Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2022 10:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flyn289]
I own several ruger Americans from predator to go wild to hunter. I've had a stiff extractor on one but outside that I've had no issues. A friend of mine bought an American predator in 6mm creedmoor and told me his bolt was hard to close and open on a chambered round. I offered to look at it for him. I made sure the bolt was well lubed as well as the extractor. Also cleaned the chamber/barrel extremely well. The bolt is easier to lock now but the round still gets stuck in the chamber as before and takes more force than normal to open and eject. I tried to get a get photo of the marks its leaving on the projectile. Unfortunately I don't have any go/no go gauges but it seems it's a tight chamber issue or head space?

Also, it does it with both hornady vmax and nobler varmagedon.

free image hosting
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Hand loads?  Those look seated way out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Factory ammunition
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes he has shot it. Approx 80-100 rounds through it. Shoots 1.5 groups
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't have go/nogo gauges pull the bullet and powder to check the chamber with a factory case .
We've sent back two RPR's that had the same issue for customers this makes me wonder if the factory cuts the throat separate from the chambering ? I bought a .040 free bore reamer and throater so if a lighter varmint bullet is used I can cut the throat shorter of adjust for longer ELD bullets.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Just an update for your curiosity. Sent the rifle back to ruger. The technician went it to an engineer on 4/7. As of 4/25 the rifle is back with a technician. Customer service advised that the rifle needed a new barrel. Ruger does not keep spare barrels in stock. Nor do they keep new rifles in stock. To get a new barrel for the rifle I will have to wait until they manufacturer a run of 6mm creedmoor rifles. There was no known time estimation. Pretty disappointing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I can promise you that if that's the case Ruger will replace it with a rifle of your choosing, or issue a refund.

I've always had amazing luck with thier CS.

If you can get it back I would, and you just need a smith to take a good 6mm CM reamer and finish your chamber, you can be up and running in no time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top