Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2021 12:18:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARvsAK]
I just got my rifle and scope all mounted up today with high scope rings.

Took it out to the range today. Mind you I’ve never shot from
a scope before. It’s always been iron sights or red dots for combat effective hits.

What I shot today

Ruger Precision Rimfire
Athlon Argos Gen2 BTR 6-24x MIL
Monstrum scope rings 1.35”

Ammo: CCI standard velocity
Magazine: Ruger 10rd rotary

First 20-40 shots I had no idea where I was hitting. I ended up having to remove the zero stop that was factory installed on the scope and lower the reticle. Then I went back and installed the zero stop. Rifle is now zerod at 50yrds.

Best 5 round group with CCI standard velocity.

I then tried some federal bulk match target ammo and it was shooting high and a little right from my POA and the groups weren’t as tight as the CCI standard velocity.

The rifle has a bipod and I was using a rear shooting bag for the first time. It took a little getting used to with the rear bag but I found that if I want it stable I had to push the bag into my shoulder so the fill inside wouldn’t shift when the shot was taken. Overall this was a great time. I have Some Winchester and Aguila ammo I want to try out to see if I get a better grouping than the CCI. But for now. I’m impressed. The black sticker is about the size of a quarter and I had 5 rounds all in with a couple stacked on each other.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m in northern VA. I would love to attempt some rimfire matches. Never done it before. I was looking at NRL22 base class for now. I’m still a newb
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Don’t waste your time and money on the federal or any bulk high velocity ammo ( federal auto match I assume you were using is not match quality in any sense, just a marketing gimmick)
CCI standard isn’t a bad starting point. But to really see what the rifle will do you need to try European match grade ammo SK lapua eley rws
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to find out what your rifle likes.  Buy several boxes of 1 each of different ammo and see how each one groups.  I suggest subsonic ammo in Lapua, Eley, SK brands.  Mine shoots dime sized groups with the ammo it likes and silver dollar groups with stuff it doesn't like.  We shoot competition matches from 50 -300 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top