Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2018 4:06:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: niggo]
Hi all. I have the unique opportunity to buy a Sig 716 G2 DMR locally in 6.5 creedmore. I'd have to sell my Remington 700 in 308, so my questions are, do I go for the 6.5 CM, or go to a different gun store and pick up the same rifle in .308? Only plus I can think of with the. 308, is I have glass with .308 BDC reticle already. But if 6.5 is a superior round, then that would influence my decision. Other pluses on 6.5 are better trigger, matching accessories,  better stock. I'd be doing very very light hunting with it, mostly target shooting. I'd like to know some thoughts. Should I stay away from a Sig to begin with?? Need help either pulling the trigger on the purchase, or feeling better about walking away from it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By niggo:
Hi all. I have the unique opportunity to buy a Sig 716 G2 DMR locally in 6.5 creedmore. I'd have to sell my Remington 700 in 308, so my questions are, do I go for the 6.5 CM, or go to a different gun store and pick up the same rifle in .308? Only plus I can think of with the. 308, is I have glass with .308 BDC reticle already. But if 6.5 is a superior round, then that would influence my decision. Other pluses on 6.5 are better trigger, matching accessories,  better stock. I'd be doing very very light hunting with it, mostly target shooting. I'd like to know some thoughts. Should I stay away from a Sig to begin with?? Need help either pulling the trigger on the purchase, or feeling better about walking away from it.
View Quote
It is.

Unless you have a fairly large stock of 308 their is no reason not to go 6.5. it would be like buying a Mustand GT and opting for the ecoboost over the 5.0 for the same money.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the insight
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#3]
If I were 25 and owned a 308, I would jump on the 6.5 train.  I am way past that and give the number of days I now shoot, and the amount of 308 I already own I might as well stick with 308.    If you only shoot 4 or 5 times a year and 500 or 600 yards in might as well stick with 308,  longer ranges 6.5.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]
UNLESS the Sig G2 is a whole new rifle compared to their original, I wouldn't take one for free.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you give me some insight? From what I've read it's more along the lines of a new rifle vs a gen revision.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By niggo:
Can you give me some insight? From what I've read it's more along the lines of a new rifle vs a gen revision.
View Quote
Some proprietary small parts, proprietary upper and lower design, ONLY ran on gen 2 Pmags, all other mags had fail to feeds or fail to chamber, ridiculously heavy, VIOLENT recoil impulse despite the weight, 2moa groups average.

Sig 716 rifle is like a decent looking girl in the trailer park - could be hot but she’s not.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
6.5 Creedmoor is definitely what you want over 308. When I shot my 308 barrel out I switched to 6.5 Creedmoor and never looked back. Night and day difference at distance.

I have several sig products and while they are good rifles I've had difficulty getting spare parts that are proprietary to Sig. not gonna talk you out of the Sig, just my experience.

But I would say take a look at the Savage MSR 10 Long range. Last I looked it was around a grand cheaper and has similar features.
I have one and it's proven to be a very accurate rifle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Separate your needs from your wants and then analyze.

Are you often shooting at ranges where you can utilize the advantages of the 6.5? If not I would stick with .308. I shot my 716 G2 patrol for the first time over Christmas and was very impressed with the accuracy. Groups were averaging sub moa using 168grn Sig elite performance ammunition with the best group right around half moa. Very impressed with the rifle. Definitely going to change the trigger and look at a different muzzle device though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Op...some other considerations...

Barrel life. 7.62 can get past 10,000 rounds and just be getting broken in. 6.5 will give you about 2500 before it will start to go away. How much do you shoot?

Is this rifle for use if the lights go out? 7.62 will be a lot easier to find.

I have more 6.5s than I can carry right now...but you should always have a 308 handy.

Other than less recoil, there isn’t much diffeeence between them until you get to 400 yards. Some would argue 600, but wind will enter that discussion.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top