BCM
User Panel

Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 89 of 90)
Page / 90
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:24:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Wow, thats fucked up to see that in a barrel. Was hoping to get a RPR in 308 but know I am reconsidering.
View Quote

Just because you see one bad barrel yet several people post great groups from several other RPR's changes your mind? Ruger made it right is my understanding. So that's actually a plus. Just a bummer that it was down for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My savage 308, which looks like rumble strips on a highway in the barrel, isn’t anywhere near that nasty barrel. I had a RPR 338 that was pretty much smooth, and thought Ruger was doing a good job on quality control. Reason why I considered getting a RPR in 308. Even though Ruger made it right, should have never left their shop. These rifles are not cheap. I’ll pass and look at tikka in the future.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Just because you see one bad barrel yet several people post great groups from several other RPR's changes your mind? Ruger made it right is my understanding. So that's actually a plus. Just a bummer that it was down for awhile.
View Quote

It was only ONE barrel out of hundreds of thousands.  No one else in this thread had that problem.

And look at the amazing  results this RPR turned in:

LOW-BUDGET RPR Accurizing: Amazing Results (6.5 Creedmoor)
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#4]
My RPR is a 6mm Creedmoor.

I have a ton of 108 Hornady ELD Bullets, and some H4350.

In my RPR, how much H4350 do I need for approximately 2900 fps with this bullet?  (cases are all 1x fired Hornady).

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

In my RPR, how much H4350 do I need for approximately 2900 fps with this bullet?  (cases are all 1x fired Hornady).

View Quote
Based on Hodgdon's online reloading data Here you'd probably be somewhere between 39.5 and 40.5 grains of H4350 to get 2900fps.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:27:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#6]
Originally Posted By Market_Garden:
Based on Hodgdon's online reloading data Here you'd probably be somewhere between 39.5 and 40.5 grains of H4350 to get 2900fps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Market_Garden:
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Thanks Market!  

Can anyone confirm with their own chrono results from an RPR?  

Reason: sometimes the reloading companies use pressure barrels instead of real guns.  Also, I do not know what barrel length Hornady’s data comes from.

NVM:  I found the RPR-specific data here:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precision-Rifles/6mm-Creedmoor-Load/10-8726/
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone  know what spring  he installed to change his pull,as in brand,or the dimensions or other source, thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:39:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EzGoingKev] [#8]
Originally Posted By mayorbilk:
Anyone  know what spring  he installed to change his pull,as in brand,or the dimensions or other source, thanks
View Quote

If you are talking about the stock trigger then it is the adjustment spring.

Some people just remove them. I clipped a few coils off down and re-installed it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't know if it was a weaker compression spring or as you did and just trimmed it, did you do a trigger pull test for weight if pull change?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Took my 300 PRC RPR out to 1500 yds yesterday! Had no problem keeping the 230 atips on a full size ipsc target. Turn the sound up to hear the impacts.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I just wanted to check on something. Back when Ruger came out with the .223/5.56 RPR I bought one and have not had a single problem with the rifle. I hand load and like the 75gr Hornady ELD bullets and for me shoots really accurate. I'm old and disabled and the size of the round was perfect since it was a pleasure to shoot a rifle that didn't make it difficult to get back home. Did Ruger drop the .223/5.56 model because it was not one of the hot long range rounds?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AR-fan:
I just wanted to check on something. Back when Ruger came out with the .223/5.56 RPR I bought one and have not had a single problem with the rifle. I hand load and like the 75gr Hornady ELD bullets and for me shoots really accurate. I'm old and disabled and the size of the round was perfect since it was a pleasure to shoot a rifle that didn't make it difficult to get back home. Did Ruger drop the .223/5.56 model because it was not one of the hot long range rounds?
View Quote

As a fellow RPR .223 owner I can’t answer your question. I have taken mine out to a 1000 yards with the 80gr load. And other than my RAP in the Oryx chassis it’s my favorite rifle to shoot. I know Ruger had some firing pin issues with piercing primers. I kinda wonder if that was the reasoning? I would love to take mine to a prairie dog town. I honestly believe my .223 RPR is a little more accurate than my 6.5 RPR.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:52:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-fan] [#13]

As a fellow RPR .223 owner I can’t answer your question. I have taken mine out to a 1000 yards with the 80gr load. And other than my RAP in the Oryx chassis it’s my favorite rifle to shoot. I know Ruger had some firing pin issues with piercing primers. I kinda wonder if that was the reasoning? I would love to take mine to a prairie dog town. I honestly believe my .223 RPR is a little more accurate than my 6.5 RPR.
View Quote

Wish I could do the 1000 yard thing but have a hard time with getting a target out to 100 yards and walking back. The 200 and 300 yard ranges have electronic targets so no walking. If you don't mind telling -- what load do you use for the 80gr load. I could probably look it up but just wanted the info from a person that actually used it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AR-fan:

Wish I could do the 1000 yard thing but have a hard time with getting a target out to 100 yards and walking back. The 200 and 300 yard ranges have electronic targets so no walking. If you don't mind telling -- what load do you use for the 80gr load. I could probably look it up but just wanted the info from a person that actually used it.
View Quote

80gr ELDM with a Federal gold medal match ar primer and Varget for the powder and Lapua cases. I don’t recall the powder charge weight but it was well below maximum with the Lapua cases. But they have less case capacity than Hornady which was closer to Max charge weight.

We shoot steel and use the buggy to repaint our targets.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]

80gr ELDM with a Federal gold medal match ar primer and Varget for the powder and Lapua cases. I don’t recall the powder charge weight but it was well below maximum with the Lapua cases. But they have less case capacity than Hornady which was closer to Max charge weight.

View Quote

Thanks for the info. If and when I get better some I want to try the longer ranges at that shooting range.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:28:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: triple6] [#17]
circling back here after having a gen 1 in my safe for years.

I bought, and added a PRS stock, seekins flat rail. darn thing weighs like 13-14lbs
sat in the safe forever but now I think I want to put it on a diet.

whats the lightest rail? will any ar rail fit without issue? guess I could live with a gap but like how the seekins is flush.
also going to dump the prs stock and go with something lighter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Market_Garden] [#18]
Originally Posted By triple6:

I bought, and added a PRS stock, seekins flat rail. darn thing weighs like 13-14lbs

whats the lightest rail? will any ar rail fit without issue? guess I could live with a gap but like how the seekins is flush.
View Quote
Assuming you're looking for a long handguard check out the Midwest Industries Ultra Lightweight. It's not cheap and you will have the gap where the RPR's barrel nut sits, and you'd have to cut the anti-rotation tabs off the handguard use it on the RPR, but it's just under 9 ounces for the 15" rail (including the barrel nut and mounting hardware) and that'll take about 5 ounces off compared to the Gen 2 handguard (I don't know what the Gen 1 rifle's handguard weighs.) If you can manage a good head position with a simpler AR stock you can take 1-1.5 pounds off compared to the PRS stock setup. You can drop another half ounce by ditching the endplate that the castle nut tightens against, it doesn't really do anything on the RPR. You might be close to a 2 pound reduction with the above stuff depending on what you use.

Getting into minimal gains, you can swap the grip out for something like an MOE-K. I don't recall the weight of the factory grip, it's really not that heavy, but if you're really trying to shave ounces it'll help a little. If you have access to a mill you can take a bit of weight out of the bottom of the scope base, it's a solid piece of aluminum. You won't get a ton of weight out there, but it's a little and if you already have a mill it's free. If you don't mind spending more money there's a bit of weight that can be taken out of the barrel, you can have a smith turn it to a lighter profile, and if you don't need the length you can always have it chopped shorter.

Outside of all that stuff there's not much more weight you can reasonably take out of the rifle. Don't get sucked in with Ti bolt shrouds or bolt knobs or any of that shit, it's usually heavier than the stock aluminum stuff. In the end, the RPR was never really meant to be a light rifle like the Fix or the Cross, it was intended for PRS-type shooting where people are often bolting extra weight onto their rifles rather than looking to shed weight. If you're trying to turn it into a Cross for hunting you're going to spend a lot of money and effort and you'll never match the weight of the Cross.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By triple6:

View Quote

Yep I have a Gen 1 as well that's done nothing but sit in the safe without a stock or optic.  Thinking about adding a PRS Gen 3 and moving a PST Gen II onto it when that gets replaced by a Razor on my 700
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#20]
thanks,
figure maybe a new rail and stock
and go from there
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I’d have to think it’s supply/demand of how much people want 6.5 and 6 Creeds, and the lower popularity of .243 and .223 in their earlier offerings. Which is a shame because the .223 is such a great rifle. I wish the throat were longer but I can still load 80’s and even tried out 90 gr SMKs for kicks. They shoot great FYI.

It’s probably my most fun center fire rifle, especially suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns:

I’d have to think it’s supply/demand of how much people want 6.5 and 6 Creeds, and the lower popularity of .243 and .223 in their earlier offerings. Which is a shame because the .223 is such a great rifle. I wish the throat were longer but I can still load 80’s and even tried out 90 gr SMKs for kicks. They shoot great FYI.

View All Quotes

I sold my 6.5C last year.  The guy I sold it to still laughs at me.  

I won't be selling my .223.  As long as I'm on my game, this is routine.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#23]
So I bought the PVA barrel nut to play around with hand guards

Old one threads off fine but the PVA will not thread on. Probably not even getting it on a full turn. It’ll start on the threads but doesn’t go far

Got an email in but what gives? Did the thread pitch change from gen 1 to now?

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#24]
So turns out the patriot valley barrel nut only fits patriot valley barrels

So I guess I’m going to buy a barrel now
And sell the Ruger barrel.

what is the contour that most closely matches the factory?

Haven’t really found any good pictures showing the different profiles and I’d like to just match the factory profile if I’m buying a fancy barrel
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:15:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ensaine] [#25]
I've gone through the last 10 or so pages and also did some research and it seems like that the PRS gen 3 (AR15 model) allows for use of both Carbine and Rifle length tubes. My question specifically relating to RPR (.308) installation is in regards to the type of tube needed; i.e. Can it be just plain tube or does it require the adjustable stock type of tube? I THINK it can do either, as one video I watched showed the person installing it using the plain tube, but I wasn't sure which gen PRS they were installing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mi650:

https://i.imgur.com/CTbzw35.jpg
View Quote

Do that at 500 yards and i will be impressed!
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Fine work! I’ve gotten similar results too. Part of me wants to shoot out my barrel and throw on a 30” long throat Bartlein for improved velocity and expanded seating depths. There aren’t tons of companies making barrels for the .223 bolt face without putting in a custom order.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Took my very first elk at 711 yards with my RPR in 6.5cm out in CO his past week. I was shooting the 127g Barnes LRX rounds. I was up on a ridge line shooting down into a opening in the timber. She was standing broadside and I placed the crosshairs just off to the side of the front shoulder. The bullet actually hit a few inches higher, going thru the blackstrap area and severing the spine. The round dropped her in her tracks without taking a step. She fell awkwardly on fallen logs. While she was practically dead, she was still moving her head around so I chambered another round and put a final round thru her neck to finish her off.

The rifle

Shooting lane ( the opening area in the timber)

The elk
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Good shooting,lots of meat there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:17:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#31]
Originally Posted By Shooter_556:

Took my very first elk at 711 yards with my RPR in 6.5cm out in CO his past week. I was shooting the 127g Barnes LRX rounds. I was up on a ridge line shooting down into a opening in the timber. She was standing broadside and I placed the crosshairs just off to the side of the front shoulder. The bullet actually hit a few inches higher, going thru the blackstrap area and severing the spine. The round dropped her in her tracks without taking a step. She fell awkwardly on fallen logs. While she was practically dead, she was still moving her head around so I chambered another round and put a final round thru her neck to finish her off.

The rifle
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51615317325_8ee018443e_k.jpg

Shooting lane ( the opening area in the timber)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51615137879_dbc900540a_k.jpg

The elk
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51615308010_254dc71ed3_b.jpg
View Quote

My hat is off to you for carrying a heavy rifle on an elk hunt. Nice shooting I hope you had help packing her out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#32]

My hat is off to you for carrying a heavy rifle on an elk hunt. Nice shooting I hope you had help packing her out.
View Quote

Thanks! I love this rifle but def building a lighter weight one for next year. But i had 3 other guys to help me pack her out. It was still a strugglefest based on where I downed her.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice shooting. Been on the hunt for a RPR Gen III in 308 for almost a year with no luck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#34]
So I have an RPR I rebarreled with a custom made Criterion .260 Remington barrel.  My longest session is 1440 yds so far.  The rifle is more capable than I!

Here’s my 3 round group at that range (1440 yds).
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Thats impressive. Been looking at 300 PRC but components for reloading suck. Was told if I wanted a good long range rifle, coming from a 338 LM. go 270 AI. Will have to look at 260. What grain bullet did you use?
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 10:53:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savagemann] [#36]
Attachment Attached File

Picked up my RPR 6.5CM today and got the scope mounted up.
Trying out the Arken SH4 4-16x gen 2 and accompanying mount.
Took a bit to set lop and cheek rest.
Took even longer to set the scope up and level the reticle.
I was aiming for a balance between bench and prone positions while doing so.
Got a handful of rounds loaded up to get it zeroed on Sunday and fireform some of my lapua brass.
Loaded up a few hornady cases so I can fireforn and use those for checking length to lands. Will probably make a modified case as well.
The trigger is way lighter than I expected it to be. I don't have a pull gauge, but it feels way under 2lbs.
Did the Davidsons edition come with a different trigger?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 7:38:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: huudoo] [#37]
thats a nice ruger ,, but i would go with a sig-sauer Cross
CROSS-308-16B-FLC
308 Win
16 in (406 mm)
(1) 5rd Polymer Mag
AICS
Bolt
SIG Precision Stock
Stainless Steel
2-Stage Match
1:10
Alloy
Polymer
First Lite Cipher ARMAKOTE
36.5 in (927 mm)
2.9 in (74 mm)
8 in (203.2 mm)
5/8 in - 24 tpi
M-LOK
Bolt-Action
6.5 lb (2.94 kg)

on guns.cum their $1,881.99 ......  local $1600
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By huudoo:
CROSS-308-16B-FLC
308 Win
16 in (406 mm)
(1) 5rd Polymer Mag
AICS
Bolt
SIG Precision Stock
Stainless Steel
2-Stage Match
Alloy
Polymer
36.5 in (927 mm)
2.9 in (74 mm)
8 in (203.2 mm)
5/8 in - 24 tpi
M-LOK
Bolt-Action
6.5 lb (2.94 kg)

View Quote

You're posting a sig ad in a literal RPR thread? Hmm
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Saoirse:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saoirse:
Originally Posted By huudoo:
CROSS-308-16B-FLC
308 Win
16 in (406 mm)
(1) 5rd Polymer Mag
AICS
Bolt
SIG Precision Stock
Stainless Steel
2-Stage Match
Alloy
Polymer
36.5 in (927 mm)
2.9 in (74 mm)
8 in (203.2 mm)
5/8 in - 24 tpi
M-LOK
Bolt-Action
6.5 lb (2.94 kg)

It makes you wonder why he flew over sig threads or didn’t start his/her/or neutral gender own thread for this tidbit of information?

I bet PW can’t afford the sig to start PW’s own thread?

Sense this post appears in the RPR thread. Do y’all think the RPR has brought the price point of comparable rifles down? I don’t think so because if they honestly have superior quality and accuracy why should they drop their price point.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Do y’all think the RPR has brought the price point of comparable rifles down? I don’t think so because if they honestly have superior quality and accuracy why should they drop their price point.
View Quote

Look at what was available before the RPR was released. Look at what is available now.

IDK if the RPR caused the price point of existing rifles to drop but a bunch of manufacturers did release new more affordable rifles capable of precision shooting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:

Look at what was available before the RPR was released. Look at what is available now.

IDK if the RPR caused the price point of existing rifles to drop but a bunch of manufacturers did release new more affordable rifles capable of precision shooting.
View Quote

89 pages say's that the RPR did make a splash.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Thats impressive. Been looking at 300 PRC but components for reloading suck. Was told if I wanted a good long range rifle, coming from a 338 LM. go 270 AI. Will have to look at 260. What grain bullet did you use?
View Quote

130gr TMK
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:33:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 545Fan] [#43]
Ballistically, the .260 Rem and 6.5 CM are close to identical.  They shoot the same projos.  The advantage is in reloading.  .260 Rem can be easily made from .308 Win or .243 Win brass.  6.5CM is pretty much stuck with it’s own cases.

Leave it to Big Green to F up the entire launch, support, and marketing though!
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 4:51:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#44]
For those with a 308 RPR, anyone shooting 200 gr bullets? Have a savage that shoots 200 gr great but savage sucks so looking into a gen III RPR. Had a 338 RPR that was the sweetest rifle I have ever owned. Had to sell it due to health reasons.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone tried the Geissele MK18 rail on their gun?  I have a Gen 1 with the original rail and it desperately needs replacing
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

@mi650

I hear it does better
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 3:07:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Hi everyone, I am looking for advice.

I have a .308 rpr gen 2. When I run the bolt it makes a zipper sound, even when I heavily grease the bolt. I looked at the bolt raceway and it appears to be rough machining on the raceway itself. I have seen some topic about covering the bolt with polishing compound but my bolt is well machined, it just the raceway that's rough. Any recommendations such as sand on anything?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By turan8:
Hi everyone, I am looking for advice.

I have a .308 rpr gen 2. When I run the bolt it makes a zipper sound, even when I heavily grease the bolt. I looked at the bolt raceway and it appears to be rough machining on the raceway itself. I have seen some topic about covering the bolt with polishing compound but my bolt is well machined, it just the raceway that's rough. Any recommendations such as sand on anything?

Thanks.
View Quote

It needs an action job. Fine valve grinding compound and finishing with JP bore paste will get it slicked right up. Don’t close it just cycle it back and forth then clean the compound away oil it and see if it has reached the smooth surface you want. If you do the lugs cycling the bolt closed check the head space with a go gauge and no go gauge. I don’t recommend you messing with the cam slot without some experienced supervision. I finished my race way with a block of wood cut to fit with 800 grit wet sand paper and some light oil. Kroll oil works great for this. I run graphite dry lube in our dusty climate.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#49]

It needs an action job. Fine valve grinding compound and finishing with JP bore paste will get it slicked right up. Don’t close it just cycle it back and forth then clean the compound away oil it and see if it has reached the smooth surface you want. If you do the lugs cycling the bolt closed check the head space with a go gauge and no go gauge. I don’t recommend you messing with the cam slot without some experienced supervision. I finished my race way with a block of wood cut to fit with 800 grit wet sand paper and some light oil. Kroll oil works great for this. I run graphite dry lube in our dusty climate.
View Quote

I was thinking about doing this but I don't want to use my bolt because its already smooth; its the receiver that needs to be slicked up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By turan8:

I was thinking about doing this but I don't want to use my bolt because its already smooth; its the receiver that needs to be slicked up.
View Quote

Cut you a small block of wood to fit your race rails and put a wood screw into it so you can attach a piece of coat hanger for a handle. Wrap the block with sandpaper lightly oil it and polish the race rails. I use the valve grinding compound because it mates the bolt to the rails.
Tool from Brownells
There's the tool. If you want to buy it.
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 89 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top