Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2020 12:02:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wlderdude]
So a couple years ago I picked up 1k pulls of Federal 62 gr SP's that I have been lead to believe are Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets.  Only about 200 have the "T" marked on the bottom, but sectioning a couple of the other 800 show them to have the same profile inside and out.

I made a load ladder and tried them in 2 of my rifles.  These are not tack driving projectiles and the best group was about 2" at 100 yds.  

My thinking is to load these up with a charge that would be safe for all 556 chambers.  Something I could hand a mag of to someone and know it will be safe.  As a close in, barrier blind load, something fast would be ideal.  

In my brass stash I have a big bag of mixed headstamp 556 brass, presumably once fired but much of it is range brass.  I also have about 1k nickel plated 223 Federal and Speer brass, once fired.  I'm liking the idea of the nickel plated for one-time reloading and long term storage.  

Would sealant be worth considering?

Anyone have a powder or load they could recommend?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 2:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Just for the sake of argument... what exactly do you see as being the difference between say, a load of 55 FMJs over 25.0 gn H335 in mixed LC brass... and whatever brand/make of bulk-loaded SHTF/hoser 55 FMJ ammo that you (normally) can buy by the case?  

There are some loads that should 'just work' in a default setup.  They may not be terribly accurate - FMJ is going to run between 2-4+ moa in my experience, so accuracy isn't really a concern... and if someone has a non-standard gas system, buffer setup, etc. etc. that's not on the ammo manufacturer - or the reloader.  

In an ideal world, yeah, every load would be painstakingly matched to an individual gun, use only the best quality components, keep track of not only brands, but lot #s, etc.  That's not the kind of load he's looking for - and in that, I agree with the notion that he's probably better off asking in the 'Armory' Reloading forum than here in the 'Precision Rifle' Reloading forum.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:43:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wlderdude] [#3]
Yeah, I've been lurking here for years, but just recently had this question come up to which no satisfactory answer can be found in existing threads.  There are a LOT of sub forums here.

Can  moderator move the thread or should I go create another one in the other forum?

I understand the standard paradigm is to develop a load specific for a rifle, and I've done plenty of that the 3 or so years I've been reloading.  I initially planned to follow the load development paradigm with these bullets, but their accuracy is poor and I would waste a ton of them developing loads for rifles I might not even own anymore if the time came where I needed a barrier blind load.  

Perhaps I should have expected a dad lecture if I proposed anything that deviates from that paradigm and be told "You're gunna die!"  It is true that sharing your loads between rifles for which that development has not been done is unsafe.  Anyone out there listening, don't do that.  

The first round of any new reloading combination you should put through any rifle are published as starting loads.  They are supposed to be a safe place from which to work up to get more accuracy and velocity.  
My intention is to find a starting load that should be safe for any properly made 556 chamber, load some up, and put them away.  They won't be as fast as a properly developed load, but that's okay.  Is there a powder whose starting load would give above a decent amount of FPS's that could be recommended?

If there is something I'm missing, I would welcome some advice.  
Has anyone out there taken a similar approach in the past, and what was your experience?

The TBBC is kind of half copper and half lead.  Are there any pitfalls to look for with that?  

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:58:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:01:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGH456E] [#5]
OP:
So a couple of things:
-Whats wrong with the load you currently have?  I mean you said you worked up and except for the poor accuracy of the bullet,
what was wrong with the load that you cant use that?  
-You changed your criteria for this thread..... at first you talked about trading your reloads amongst some other shooter but then you
talk about other rifles you might get.  I don't shoot other persons reloads- call that "dad lecture" or whatever, but it's sound.  As far as another rifle-
test it when you get the other one, its that simple.
-I prefer to use the same brass for my reloads, so if you have enough- use them.
-I don't seal reloads and don't know why it would benefit you.
-What load did you already use that was unacceptable so we don't repeat the advice on load data...……?

What I do with reloading for multiple rifles is this:  
I decide what my accuracy expectations are ie. Am I loading up competition rounds for LR?
I then load them up with my usual careful process.
I have some Match chambers (which are the most finicky) in my barrels and so if they will fit in them, I'm golden.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Well OP, seeing how every manufacturer of new ammo manages too make ammo that will shoot in any standard rifle, no reason you can't if you do due diligence...It would start with sizing your cases to the SAAMI minimum size standard for the cartridge drawing, followed up by working up the load components(bullet/powder/primer) that match a similar factory load in COAL/powder charge/velocity/accuracy....And doing lots of testing with different rifles until you find a load that meets those specifications...
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 8:31:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#7]
Agree with AKSnowRider. Size your brass to work in your tightest chamber then do load work up from there. FWIW I load bulk stuff that any 5.56 rifle can digest and then smaller carefully prepared runs of stuff for long range. I still do a work up to find an accurate and safe load for the bulk stuff but don't get too crazy - test across everything in that caliber and if it acceptable then load away. The bulk stuff averages 1 to 1.5 MOA depending on the rifle with basic 55gr soft points and a light crimp, essentially what you are looking for but without sealant which I see no need for. As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I have and do make a load safe for any gun. I did a LOT of testing. I think it was 14 different guns, in the heat of summer, and ran them all.

I FL size, trim, load well below mag length, use arsenal primers, and test with the heaviest brass in the mix.

It's really not rocket science. Don't go pushing max, don't neck size or shoulder bump, and account for the lowest common denominator.

Should you shoot them in your gun anyway? Probably not... standard "don't shoot anyone's reloads" disclaimer. Will it be fine? I bet.

We've all shot hotter and lower quality ammo than I produce, largely without issue. Remember Independence m193? Who's shot Frontier? I'm pretty sure the only reason Wolf doesn't blow up guns is because it's loaded so light. Freedom munitions?

At least I know that the worst possible charge I throw is still light enough to be safe in the heaviest brass shot in the smallest chamber on the hottest days.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wlderdude:
The TBBC is kind of half copper and half lead.  Are there any pitfalls to look for with that?  

View Quote

The TBBC bullets are not 1/2 copper 1/2 lead. They are simply a bonded bullet. They perform well, but they are the rifle equivalent to a gold dot pistol bullet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm hoping no one gave you a load b/c they were waiting to hear what general barrel length you'd be using. Otherwise thats ALOT of talk with no powder suggestions and no load ladder to get you going. Did you mention what powders you have on hand? If I recall correctly TBBC weren't all that accurate. Out of a 16" barrel I'd probably do some N140 or Tac. Somewhere between 24.1 - 26.7. I will expect a couple rounds as the only member that answered your question. Kill 2 birds with one stone.
:-)
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By forensicgun:
The TBBC bullets . . . are simply a bonded bullet. They perform well, but they are the rifle equivalent to a gold dot pistol bullet.
View Quote

False.  The 62 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw is a bonded solid base bullet.  The solid copper base section comprises approximately one-third of the length of the bullet and the jacket section leading to the ogive is significantly thicker than that of a 62 grain/64 grain Gold Dot.

TBBC . . .

Gold Dot . . .

The 62 grain TBBC should not be loaded using the same load-data as that of 62 grain FMJ/BTHP bullets.  Due to its construction, the TBBC can produce pressures that spike more rapidly and at lower powder charges.

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:30:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#12]
I have rounds that still work fine after a trip though the washer and dryer, so you are probably overthinking it with the sealant.

I use Ramshot TAC.  There are .223 and 5.56 loadings for both in the data book for 55 and 62 grain projectiles.  You could pick just about any load you want.

I use 25.4grains for 55 and 62 grain FMJ and mixed cases.  I full length size and trim my cases every time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top