Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2018 3:49:19 PM EDT
I recently got my son a Ruger American Compact .22 to teach him to shoot with. He's been having a blast and it's been great spending time at the range with him. I actually didn't have a .22 of my own , so I bought myself the Ruger American Target model to take to the range with him. I put a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12 on it and took it to the range today for the first time. First, a couple of pics of my son just because..

Now here's my rifle..

I zeroed it at 50 yards today and got it dialed in pretty quick. After that, I shot this group of 20 rounds that I was pretty proud of. I was very impressed with the accuracy of the rifle right out of the box with regular CCI ammo from WalMart.

Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish the plastic stocks were about 2" shorter for kids. That's about what your boy needs for a proper Offhand position.

Oh well. It'll be right in a couple years.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought the Ruger American Target like yours. I put a Vortex Crossfire 6-18 on it. I've got a suppressor coming and needed something threaded so I picked this one up. Have you had any problems with ejection on yours? Mine won't eject the majority of the time. It looks like the ejector is sitting away too far to catch the case. There seems to be enough "slop" in the receiver/bolt that if you hold the bolt knob "out" as you're pulling it back, the bolt angles so the ejector sits further into the bolt, then catches the case. Then the case will eject. Like the rifle but, just my luck, it looks like it's going to have to go back to Ruger.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
I wish the plastic stocks were about 2" shorter for kids. That's about what your boy needs for a proper Offhand position.

Oh well. It'll be right in a couple years.
View Quote
Kids rifles should have a super short stock and come with a stack of buttstock spacers like a Ruger GSR, to add as the kid grows.  If they have to, make the barrel 18" to hit the needed OAL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top