Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2018 8:41:21 AM EDT
Has anyone experienced extraction problems with the Ruger Precision Rimfire? I purchased 2 of these rifles and neither one will extract a shell. Tried different ammo and still the same result?

I just do not understand how two of these rifles have the exact problem.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine extracts fine.  It's a known issue that ejection is iffy and you need to work the bolt quickly to get it to kick out the empties.  Mine will still occasionally fail to eject, but it's getting better with use and practice.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I seem to have found the problem. One rifle did not have a cartridge positioner spring or an extractor in the bolt. I searched the entire box and nothing. The second rifle had a Burr at the throat preventing extraction. I polished everything
with a Dremel and 1200 grit sandpaper and all is good with that rifle.

These rifles are much rougher on the bolt and bolt channel then any other rifles I have gotten from Ruger. My American Target and 6.5CR RPR are smooth as silk.

Looks as though they were rushed out the door.

I contacted Ruger and the extractor and Spring will be here on Monday.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TactEng:
I seem to have found the problem. One rifle did not have a cartridge positioner spring or an extractor in the bolt. I searched the entire box and nothing. The second rifle had a Burr at the throat preventing extraction. I polished everything
with a Dremel and 1200 grit sandpaper and all is good with that rifle.

These rifles are much rougher on the bolt and bolt channel then any other rifles I have gotten from Ruger. My American Target and 6.5CR RPR are smooth as silk.

Looks as though they were rushed out the door.

I contacted Ruger and the extractor and Spring will be here on Monday.
View Quote
Mine had a burr in the back of the receiver that was leaving a scratch on the bolt.  Missing parts is pretty bad.  It seems that none of the big firearms manufacturers have any kind of QC these days.  Ruger needs to pay closer attention to the quality that's going out the door or they will find themselves in the same boat with S&W and Remington.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, mine will not extract any run of the mill .22LR, but it seems to extract CCI minmags pretty well most of the time.  I can't work out why it whould work with CCI minimags and not with CCI standard LR.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for that - I will have to think about the same for mine.  As you say, the machining on the bolt is very, very rough.  Not something I would have expected in a Ruger product, especially as it shoots so damned well when it works. :)
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to You Tube, Elfster's Rifles and Reloading and he has several things you can do to improve the RPRR.
Hope this helps you, it helped me a lot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top