Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2019 7:25:42 AM EDT
Been eyeballin this rifle for a bit. The two reviews I read were positive. Accuracy is good for a factory rifle as is the trigger. Anyone have one?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking at it too.  Part of its appeal for me is that not too many people have it
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
the CHF 5R barrel is VERY tempting.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The 77 has never been a popular target gun either in factory configurations or as a base for a build. They make decent stuff but I figure there has to be a reason they are not used more often. When they are the same price or close as a Tikka that would be a hard call for me. I was listening to Frank from Snipershide and he dismissed them but unfortunately didn't really elaborate.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
If they came with a threaded barrel, I'd already have a Varmint Target.

I'm a sucker for black/grey laminate stocks.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mi650:

View Quote
That’s easy to fix why would  you let that stop you?
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the length of the barrel threaded into the receiver has some more flex compared to some other rifles. That and I think the cast receiver scares some shooters.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Originally Posted By mi650:

I know.

No real reason other than I always find something else that's already threaded.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#8]
They do come threaded 5/8"-24 and have a brake.  I like the longer barrel and the fact that it is not a chassis gun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
He was talking about the Varmint Target
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one but the action bolts wouldn't stay torqued No matter what I did !!
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a Long Range Target in 6.5 cm a few months ago. I'm really impressed with it. Function is flawless, single feeding is easy and the trigger is good. I've only begun to load for it and the accuracy is there already. The action screws did loosen a little at first but not as much lately. Between the muzzle brake and the weight, recoil is light. The 5R rifled barrel on mine is very smooth inside and the "Centralized" chamber Ruger claims seems to be valid. Looking through a Lyman borescope shows a remarkably uniform leade into the rifling. Copper deposits in the barrel are only a thin sheen in the last 1/3 after firing the first 40 rounds with no cleaning. I've found hammer forged barrels generally pretty forgiving and not needing any tedious "break-in". I bought this rifle partly for its look, I've only seen one other at the range. I can sure recommend it to anybody considering one!
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By robert1804:
I bought a Long Range Target in 6.5 cm a few months ago. I'm really impressed with it. Function is flawless, single feeding is easy and the trigger is good. I've only begun to load for it and the accuracy is there already. The action screws did loosen a little at first but not as much lately. Between the muzzle brake and the weight, recoil is light. The 5R rifled barrel on mine is very smooth inside and the "Centralized" chamber Ruger claims seems to be valid. Looking through a Lyman borescope shows a remarkably uniform leade into the rifling. Copper deposits in the barrel are only a thin sheen in the last 1/3 after firing the first 40 rounds with no cleaning. I've found hammer forged barrels generally pretty forgiving and not needing any tedious "break-in". I bought this rifle partly for its look, I've only seen one other at the range. I can sure recommend it to anybody considering one!
View Quote
Thanks for the update Robert1804.  I'm still considering this... in fact want one. Any range reports would be welcome.
Paul
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey all, wondering if anyone has a first hand on these?  My local shop has one for 970, I can probably get it out the door for under a grand...  I'm kicking it around.  Gotta admit, I think it looks really cool, what can I say?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top