Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2020 7:21:18 PM EDT
Looking for a bolt-action hunting rifle and found this: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ruger-american-predator-65-creedmoor-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=4985775
Looks like it comes Vortex Crossfire II scope.
I just had a couple of questions about it: Are Ruger American Predators good rifles? Is the glass good enough? Any other, better rifles/glass for around the same price?
I'm not looking for an ultra precise rifle, just one that is good enough for hunting. My budget is at max $750 for rifle and glass if you have another suggestion.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:45:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: strat81] [#1]
Originally Posted By splyntered_glory:
Looking for a bolt-action hunting rifle and found this: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ruger-american-predator-65-creedmoor-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=4985775
I just had a couple of questions about it: Are Ruger American Predators good rifles? Is the glass good enough? Any other, better rifles/glass for around the same price?
I'm not looking for an ultra precise rifle, just one that is good enough for hunting. My budget is at max $750 for rifle and glass if you have another suggestion.
View Quote

I have a 6.5CM Predator.

For a hunting rifle, the Ruger Predator is a great choice and mine has a shortened barrel.  If you haven't seen one in person, the barrel is heavier than a sporter, but it's not medium or heavy.  A Tikka CTR ore Remington Sendero will have a thicker barrel.

Two things with the Ruger American:
1) The stock kinda sucks. The recoil pad is very good and it's very light. OTOH, you'll need to dremel out the barrel channel to free float the barrel and you'll need some kind of cheek riser because the comb is too low for optics.

2) The rotary mags are very hit & miss. Out of three I've tried, two would not feed correctly. However, the .450 Bushmaster mags are a single column mag and function well with my 6.5CM. You lose 1 round of capacity, but for hunting or bench shooting, I can't see that being a big issue.

They also make a version of the Predator that takes AICS mags.

Groups at 100 yards with Hornady factory ammo:

I'm a scope snob and have a Sig Tango 6 on my Predator.  The Vortex is probably good enough for what you're doing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a suggestion for a replacement stock?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Magpul
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By strat81:

Magpul
View Quote
would you be able to use pmags with that stock? Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty new to bolt-actions.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#5]
would you be able to use pmags with that stock? Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty new to bolt-actions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Magpul
It works with their 7.62 Pmags, yes.

It won't work with 5.56 Pmags because of the large OAL of the 6.5CM cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:28:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VSmith6] [#6]
What strat81 said, the RAP is a great value. I have the rotary mag version in 6.5 CM with a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 on it.

I beefed up the forend with some epoxy and made sure the barrel had clearance, and did a YouTube trigger job, nothing else. With 147gr ELD-M handloads I have shot 1/3 MOA groups at 300 yards.

The rotary mag is crap, if you can get the AICS compatible version go for it. Also the bolt is fairly loose, it tends to come open if you are carrying it on a shoulder sling and drop a round out.

It’s a $430 gun that shoots well, but probably not the best option for a pack in hunt

ETA the stock geometry is lacking, get a kydex riser for it
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Magpul

It works with their 7,62 AICS mags, not to be confused with AR-10/SR-25 mags
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 Americans, .308 and .30-06 and both are great shooters.  I still have the original stocks on them but I want to replace them someday
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 8:58:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#9]
No 6.5 yet............. but I have the .308 Predator and I solved the "shitty" stock problem with the Magpul.  Boyd's makes some fantastic options if you prefer a more traditional wooden stock.  The AICS style magazines are the way to go. The mags are single stack and different from the double stack PMAG for 7.62 so order carefully when you pickup mags.  I made this mistake but fortunately Primary Arms was easy to work with in getting swapped for the correct part #.  When you buy the Magpul Hunter stock it comes with one 5 round mag but I always like to have a few extra for every firearm I own.

I'm sure eventually I'll wind up with a Ruger American in 6.5 at some point.  For what they are out of the box the rifles are a good value and with some upgrades can be turned into fantastic shooters and still not break the bank.

Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Definitely get the AICS version! My teenaged son has harvested hog, mule deer and last weekend,  auodad with his. He was hitting a 10" plate at 400 yds using Hornady 129 gr. Interlocks just before the hunt. He's using the Vortex Viper HS 4x16x44.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:11:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Meatball72] [#11]
View Quote

I also have a 6.5cm predator and I beefed up the stock with rebar and epoxy and now its a nice heavy weight stock with no flex.  the rifle is 3/4 moa all day.  I will agree that the rotary mags are junk.  i was going to send mine off to be refitted with AICS bottom metal but the guy that ran the company and that did the work died. Vortex crossfires are decent scopes but are vortex's bottom end models.

At the time i bought mine they didnt offer the AICS model but about 3 weeks later they released it and if i had to buy again i would get the AICS
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Is the rifle in the link in the OP compatible with AICS? And if not, would putting the Magpul Hunter stock on it make it compatible?
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cone256:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cone256:

Magpul

Correct.  Details matter, so buy the right thing.  Link
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 6.5 American predator that I dropped in to a mag-pul hunter stock and at that time it had the vortex 4x12 optic that come on the rifle . I have since swapped out the optic and added a different scope but for hunting the scope works well enough  it holds zero just fine .
 here is a picture with the rifle when I first dropped it in the stock .
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I had one in 5.56 for a while and sold it.

The stock is awful and back when I had mine, there was no aftermarket available.  The trigger is decent, and I liked the rotary mag.  My mag had a little burr on the follower that I cleaned up and it worked well after that.  The action is smooth but I could not get mine to shoot under 1 MOA, closer to 2, even with my match reloads.

I sold it and bought a Remington 783.  All around a nicer rifle and shoots 3/4" groups with my handloads.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I would bet that that vortex scope is the nicest scope I've seen offered in those package guns. Most are bottom of the barrel tasco or bushnell. Offering a vortex or Nikon was definitely a step up by the manufacturers.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#17]
Even though the Crossfire is Vortex "entry" level class of scope I like them alot.  All of my Ruger Americans have them.  Got the call from my dealer that my recently jailed Resonator R2 came in so I went to check it out today.  Sounds great.  A 6.5 and another can will eventually wind up in my safe almost guaranteed. I'm really digging the Magpul upgraded stock.  Now I kinda wish I had it on my .300 blk one as well.

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
The magpul is probably the way to go but check out Boyds stocks too if you like laminated wood. They make good stuff and I think they offer bottom metal now too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:
Even though the Crossfire is Vortex "entry" level class of scope I like them alot.  All of my Ruger Americans have them.  Got the call from my dealer that my recently jailed Resonator R2 came in so I went to check it out today.  Sounds great.  A 6.5 and another can will eventually wind up in my safe almost guaranteed. I'm really digging the Magpul upgraded stock.  Now I kinda wish I had it on my .300 blk one as well.

https://i.imgur.com/gXMXBa7h.jpg
View Quote
I'm sure it is their entry glass but I took the bushnell off my axis and put it on my son's mossberg and I can only say it is is like looking through a clear piece of wax paper. It's so bad that I bought myself new glass with some  of the current sales so I could free up a better scope to pass down to the kid.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Like anything mass produced especially at a lower tier price point there will be lemons as well as gems.  Vortex offers an excellent warranty so if you get a bum unit they will take care of you.  I've been very lucky all of mine have good clear glass and once sighted in have held their zero quite nicely.  Obviously whenever you can swing a better piece of glass the money spent is well worth it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:02:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#21]
Since OP is asking about hunting with this and not benchrest shooting, I'm going to go against the grain here and say the standard stock is good enough for hunting, where you're often not shooting from an ideal, solid postition/platform (shooting sticks, tree branches, pack, offhand, etc) and you're interested in "minute-of-vitals" not 3" groups at 700 yards, etc.

And it's much lighter weight than Magpul or Boyds offerings.

If you're getting this to carry while hunting on foot, just leave it as is. If you'll be hunting from a blind or tree stand, it won't really matter either way, and if you're looking to re-purpose it as a target rifle, then you definitely want to modify or replace the stock.

ETA: and if I was getting one of these for hunting, I'd grab a Go Wild edition.

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
Since OP is asking about hunting with this and not benchrest shooting, I'm going to go against the grain here and say the standard stock is good enough for hunting, where you're often not shooting from an ideal, solid postition/platform (shooting sticks, tree branches, pack, offhand, etc) and you're interested in "minute-of-vitals" not 3" groups at 700 yards, etc.

And it's much lighter weight than Magpul or Boyds offerings.

If you're getting this to carry while hunting on foot, just leave it as is. If you'll be hunting from a blind or tree stand, it won't really matter either way, and if you're looking to re-purpose it as a target rifle, then you definitely want to modify or replace the stock.

ETA: and if I was getting one of these for hunting, I'd grab a Go Wild edition.

https://www.kinseysoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/1970/01/products-26925__87511.1545866885.1280.1280.jpg
View Quote
Well said, Daggartt.

My son harvested his mulie and auodads on spot and stalk hunts...lightweight stock was much appreciated

Here's his mulie from the Van Horn mountains in west TX from November

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I've bought 2 (but not as a scoped package deal), a 6.5CM and a .223 .... and both are for my wife.

She swapped out the stock on the 6.5CM to the Magpul Hunter everybody above has been mentioning, and she loves it.  Granted all of our deer hunting is from a stand or blind, no stalking.

However, on her .223 she has left the factory stock on it, added a bag style cheek riser and seems to be content with it b/c of how light it is compared to her 6.5CM.  She has noticed that the forearm seems flimsy (just like how she didn't like that on her 6.5CM).  She calls it her Tupperware Gun. LOL

Both rifles shoot really well.  Actually, almost too good!  ...... meaning they shoot almost as good as my +$1000 RPR's of the same caliber.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:48:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#24]
Is the rifle in the link in the OP compatible with AICS? And if not, would putting the Magpul Hunter stock on it make it compatible?
View Quote

They are not compatible in factory configuration but yes the magpul stock will allow use of AICS pattern magazines.
Originally Posted By jeremywills:
I'm really digging the Magpul upgraded stock.  Now I kinda wish I had it on my .300 blk one as well.
View Quote

Make sure and do your research before you do. If they are anything like the 223 versions they don't always play well in the rugers with AICS mags. Think it's the three lugged bolt that's the main cause. It's been discussed several places. Some have luck modding mags and some do not.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Magpul-Hunter-Stock-Issue-Wont-Feed-300AAC-/2-493006/

Magpul Hunter Stock Ruger American 223 Magazine issues with MDT
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:20:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DKlic6] [#25]
You can look at my build thread I did on it.  I really like it but had limited options with left hand bolts in my budget. And yes, it's an ugly ass rifle but it shoots well.

link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top