in .277 Fury.  

The .277 IS NOT just some new fad; it’s not just another new caliber.  

This is the Fury’s proprietary case:

The case head is a ultra strong steel (the rest is brass).

It’s steel case head is required because the Fury is designed for 80,000 PSI operating chamber pressure.  Most centerfire chamberings top out at 55,000 to 60,000 psi.

.Mil might adopt the Fury (the debate is on).  Sig designed it for .mil and Sig bet a ton of $$$ it will be adopted.

If that happens, the Fury is not going away anytime soon.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah the muzzle velocity of the 277 and potential is very tempting!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
I’m sure it’s a decent gun in that caliber and all.  

But you really need the Cross chambered in .277 Fury.  

The .277 IS NOT just some new fad; it’s not just another new caliber.  

This is the Fury’s proprietary case:

https://gastatic.com/digest/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Levi-Sim-2-1024x768.jpg

The case head is a ultra strong steel (the rest is brass).

It’s steel case head is required because the Fury is designed for 80,000 PSI operating chamber pressure.  Most centerfire chamberings top out at 55,000 to 60,000 psi. 

.Mil might adopt the Fury (the debate is on).  Sig designed it for .mil and Sig bet a ton of $$$ it will be adopted.

If that happens, the Fury is not going away anytime soon.

View Quote

If you buy the 277 does it come with a couple barrels?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RePp:

If you buy the 277 does it come with a couple barrels?
View Quote

It might be reasonable to assume it'll burn faster than something similar but we don't know. It might be less, faster powder or something else we haven't thought of. Only experience will tell.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By robpiat:

It might be reasonable to assume it'll burn faster than something similar but we don't know. It might be less, faster powder or something else we haven't thought of. Only experience will tell.
View Quote

That pressure tells me its going to love barrels tenderly not that it wont be worth it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#7]
How is the brass made? Its dissimilar metals, is it pressed or welded or what? Is it re-loadable? I don't see many reloading before it splitting. I hope it works
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
I’m sure it’s a decent gun in that caliber and all.  

But you really need the Cross chambered in .277 Fury.  

The .277 IS NOT just some new fad; it’s not just another new caliber.  

This is the Fury’s proprietary case:

The case head is a ultra strong steel (the rest is brass).

It’s steel case head is required because the Fury is designed for 80,000 PSI operating chamber pressure.  Most centerfire chamberings top out at 55,000 to 60,000 psi. 

.Mil might adopt the Fury (the debate is on).  Sig designed it for .mil and Sig bet a ton of $$$ it will be adopted.

If that happens, the Fury is not going away anytime soon.

View Quote

Sure...if you HATE barrel life.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RePp:

That pressure tells me its going to love barrels tenderly not that it wont be worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RePp:
Originally Posted By robpiat:

It might be reasonable to assume it'll burn faster than something similar but we don't know. It might be less, faster powder or something else we haven't thought of. Only experience will tell.

Fuck it. Barrels are cheap. I'm interested in getting one in .277 Fury to try it out.

Worst case scenario you rebarrel it to something else assuming the Fury has a .473" case head. It'll be fun to play with and I have some... 140 or 150? Bergers around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:22:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Poop3rscoop3r:

Fuck it. Barrels are cheap. I'm interested in getting one in .277 Fury to try it out. 

Worst case scenario you rebarrel it to something else assuming the Fury has a .473" case head. It'll be fun to play with and I have some... 140 or 150? Bergers around here somewhere. 
View Quote

Meh, probably no worse on barrels then 6.5 prc or several of the other small bore/large diameter cased offerings out now days... Not to mention sometimes the performance is worth the price...
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the Sig Cross, but it's a bit on the light side for long range shooting.  I see it more as a long range capable hunter.  Very field packable while maintaining excellent accuracy and distance capability.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Well 6.5 PRC is running at a SAAMI max of 62K PSI and that is at 80K so probably a little worse on barrels.
View Quote

I have a 243 AI that puts 48ish grains of Reloder 26 down a 6mm tube. I'm no stranger to 1k round barrel life.

I'm just interested in it because it's different. I have a safe full of "practical" rifles as do many of you guys. As for the OP- I wouldn't start out with one. Get a 6.5 Creedmoor like everyone else and enjoy the cheap ammo. This Sig ammo isn't going to be cheap...
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:59:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NightWolf] [#15]
SIG says they will sell barrel kits in the near future for the cross.  If you buy the 6.5 now you will be able to get the .277 fury bolt and barrel later.  

In all the promo YouTube videos SIG is say the .277 has 9’ less drop at 1,000 yards than 6.5cm.  Pretty crazy.  

The Cross is a modern lightweight packable hunter that can second as a long range precision rifle.  Keep in mind the 6.5cm barrel is 18” and the .277 is 16”. Both are thread and come with SIG’s suppressor mount standard and adapter for non SIG cans.

SHOT show they said MSRP was going to be $1,499 but their website shows at $1,699 for black and $1,799 for First Lite camo.

Reloading is not possible at this time, as there is no dies available and with the case being made up of 3 components (steel base, aluminum washer and thin walled brass shell) I’d speculate SIG doesn’t want any liability in the event of a misshap.  They will also want to make money off the cartridge.

Your FFL should be able to order you one
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By NightWolf:
SIG says they will sell barrel kits in the near future for the cross.  If you buy the 6.5 now you will be able to get the .277 fury bolt and barrel later.  

In all the promo YouTube videos SIG is say the .277 has 9’ less drop at 1,000 yards than 6.5cm.  Pretty crazy.  

The Cross is a modern lightweight packable hunter that can second as a long range precision rifle.  Keep in mind the 6.5cm barrel is 18” and the .277 is 16”. Both are thread and come with SIG’s suppressor mount standard and adapter for non SIG cans.

SHOT show they said MSRP was going to be $1,499 but their website shows at $1,699 for black and $1,799 for First Lite camo.

Your FFL should be able to order you one
View Quote

You can’t really order them if skus and pricing aren’t available.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:24:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NightWolf] [#17]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

You can’t really order them if skus and pricing aren’t available.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NightWolf:
SIG says they will sell barrel kits in the near future for the cross.  If you buy the 6.5 now you will be able to get the .277 fury bolt and barrel later.  

In all the promo YouTube videos SIG is say the .277 has 9’ less drop at 1,000 yards than 6.5cm.  Pretty crazy.  

The Cross is a modern lightweight packable hunter that can second as a long range precision rifle.  Keep in mind the 6.5cm barrel is 18” and the .277 is 16”. Both are thread and come with SIG’s suppressor mount standard and adapter for non SIG cans.

SHOT show they said MSRP was going to be $1,499 but their website shows at $1,699 for black and $1,799 for First Lite camo.

Your FFL should be able to order you one

You can’t really order them if skus and pricing aren’t available.

Yes, to be more clear, when they are available your FFL can order you one.

Full disclaimer:  I’m only going off all the promo videos, articles and web pages available.  I’m not making claims, but repeating what SIG reps have said or articles about the Cross have stated.

https://xtremegunsandammo.com/product-category/rifles-for-sale/sig-sauer-rifles-for-sale/sig-cross-rifle/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.recoilweb.com/sig-sauer-cross-rifle-sig-returns-to-the-bolt-action-market-155231.html%3famp

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/12/19/new-sig-sauer-cross-rifle-companys-1st-u-s-made-bolt-action-hunting-rifle
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I just point it out because people frequently pre order guns from dealers that don’t really have any connection to get them guns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Well 6.5 PRC is running at a SAAMI max of 62K PSI and that is at 80K so probably a little worse on barrels.
View Quote

I am sure those old black powder guys said the same shit about smokeless powder, also sure those same guys back in the day said the same thing when the first magnum cartridges came to market and pressures went from 35-45000 psi and jumped up into the 60,000plus psi range......Will this cartridge get the barrel life of say a .308 wm...nope, but neither will the 6.5cm, the 6.5 prc, or any number of other current hot ticket cartridges...Some people will find the barrel wear fine for the performance increase it represents and the shooting they plan on doing..others will make all sorts of claims how its not needed and there are better choices because it doesn't meet their opinion..
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

I am sure those old black powder guys said the same shit about smokeless powder, also sure those same guys back in the day said the same thing when the first magnum cartridges came to market and pressures went from 35-45000 psi and jumped up into the 60,000plus psi range......Will this cartridge get the barrel life of say a .308 wm...nope, but neither will the 6.5cm, the 6.5 prc, or any number of other current hot ticket cartridges...Some people will find the barrel wear fine for the performance increase it represents and the shooting they plan on doing..others will make all sorts of claims how its not needed and there are better choices because it doesn't meet their opinion..
View Quote

All that was said at that high of pressure it's going to smoke barrels and it will. I for one love burning up barrels and it's why I order a couple at a time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Yup guess we will see if it ever comes to commercial use but with that brass and pressures I am not betting it will be a huge hit although there are always people who will buy it.
View Quote

My guess is  hunters will be using it, as will some of the long range shooters.  I doubt its much harder on barrels then 6.5prc or some of the other small bore/big case rounds available now, especially once proper powders are formulated.  I would imagine it will bring about new powders designed to help with erosion and even more heavier for cal. bullets...Regardless over the next few years cartridges will reach a higher level again...very few will  give up 2-800fps or more velocity for the same bullet in the same size cartridge/action, especially if barrel life isn't much worse...I will guess that AR/remage type quick change actions will be the normal for these new cartridges where an off the shelf barrel can easily be swapped at home for cheap...
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

My guess is  hunters will be using it, as will some of the long range shooters.  I doubt its much harder on barrels then 6.5prc or some of the other small bore/big case rounds available now, especially once proper powders are formulated.  I would imagine it will bring about new powders designed to help with erosion and even more heavier for cal. bullets...Regardless over the next few years cartridges will reach a higher level again...very few will  give up 2-800fps or more velocity for the same bullet in the same size cartridge/action, especially if barrel life isn't much worse...I will guess that AR/remage type quick change actions will be the normal for these new cartridges where an off the shelf barrel can easily be swapped at home for cheap...
View Quote

I'm wondering how bad the recoil will be.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

I'm wondering how bad the recoil will be.
View Quote

Meh, recoil is easy to get controllable..a muzzle break, added weight, a mercury tube, a better recoil pad, a better stock/chassis design......
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Meh, recoil is easy to get controllable..a muzzle break, added weight, a mercury tube, a better recoil pad, a better stock/chassis design......
View Quote

Yeah, there are measures that can be taken.  But in the context of the Sig Cross, it's a fairly lightweight rifle platform.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

Yeah, there are measures that can be taken.  But in the context of the Sig Cross, it's a fairly lightweight rifle platform.
View Quote

Very true, but they are making titanium brakes now days..and adding a mercury tube in the stock does wonders while not adding huge weight...
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

I would have thought it’d be a lot worse than the PRC just because of the pressure. Guess we’ll see.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]

I would have thought it’d be a lot worse than the PRC just because of the pressure. Guess we’ll see.
View Quote

Time will tell, but I know when the 7rum was the rage, it was short lived because of how much harder it was on barrels then the 300rum was..some still shoot it, but the barrel life difference is quite amazing..that's jumping down from .308 to 7mm...same case/powders/primers...small bore/large case is hard on lands..but heavy bullets and certain powders can really help..as can shooting style...
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I said screw it and just ordered a TIKKA T3X CTR 24" instead.  Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ARdvark:
I said screw it and just ordered a TIKKA T3X CTR 24" instead.  Thanks for the info guys.
View Quote

That’s a pretty different gun than the cross. Better suited to the target side for sure.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Is the ammo going to be in the $1 a round range or something wacky?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By NightWolf:
SIG says they will sell barrel kits in the near future for the cross.  If you buy the 6.5 now you will be able to get the .277 fury bolt and barrel later.  

In all the promo YouTube videos SIG is say the .277 has 9’ less drop at 1,000 yards than 6.5cm.  Pretty crazy.  

The Cross is a modern lightweight packable hunter that can second as a long range precision rifle.  Keep in mind the 6.5cm barrel is 18” and the .277 is 16”. Both are thread and come with SIG’s suppressor mount standard and adapter for non SIG cans.

SHOT show they said MSRP was going to be $1,499 but their website shows at $1,699 for black and $1,799 for First Lite camo.

Reloading is not possible at this time, as there is no dies available and with the case being made up of 3 components (steel base, aluminum washer and thin walled brass shell) I’d speculate SIG doesn’t want any liability in the event of a misshap.  They will also want to make money off the cartridge.

Your FFL should be able to order you one
View Quote

*twitches in MPX*
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#34]

That’s a pretty different gun than the cross. Better suited to the target side for sure.
View Quote

thats what i am wanting to do with it anyway. :)
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I want one. For those of you that plan on getting one what optic are you going to use?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Hoosier_Home:
I want one. For those of you that plan on getting one what optic are you going to use?
View Quote

Nx8 or kahles
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RePp:

Nx8 or kahles
View Quote

Makes sense.  What power / configuration?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#38]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Makes sense.  What power / configuration?
View Quote

NX8 mil xt 2-20 or Kahles 3-18 or the 5-25 skmr3.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Hoosier_Home:
I want one. For those of you that plan on getting one what optic are you going to use?
View Quote

NF ATACR...this is the only scope I will use.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TXGUNNER308:

NF ATACR...this is the only scope I will use.
View Quote

Emotionally invested or is there something specific only the ATACR brings to the table?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:40:20 AM EDT
[#41]
anyone know a price of the 6.5 cross?

was going to get a sako s20 precision whenever they come in stock but also interested in the sig.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Based on SHOT interview, this rifle is more for the hunters than precision shooters.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:26:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#43]
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:
anyone know a price of the 6.5 cross?

was going to get a sako s20 precision whenever they come in stock but also interested in the sig.
View Quote

I was told by my dealer expect the 1500-1700 range

But who knows....

I am planning to get one in 308 and install a KAC MAMS brake and use my KAC suppressor. As much as I would like to get one of the Ferrari cartridges, I am keeping my ammo line simple

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
I’m sure it’s a decent gun in that caliber and all.  

But you really need the Cross chambered in .277 Fury.  

The .277 IS NOT just some new fad; it’s not just another new caliber.  

This is the Fury’s proprietary case:

The case head is a ultra strong steel (the rest is brass).

It’s steel case head is required because the Fury is designed for 80,000 PSI operating chamber pressure.  Most centerfire chamberings top out at 55,000 to 60,000 psi.

.Mil might adopt the Fury (the debate is on).  Sig designed it for .mil and Sig bet a ton of $$$ it will be adopted.

If that happens, the Fury is not going away anytime soon.

View Quote

No, what you need to get it chambered in is whatever awesome wildcat cartridge they make when they neck down .277 fury to some sort of 6.27mm wunderkin round.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DeathMetalMedic:

No, what you need to get it chambered in is whatever awesome wildcat cartridge they make when they neck down .277 fury to some sort of 6.27mm wunderkin round.
View Quote

With the right dies and powders a 6.5 Fury is as simple as running the 277 brass through a 6.5 Fury sizing die. I doubt you'd even need to turn the necks.

It's all for nothing without a good starting point for powder though. Are they running "normal" powders to 80k or are they using a special powder?

Give it 2 months after brass and 277 Fury load data is out and someone will have done it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Poop3rscoop3r:

With the right dies and powders a 6.5 Fury is as simple as running the 277 brass through a 6.5 Fury sizing die. I doubt you'd even need to turn the necks.

It's all for nothing without a good starting point for powder though. Are they running "normal" powders to 80k or are they using a special powder?

Give it 2 months after brass and 277 Fury load data is out and someone will have done it.
View All Quotes

"Special powder?"

Anyway, two things stand out to me

One is the short barrel lengths. Perhaps this was an effort to minimize weight, but I ain't buying a 6.5CM bolt gun with 16 or 18 inch barrel.

Second is I'm wondering if they're going to add a long action option at some point.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#47]

"Special powder?"

One is the short barrel lengths. Perhaps this was an effort to minimize weight, but I ain't buying a 6.5CM bolt gun with 16 or 18 inch barrel.

Second is I'm wondering if they're going to add a long action option at some point.
View Quote

I have a rifle out right now getting a 16 inch 6.5 creedmoor proof barrel. Shorties are awesome.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#48]

"Special powder?"

View Quote

Short barrel length makes sense if they're marketing to the back country hunter crowd, you don't need a 24" barrel to shoot a muley at 400 yards. you need a 24" barrel to smoke a 10" steel gong at 1000.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

Short barrel length makes sense if they're marketing to the back country hunter crowd, you don't need a 24" barrel to shoot a muley at 400 yards. you need a 24" barrel to smoke a 10" steel gong at 1000.
View Quote

Why do you need a 24 to only shoot to 1k?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#50]

"Special powder?"

View All Quotes

"Special powder?"

Fuck if I know on the powder. I do know they're pushing more pressure than we possibly can currently, and they could have formulated a new powder to do that. Or they could be using H4350. I have no fucking idea. Just throwing the idea out there.

Some people like a 16" barrel. I think they'd have more luck selling it in a 16" and 24" configuration, but they're marketing it as a light, compact rifle. I'd like to try a 16" with a suppressor. I might finally hunt with mine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
SIG Cross release date? (Page 1 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top