Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2021 10:35:34 AM EDT
I've finished a .308 build and I've noticed that the rifle has a slight side to side movement when I'm looking through the scope.  I'm not "heavy handed" when it comes to shooting it.  My bolt gun doesn't do it.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you describing receiver rattle?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Heart rate and breathing

Timing makes that a non issue.

If you have loose components tighten them up otherwise learn to shoot in between breaths.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:48:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Watch_this71] [#4]
No, no loose components.  Same bipod and rear bag.  Is there such a thing as a "wrong" bag?

I'll pay more attention when I shoot again
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll lightly wrap my fingers around the forward side of the grip.  My thumb doesn't touch the gun when I'm looking through the scope.  I have a (two-stage) flat trigger, so only the tip of my finger touches the trigger, and it's a very light grip when I start to pull it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Out of curiosity, what power is the scope set at when you see this?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Out of curiosity, what power is the scope set at when you see this?
View Quote

My range is only 300m, so the power stays between 12 and 15.  

I checked the receivers for play and I torqued the tension screw in the lower is still holding the upper tight with the lower
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I presume the side to side movement is rhythmic and synchronized with your pulse...  yes?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I presume the side to side movement is rhythmic and synchronized with your pulse...  yes?
View Quote

That’s a thing?  As light as I hold my rifles, I’ve never even thought that my pulse would have an effect on them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:43:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#12]
Originally Posted By hippies_suck71:
That’s a thing?  As light as I hold my rifles, I’ve never even thought that my pulse would have an effect on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Well, yes it's "a thing"... the higher the magnification setting the more likely you are to see it...  12x to 15x is a little on the low side so I would imagine that the movements seem "small" in size...  but you didn't answer my question (there are definitely other possibilities) - pulse synchronization - y/n???...
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, yes it's "a thing"... the higher the magnification setting the more likely you are to see it...  12x to 15x is a little on the low side so I would imagine that the movements seem "small" in size...  but you didn't answer my question (there are definitely other possibilities) - pulse synchronization - y/n???...
View Quote

I honestly have no idea, but I'm gonna pay attention this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:51:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#15]

I honestly have no idea, but I'm gonna pay attention this weekend.
View Quote

Just a suggestion, but record a video with your phone at your next range session. If it’s filmed directly parallel to the rifle, and at the same approximate height of the rifle so your hands aren’t obscured, some of the posters will be able to evaluate your form/positioning/technique to offer more detailed suggestions.

When doing this, if you notice the “scope shake”, be sure to mention it out loud while recording to allow ppl to really focus on what is occurring just prior and during that phase of the firing sequence.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Pulse can absolutely show up in your rifle/scope, yes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Vespid_Wasp:

Pulse can absolutely show up in your rifle/scope, yes.
View Quote

And it did.

I took my precision guns out today and did pay attention to my heartbeat and when the gun moved.  I’m not going to lie, I was quite surprised by that.  Steady and calm breathing was a help.

Thanks to all for your insight and advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top