Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2018 4:51:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deltagunner00]
Hey Guys,

Anyone put a RAP in one of the new Magpul Ruger stocks?  I have one in 243 I would like to get a different stock for.  If so, what mags did you go with?

Thanks...just starting to look into these new Magpul stocks.

** EDIT 1/9/18 - I ended up buying one of these after posting this topic.  Weren't a lot of videos out there when I was searching so I put one together if anyone cares to watch.  The video is in a post down this page.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:08:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a RAP in 308 in one. I am partial to PMAGS and they have been fine for me. The stock makes the gun noticeably heavier if you care.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I am very interested in this as well. My initial plan was to go with a Weatherby Vanguard. Then I saw a RAP in a magpul stock and was very impressed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JSmitt6:
I have a RAP in 308 in one. I am partial to PMAGS and they have been fine for me. The stock makes the gun noticeably heavier if you care.
View Quote
I was afraid of that.  This is just strictly a coyote rifle.  I wouldn't care as much if it were bench rest but not sure how much more weight I want to add to it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Deltagunner00:
I was afraid of that.  This is just strictly a coyote rifle.  I wouldn't care as much if it were bench rest but not sure how much more weight I want to add to it.
View Quote
Personally, it is too heavy for me to want to walk around/hike with it. Im no hero though, I want to carry as little as possible. Personally, I would keep the oem stock and just shave down the sides so it is a true free float. I am using mine for a "tactical"/benchrest rig and so I didnt care about the weight.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
How much more does it weigh?  How do you like it as a bench rest stock?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LogCabinShooter:
How much more does it weigh?  How do you like it as a bench rest stock?
View Quote
the stock weighs 3.3 lbs... https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-american-stock-ruger-american-short-action
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:05:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By imaguy3:

the stock weighs 3.3 lbs... https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-american-stock-ruger-american-short-action
View Quote
How much does the ruger stock weigh?  I do not have a RAP. Considering buying one.  Thanks if someone is able to help.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LogCabinShooter:

How much does the ruger stock weigh?  I do not have a RAP. Considering buying one.  Thanks if someone is able to help.
View Quote
1.8lbs according to this page... reply 6 ... http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=4269.0
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks good info!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I put my Ruger American Predator in a Magpul stock and couldn't be happier.  As a matter of fact, I did so specifically to be my coyote rig.  People complain about the weight; but, put it in your actual use perspective.  How much walking do you intend to do.  Me, I drive from location to location when coyote hunting.  Walks are usually no further than a mile.  When I hunt the mountains here in Montana, I always carry light weight rifles in either Barrett Fieldcraft, Kimber Montana or Tikka Super Lite and others.  However, until about ten or fifteen years ago, I was carrying your standard sporter weight rifles everywhere I hunted.  At the time, I never knew my rifle was heavy.  Only when exposed to the newer lightweight offerings did I ever then become aware of the fact I was carrying a heavyweight.  It's all a matter of perspective.

To answer one of the questions above, so far I have been able to use both Magpul and MDT Tac magazines.  My only real complaint about the Magpul stock is that, at times, the mag seems to sag ever so slightly at the front interfering with a smooth chambering.  The Magpuls can be found quite frequently used for around $200.  The Magpul stock and Ruger American make for a very cost effective setup.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BigSky1:
I put my Ruger American Predator in a Magpul stock and couldn't be happier.  As a matter of fact, I did so specifically to be my coyote rig.  People complain about the weight; but, put it in your actual use perspective.  How much walking do you intend to do.  Me, I drive from location to location when coyote hunting.  Walks are usually no further than a mile.  When I hunt the mountains here in Montana, I always carry light weight rifles in either Barrett Fieldcraft, Kimber Montana or Tikka Super Lite and others.  However, until about ten or fifteen years ago, I was carrying your standard sporter weight rifles everywhere I hunted.  At the time, I never knew my rifle was heavy.  Only when exposed to the newer lightweight offerings did I ever then become aware of the fact I was carrying a heavyweight.  It's all a matter of perspective.

To answer one of the questions above, so far I have been able to use both Magpul and MDT Tac magazines.  My only real complaint about the Magpul stock is that, at times, the mag seems to sag ever so slightly at the front interfering with a smooth chambering.  The Magpuls can be found quite frequently used for around $200.  The Magpul stock and Ruger American make for a very cost effective setup.
View Quote
I am going to end up getting one probably late next week.

Can you or anyone else let me know if it is possible to mount a direct mounting plate for a ballhead that sits on top of a tripod?  Like a Magpul MLok Tripod Adapter or one from RRS?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes.  It is specifically set up for MLok.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#13]
BigSky1,

What caliber is your Ruger Predator that you are using in the Magpul Hunter American stock?
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#14]
The Magpul stock adds two lbs to the gun... That's a ton. In hindsight, Magpul should have called it the Ruger Bench, instead of the Hunter. A hunter should be lighter in weight. Having said that, I do love the stock. But with a bipod and scope, it's an 11+ lbs gun when loaded. The 3.3 lbs is without the bottom metal, screws, V blocks, and a mag. Toss all of it on, and it's a half pound heavier.

My other gripe, I'd the barrel channel is way too big.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yeah, but you really gotta get your hands on one of those stocks.  They are solid.  You won't be thinking about weight.  I am sure one is in my future.  I fitted the magpul trigger/mag group into a HS Precision stock but if I had handled the Magpul stock prior, I would have just bought it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I dig mine.

Same setup as above with magpul bi-pod on LaRue qd mount.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

I ended up getting a black one and love it.  I am not near as concerned about the weight as I thought I would be.  Still at a budget price but made very solid.  I only had it a week and already put some paint to it.  Super happy with going with the Magpul stock.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is a video I put together of the stock if anyone cares to watch it.  This is before I painted it and just shows how it shoots right after swapping stocks.

Ruger American Build | Magpul Hunter American
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Deltagunner00

Got yourself another subscriber! Really like the videos and paint job.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ryanlilb:
Deltagunner00

Got yourself another subscriber! Really like the videos and paint job.
View Quote
Really appreciate the sub!!  Thanks a bunch for watching and the comment!  Have a good one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:37:04 AM EDT
[#21]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/267434/FullSizeRender_jpg-803701.JPG

I ended up getting a black one and love it.  I am not near as concerned about the weight as I thought I would be.  Still at a budget price but made very solid.  I only had it a week and already put some paint to it.  Super happy with going with the Magpul stock.
View Quote
That paint job is sexy. Did you do it yourself? I NEED to know!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/267434/FullSizeRender_jpg-803701.JPG

NVM. I found it on the post below + on the PM forum. Thanks Delta!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:58:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm a .243 fan, what's the twist rate on the ruger predator?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:04:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
The Magpul stock adds two lbs to the gun... That's a ton. In hindsight, Magpul should have called it the Ruger Bench, instead of the Hunter. A hunter should be lighter in weight. Having said that, I do love the stock. But with a bipod and scope, it's an 11+ lbs gun when loaded. The 3.3 lbs is without the bottom metal, screws, V blocks, and a mag. Toss all of it on, and it's a half pound heavier.

My other gripe, I'd the barrel channel is way too big.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158348/E760A223-7DA3-49A3-9B4C-9EE3974BC002_jpeg-798436.JPG
View Quote
That is one sexy beast !
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By maleante:
I'm a .243 fan, what's the twist rate on the ruger predator?
View Quote
The .243's are 1:9"
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I just ordered one from Brownells in OD. It's hard to pass up when Brownells always has those discount codes
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By WholeBunches:
BigSky1,

What caliber is your Ruger Predator that you are using in the Magpul Hunter American stock?
View Quote
Mine is 6.5 Creedmoor with an SWFA SS 10X scope.  It loves the Hornady 143 ELDX factory fodder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top