Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2020 2:26:38 PM EDT
Got my dream rifle,
Cadex 308, with tangent

Killed and stretched, then pan fried my budget.....

Everyone here in southern ontario is massively into NRL. Matches almost every weekend. Prs not so much

Is it worth it to build up a trainer? Or is that money better spent toward more ammo?

I want to get better at my 308 rifle. Is the 22lr applicable enough? Worth the squeeze?

Thinking of a custom 1022 with viper pst 2 , 3 15
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking a tikka t1x 16 with a viper pst gen 2 , 15 or 25x

so not cheap,,

Im thinking I may be better off just dry firing more and buying more ammo for my 308,

I do have a cz 452 fs with leupold 2 7 duplex,

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]
shoots better than me,

the thought crossed my mind but I would have to remove the iron sights, as it stands now I have qd mounts,
I enjoy shooting the irons on that one too much
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
NRL is a ton of fun. This is my second year shooting it. I have a custom 77/22 I use in open, but truth be told a plain jane 10/22 with a decent scope will have you good enough gear to be competitive at my club and most of the other local clubs. If you wanted to get something a bit more specialized, we have a bunch of guys out here using Ruger RPR in 22LR.  You dont technically need a scope, but I think it would be very tough to be competitive if you ran iron sights. For what its worth, the msrp for your rifle and scope determine what class you shoot in (base or open). So if you like this type of shooting you dont need a custom high dollar rifle to compete and have fun. My base gun cost me about $350 (Ruger 10/22 with a bushnell 10x tactical).
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Same boat OP.

Don't have the time to stretch out my centerfire rifle like I once could.

Wanted to find a bolt gun 22 th at closely mimicked my PRS/LR rifle.  Cheaper practice and there's a local club the shoots out to 800yds with 22lr.

The CZ 457 has a 60° bolt throw and I can adjust the trigger down to 1lb 8oz just like my LR rifle.  So I picked one up in an At One stock.

My next purchase is an MPA chassis since my LR rifle has one.  

Whatever you choose, my advice is to get it as close to your PRS rifle as you can.  It's still fun and great practice for wind calls.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Decided to spend the money on ammo for the 308.

Beware the man with one rifle mentality haha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top