Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2018 11:05:50 AM EDT
I have Timney triggers in the .308 and 5.56 versions of the Ruger Precision Rifle in my safe.  I like them, so when I got the Ruger Precision Rimfire .22LR version I figured I'd put a Timney in it too.  The RPRimfire was said to have the same Precision Trigger that the larger rifles do.  It does, but it sort of doesn't.  The RPRimfire uses the same Precision Trigger module that the larger RPRifles use, except that there is some additional machining to the module to make it fit the smaller chassis of the Rimfire.  The overall dimensions are the same, and all that's required is some material removal from the Timney.  No mods to the rifle are necessary, it's 100% reversible.  I completed this yesterday and it works just fine.  Took about 2 hours with a Dremel and needle files, requiring several assembly/disassembly cycles for tweaking.  It won't take you as long, I hope.  As with the install of the Timney in the larger RPRs, the location of the trigger makes a difference in the operation of the safety.  Be prepared to tweak the trigger into position for easy movement of the safety.  Too far forward or aft and the safety will be hard to move.

Steve

Link Posted: 3/13/2018 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool but I can't see your picture.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VTDefender:
Cool but I can't see your picture.
View Quote
---
Fixt?
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Still no picture for me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By VTDefender:
Still no picture for me.
View Quote
-----
*sigh*

One last time and then I'm trying a forum that lets you upload photos.  Try this:

Link Posted: 3/13/2018 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Or this
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-bolt-action/336841-timney-trigger-mod-install-ruger-precision-rimfire.html
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#6]
That worked.

Nice mod!
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Update 1 (less important): The modded RPR trigger has over 1200 rds on it now with zero problems.  It works great, and it's still an item of interest to others at the range.

Update 2 (more important): Timney is in Beta testing for their RPRimfire trigger.  I know this because, back when I originally posted this thread, I also sent Timney Triggers the photos of the mods I made of the RPR Timney trigger into a fit for the RPRimfire and its install into my RPRimfire and they responded with interest and an indication that they were in late design/early testing of their own design.  Then, the other day, I got an email from them asking if I'd like to be a Beta tester for their RPRimfire trigger design (HELLS YEAH!), and so they sent me one to try out.  I will post some pics of the install and my impressions of it once I've provided them to Timney, since they were kind enough to provide me this opportunity.

As good as the factory RPR triggers are, I think the Timneys are a worthwhile install for the improvement in trigger response and reduced pull.  I really like my modded Timney RPR trigger in the RPRimfire, and I expect the Beta test 'real deal' to be as good or better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
tag for beta testing info
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Was your Ruger trigger pack a bugger to get out? Mine looks like it isn’t going to come out with out some mods to get it out
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
@trashcan101 any update?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Anxiously awaiting the test results. I have only had the opportunity to fire about 10 rounds thru mine and the trigger feels ok.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have nothing bad to say about Timney triggers. However...  the stock RPR trigger is really good. Especially when you remove the triggger return spring, mine breaks cleanly at just under a pound.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I did the removal of the return spring in mine. Trigger is good but sometimes does not reset.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
I did the removal of the return spring in mine. Trigger is good but sometimes does not reset.
View Quote
Replace the return spring with a clicky pen spring. My trigger breaks consistently at 1.5lb with no reset issues.

With the stock return spring, I couldn't get below 3lb...
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know if the Ruger American Target has the same trigger pack or not, but I believe the action is mostly the same other than a pressed vs threaded receiver for barrel fit (I think) but the pen spring mod in my trigger put it dead on 2lbs, and still resets nicely. I also tweaked the drop safety lever back slightly so it's not so noticeable when you're squeezing the trigger.

Good job on the Timney install!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top