Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2021 4:35:34 PM EDT
Been wrenching on ARs for a few years, as a hobbyist.  Finally bought my first bolt-action, a Ruger American Ranch 5.56.  Long story short, while trying to install a xeno flash hider, I inadvertently tightened the barrel about 1/8 of a turn into the receiver.  It does still chamber a round but it does take a smidge more effort than I think it should to close the bolt.  

To fix it myself, looks like I'd need an external action-wrench and a set of go/no go gauges.  Littlecrow makes a special wrench for loosening the smooth barrel nut but I have no idea what tool to buy that would allow me to get a torque wrench on that smooth barrel nut.  

Tempted to take it to a local gunsmith but I'm in a small town and not sure if they'd have all the proper tools to do a good job.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for the non specific answer to your question but I've seen there are aftermarket notched Savage style barrel nuts available for the American. Might be a little more expensive but easier to just remove the old barrel nut and torque down a new one that has notches for whatever the barrel wrench is.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Pipe wrench to get the nut off. Then order a new one that has the flats on it and get the right wrench to tighten.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a buddy drop one off with the same issue. Checked and it won’t close on a go gauge. Built a wrench for the barrel nut. Was gonna clamp it in my barrel vise, reset headspace and tighten the nut with the wrench. I’ll weld a socket to it to put my torque wrench on
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top