Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Rimfire Scope Question (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2022 1:29:39 PM EDT
To date, I’ve always used Rimfire scopes with my Rimfire rifles, but I was wondering about the disadvantages of using a traditional scope that’s not built for Rimfire?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I think parallax adjustment for short range distances is very important for rimfire
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Truth be told I seldom shoot a rimfire at distances that would require a magnified optic. That said I wouldn’t pay more for a scope that had a BDC for centerfire calibers. If i had a nice scope that wasn’t made for rimfire I’d think nothing of using it. But i also would not buy a vortex razor or a nightforce to put on a 22.
If you’re in the market, primary arms has 2 scopes with a purpose built bdc for rimfire. They seem to be the best value for price. Just my .02c
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what your trying to do.  If you're just plinking and getting hits is all you need then a Rimfire scope, even one with a BDC type reticle will do.  If it has parallax adjustment (AO or Side Turret) so much the better.  If precision shooting is the goal parallax adjustment is a must and steer clear of any BDC reticle.  There are arguments to be made for First (FFP) or Second (SFP) Focal Plane scopes.  With the right reticle either can serve you well.  Your budget will impact your options.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
What issue would I have with scope parallax set to 100 as opposed to 60?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

You would have a very blurry sight picture. Why would you do that?
View Quote

Well, I wouldn’t do that deliberately, which is why I’m asking.

At what distance would it be blurry? A shoot a minimum distance of 50 yards with Rimfire rifles.

Most of my centerfire optics have the parallax set at 100, and I don’t have blurry sight pictures at any range, although I’ve never shot a target lower than 50 yards.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#8]

I have never used Rimfire scopes on my .22s. I shoot matches with mine and the older style rimfire scopes don’t work when trying to shoot to 300-400 yards. A lot of scopes now parallax down to 10-15 yards so no issues with rimfire ranges people usually think of.

What are you setting up for rifle and scope?
View Quote

I’d like to set up the rifle to shoot 100-200 yards, but I don’t want a blurry sight picture at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
So, get a scope with an adjustable parallax
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#11]

You need to look at some more scopes especially when higher power. I don’t know of any that are set at 100 unless they are some cheaper low power hunting scopes. With low power you might not notice the blurring as as much but it’s there. Get a decent target scope and you will have no issues at 25x down to 15 yards or the 50 you shoot and you will see what a clear sight picture looks like at higher power. Even now you can get a Vortex Venom 5-25 that will adjustable parallax down to 15 yards and cost $499. Or a Diamondback Tactical for $399. There are some others cheaper that will parallax down to at least 25 yards so there will be no reason to have a blurry sight picture inside 100 yards.
View Quote

The centerfire optics that I have with fixed parallax are 1-6 LPVO’s. As I understand it, adjustable parallax isn’t needed at 12x magnification and below, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

The centerfire scope I was looking using on a Rimfire is 3-10x42 with a fixed parallax of 100.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I can do upwards of $700.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I’m going to have a look at that list.

Anything above $700 worth looking at?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:45:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#16]
Zeiss 4-16x44 Conquest  

Go look through some scopes at different distances and see what they look like to you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:24:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#18]
I recently purchased an Athlon MIDAS TAC.  Be sure to look at that, too.

MIDAS TAC $563 on Amazon

There are so many,... too many.

This is easily worth a look at $750.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Bushnell-Forge-3-24x56mm-Black-CM-Exposed-Locking-Turrets-w-Zero-Stop-Riflescope.aspx

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:07:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SOCOM76] [#19]

Well the sky is the limit there. LOL How much above?
View Quote

I could go up to $1,000, but I should mention that I’m VERY fond of simple duplex reticles for Rimfire rifles, AND I’m trying to keep the weight reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:25:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#20]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Meopta makes some nice scopes with side adjustment parallax (10y or 30y min).  From what I gather the side adjustment takes more lens than the adjustable parallax on the objective end the scope.

Some of the less expensive scopes like the Nikon Prostaff can be adjusted for rimfire use if the objective can unscrew..did this with 2 prostaffs
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#22]
My .22s have optics that will focus down to 10 yards.  A Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 and a US Optics T12 3-12.

I attempted to use my expensive Razor 4-27 once and learned that it was completely unsuitable for any precision work under about 50 yards....can’t focus that close and it’s hard to even see the 1/4” dots.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I’ve looked at the Vortex DT, and that’s an extremely busy reticle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm using an Arken SH-4 6-24x50 first focal plane scope on my Bergara B-14R .22LR; side parallax adjustment from 25 yards to infinity.  The Arken is big and it's heavy, but the Bergara is in a chassis set up for bench shooting.  200+ yards and even further make for great range days.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Most of the scopes I’ve used on rimfire rifles haven’t been rimfire specific scopes and I haven’t noticed any issues. Most have been either low powered or parallax adjustable though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I have never had an issue using a rifle scope on a rimfire.

If it is an issue for you, the Burris rimfire scope has very nice glass.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I found a scope that has parallax adjustment of 50y to infinity. Will I experience any blurriness at any particular ranges?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#32]
SWFA 10 or 12 fixed. They focused down to 10m and are on sale for $199 for Tax Day. They cannot be beat period for the price. The SWFA  3-15 is another great scope for what you pay for it. They are on sale for $599. Read some reviews on them. I have the 10x on a Kidd 22 and it is a shooting machine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:
I found a scope that has parallax adjustment of 50y to infinity. Will I experience any blurriness at any particular ranges?
View Quote

Everyone has told you to look for a very close-focusing scope.  It has to focus down to 10, 15 or 25 yd.  Scopes that do this are readily available.  

Don't buy a scope that won't go below 50 yards.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Just because a scope is marked to 50 yards, doesn't necessarily mean that's its limit.  Parallax markings aren't exact.

For example, I have a Z6 that's supposed to focus down to 50 meters, but turns and focuses well below that.  In reality, it's closer to 10 meters.

But, the only way you're going to know for sure is by getting your hands on a particular scope, or info from someone who has 1.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Leupold re-released their 6.5-20x40 fine duplex efr, that focuses down to 10 yards and is extremely precise and simple, but not the best choice if doing very long range, variable distance shooting. That’s where the Christmas tree reticles excel.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#36]
Originally Posted By MontstrSp:
Leupold re-released their 6.5-20x40 fine duplex efr, that focuses down to 10 yards and is extremely precise and simple, but not the best choice if doing very long range, variable distance shooting. That’s where the Christmas tree reticles excel.
View Quote

Did that just happen, as in, the last few weeks?  I ask because, a couple of months ago, Leupold notified me it had been dropped from their line up.  

Great optics, great turrets, light in weight, adjustable close-focusing parallax, fine duplex, reasonably low cost,... it was my benchmark for comparison.

Unfortunately, other than used, everyone was sold out.  As I do not use ebay, the used ones I found for sale were unobtainium to me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
What issue would I have with scope parallax set to 100 as opposed to 60?

Parallax is more than focus knob. It can effect differences of point of aim and point of impact. You really start to see the effects when you shoot at different distances, near to far or far to near.

Rifle Scope Parallax in Plain English
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm using an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 x 50 on my Begara B14R. I think I paid under $350 for it. I have shot it out to 300 yards. I am happy with it so far.

I do know people with Nightforce ATACRs on Voodoos. Their rifle setups cost more than I paid for my car. Seems like overkill. To each their own.

I know also people with pistol scopes and LPVOs on 22 rifles. They are all pretty good shooters. They must be doing something right. It all depends on what the end use is.

Once you pick the features you want, and weed out the Ebay / Airsoft / Blue Light Special stuff, the difference between rimfire and centerfire scopes is durability. Centerfires optics are made to handle heavier recoil and probably more abuse overall. They cost more to make and are heavier because of that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:19:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#40]
Indeed parallax error can produce unexpected misses at close range rimfire shooting where precision (very small targets) is required.  Its not just focus.  Unless your eye is exactly centered in the eyepiece, POI may vary from POA.

Scopes with adjustable parallax that can adjust down to at least 25 yards are good choices.  So are rimfire specific fixed parallax scopes.

What some may not know is that many centerfire scopes do have "hidden" parallax adjustment.  Vari-X and the various VX Leupold scopes come to mind.  The very front of those "fixed parallax" scopes has a user removable outer ring.  The very front of the scope is threaded and can be removed.  The scope remains completely sealed.  Behind that first ring is the slotted front of the actual objective lens assembly.  This can be rotated clockwise or counter clockwise to adjust parallax.  Its basically the same as older style adjustable objective parallax scopes.

Leupold rimfire scopes (and some other brands) are identical to those centerfire versions.  Only difference is the adjustment of the slotted ring. They just come from the factory with the slotted ring adjusted for shorter distance shooting.  That means if you have a centerfire fixed parallax variable of that type you can easily convert it to rimfire use.

These scopes are typically 2-7x or 3-9x hunting scopes.  But with a simple adjustment of that slotted ring followed by reinstalling the outer ring they become great general purpose rimfire scopes for squirrels, varmints and other such uses.

Here is one of my Leupold VX-2 2-7x centerfire scopes with the outer ring removed.  It has been adjusted for 50 yard parallax rather than its original parallax which I think was at 150 yards.

So, if you have one of these centerfire scopes sitting around gathering dust and need a hunting style rimfire in the 2-7x or 3-9x power range just adjust the ring while looking at a small object close by.  Move your eye from center toward the edge of the FOV and adjust until the object does not move regardless of your eye position.  The object will also be in sharp focus at that distance.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MS556:
Indeed parallax error can produce unexpected misses at close range rimfire shooting where precision (very small targets) is required.  Its not just focus.  Unless your eye is exactly centered in the eyepiece, POI may vary from POA.

Scopes with adjustable parallax that can adjust down to at least 25 yards are good choices.  So are rimfire specific fixed parallax scopes.

What some may not know is that many centerfire scopes do have "hidden" parallax adjustment.  Vari-X and the various VX Leupold scopes come to mind.  The very front of those "fixed parallax" scopes has a user removable outer ring.  The very front of the scope is threaded and can be removed.  The scope remains completely sealed.  Behind that first ring is the slotted front of the actual objective lens assembly.  This can be rotated clockwise or counter clockwise to adjust parallax.  Its basically the same as older style adjustable objective parallax scopes.

Leupold rimfire scopes (and some other brands) are identical to those centerfire versions.  Only difference is the adjustment of the slotted ring. They just come from the factory with the slotted ring adjusted for shorter distance shooting.  That means if you have a centerfire fixed parallax variable of that type you can easily convert it to rimfire use.

These scopes are typically 2-7x or 3-9x hunting scopes.  But with a simple adjustment of that slotted ring followed by reinstalling the outer ring they become great general purpose rimfire scopes for squirrels, varmints and other such uses.

Here is one of my Leupold VX-2 2-7x centerfire scopes with the outer ring removed.  It has been adjusted for 50 yard parallax rather than its original parallax which I think was at 150 yards.

So, if you have one of these centerfire scopes sitting around gathering dust and need a hunting style rimfire in the 2-7x or 3-9x power range just adjust the ring while looking at a small object close by.  Move your eye from center toward the edge of the FOV and adjust until the object does not move regardless of your eye position.  The object will also be in sharp focus at that distance.

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9vmYvNR/IMG-1531.jpg

View Quote

Good info!
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

Did that just happen, as in, the last few weeks?  I ask because, a couple of months ago, Leupold notified me it had been dropped from their line up.  

Great optics, great turrets, light in weight, adjustable close-focusing parallax, fine duplex, reasonably low cost,... it was my benchmark for comparison.

Unfortunately, other than used, everyone was sold out.  As I do not use ebay, the used ones I found for sale were unobtainium to me.
View Quote

Yes, new in stock with both windage and elevation target turrets. Vx-3hd 6.5-20x40mm EFR. I nearly bought it, but already have lots of rimfire capable scopes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:46:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#43]
Originally Posted By MontstrSp:
Yes, new in stock with both windage and elevation target turrets. Vx-3hd 6.5-20x40mm EFR. I nearly bought it, but already have lots of rimfire capable scopes.
View Quote

Pfft!  I just checked the Leupold web site and they have them available.  

Unbelievable,... I delayed my purchase for months hoping to get one of those.  When I got the email from Leupold it said they were gone from the line up.  They gave no hint of it ever returning.  I'd probably have waited.

They are 1/2 to 1 pound lighter than the others, have AO for parallax (which I prefer), close focussing, reasonably priced, decent glass,... It was the benchmark against which all other were compared.

Oh, well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 2:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#44]
Deleted duplicate.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Do you mean this one?  It is extremely useful if you shoot .22LR at distances between 100 and 300 yards for drop and wind drift and use a ballistics app.

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:21:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#46]
I’ve looked at the Vortex DT, and that’s an extremely busy reticle.
View Quote

This one?  Its extremely useful.  Here is that reticle as it appears in the Strelok ballistics app as I use it with Eley Match ammo zeroed for 100 yards showing holdover points out to 300 and wind hold offs.  Its with 3 MOA of elevation dialed in to let me reach 300.  Wind drift is shown for 2, 5, and 10 mph.  I'm terrible with rimfire wind drift and this really helps.

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By MS556:

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9vmYvNR/IMG-1531.jpg

View Quote

I've done this before with a center-fire scope and it works. You can adjust the parallax for the distance you want to shoot.

Somewhere between 50-75 yard setting seemed like the sweet spot for me at the time.

One of the rubber strap wrenches turned the front ring off easily.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I wouldnt discount a simple duplex. My lever gun uses a duplex but theres a lot of Kentucky windage involved. My comp gun uses a tree reticle which is a requirement if you intend to actually be competitive. In some stages you have varying distances and you cant dial, which means you have to use a tree reticle or you just guess which isnt a good way to rack up points.

If you just want to sit on a bench at shoot at 100 then yes, a tree reticle is extremely cluttered.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#49]
If you have any local rifle & pistol clubs hosting NRA smallbore 50 foot indoor competition, that may be an opportunity to scope out some decent glass.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Vudoo Rimfire Optics Video

This is probably out of your price range OP, but I thought you might find it worth a watch.  

I’m going to get the NF scope they talk about for my Vudoo rifle.  I’ve got a bunch of old Mk 4’s to sell first.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Rimfire Scope Question (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top