Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2018 1:51:35 PM EDT
Hey guys, after getting the snot kicked out of me at the range yesterday by my model 70 featherweight 30-06 I’d like to get something more suitable for practice but also that I can hunt deer, elk and moose with as well. Whatever I end up with, I know it will need to  be heavier than a featherweight rifle and I want that to reduce recoil. I also want a threaded barrel to use a brake and or my suppressor.

I currently have a decent amount of ammo and lots components for 30-06 and 6.5x55. I’m thinking I want to stick with 30-06 if possible. So far I have looked at the Ruger 77 FTW 30-06, the Bergara rifles and the Remington 700 LR.

What else would you guys recommend I look at?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:25:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#1]
Is your position loose or tight? As in are you getting moved a lot, or is the force concentrating in your shoulder?

Loadwise:
10-13gr Red Dot, <175gr bullet. A little dirty, at least run an oil and dry patch through before using other loads. I'm not a hunter, but a softer bullet might work just fine within 100yds.

60% max charge of H4895. Go up until you reach a node of expansion, accuracy, and comfort threshold.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
A practice load is easy enough.  Like above, or cast bullet.

Dropping down a bullet size.  A deer is easy to kill with a 150, no need for the 165 or 180 or bigger.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the force is being concentrated in my shoulder or, at least it sure feels like it.To be honest, I've never had any formal rifle training beyond a few carbine courses. I was shooting prone and sitting with no sling on improvised rests. Interestingly, I shot my Lee Enfield with Greek surplus and irons better than the hunting rifle I was trying to practice with!

Thanks for the great load info! I'll have to try those sometime.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:48:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 870Fan:
I think the force is being concentrated in my shoulder or, at least it sure feels like it.To be honest, I've never had any formal rifle training beyond a few carbine courses. I was shooting prone and sitting with no sling on improvised rests. Interestingly, I shot my Lee Enfield with Greek surplus and irons better than the hunting rifle I was trying to practice with!

Thanks for the great load info! I'll have to try those sometime.
View Quote
If you are looking for something to mitigate recoil discomfort, I got one of these to add an inch to my stock that was not adjustable and too short.  I was surprised at how much it softened my already not bad recoil.  They just slip on over the butt of your stock and are not permanently installed so easy to remove or change.  I could use another inch of length on my stock and am still looking although I DO appreciate the added inch.

They are also available in 1/2 inch thickness if you don't want as much added length...

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Recorx, thanks for the great suggestion. My wallet might than you as well!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Why don't you just thread your barrel and install a muzzle brake?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:08:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperDutyMikeMc] [#7]
Hey guys, after getting the snot kicked out of me at the range yesterday by my model 70 featherweight 30-06 I’d like to get something more suitable for practice but also that I can hunt deer, elk and moose with as well. Whatever I end up with, I know it will need to  be heavier than a featherweight rifle and I want that to reduce recoil. I also want a threaded barrel to use a brake and or my suppressor.

I currently have a decent amount of ammo and lots components for 30-06 and 6.5x55. I’m thinking I want to stick with 30-06 if possible. So far I have looked at the Ruger 77 FTW 30-06, the Bergara rifles and the Remington 700 LR.

What else would you guys recommend I look at?
View Quote
You're really asking a lot here.

Any rifle that is traditionally associated with Deer/Elk/Moose isn't going to be the most friendly rifle for target practice. While you may have the components now, those don't last forever if you're shooting with any level of regularity. As a result, the larger calibers aren't really optimal from an economic, recoil, and blast fatigue perspective; hence why a lot of folks are moving towards the 6mm-6.5mm offerings for dedicated target work.

Secondly, rifles that are fun for targets are generally heavy SOBs, so if you're choosing a rifle for both, you're really choosing a "jack of all trades, master of none" type rig.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a dedicated target rifle, and a dedicated hunting rifle.

My 2c.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:34:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#8]
Reorx, thanks for the great suggestion. My wallet might thank you as well!
View Quote
Cheers!  Yes it is a very reasonably priced and easy to apply & remove (make sure you get the right size).  Report back with results/experience...
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Sinister I don't want to thread the barrel on my hunting rifle, it's a pre 64 model 70 otherwise I totally would. I end up getting another rifle of any type it will have a threaded barrel for sure for a brake and or a suppressor.

SuperdutyMikemc, you raise a very good point about trying make 1 thing, all the things.

Thanks again for all the great input guys.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Same rifle in .223.

Shoot to your heart's content for pennies on the dollar. And you get a new rifle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
Same rifle in .223.

Shoot to your heart's content for pennies on the dollar. And you get a new rifle.
View Quote
If 223 was legal for deer and antelope here in Colorado, I would do exactly that.

I drive around a lot for work and so far, I’ve fondled the Tikka CTR, Bergera HMR 14 and Remington 700 long range. There are also a couple NIB 700 Sendero II Custom Shops in 6.5x55 on Gun Broker but Remington’s issues over the last couple of years are a concern not to mention they are very pricey. On the plus side for the 700, the after market is huge.

Right now I’m leaning towards the Tikka CTR in 6.5 creedmoor with the Bergera right behind it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#12]
...On the plus side for the 700, the after market is huge.

Right now I’m leaning towards the Tikka CTR in 6.5 creedmoor with the Bergera right behind it.
View Quote
OBTW - Bergara rifles (HMR included) use a R-700 pattern for bases and triggers so you can use R-700 compatible parts for them.  I just got an new Huber 2 stage trigger for my HMR.  Can't wait to put it in and shoot it...
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Reorx, hope your rifle shoots great! The only thing holding me back on the Bergera is that the safety doesn’t lock the bolt. I’ve had bolts get snagged out of battery while hiking with a pack and want to avoid it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot a T3X Lite in 6.5CM. No complaints.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Reorx, hope your rifle shoots great! The only thing holding me back on the Bergera is that the safety doesn’t lock the bolt. I’ve had bolts get snagged out of battery while hiking with a pack and want to avoid it.
View Quote
Personally, I like a safety that allows the user to chamber or unchamber a round...  but, as you have mentioned, opinions/preferences vary...  If you are going to be hiking with it, you might consider a scabbard... perhaps...
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I use my CTR for hunting and target. Total weight loaded with sling and bipod is 13 lbs. it sucks carrying that thing in the mountains. But it is accurate and easy to shoot all day.

308 ctr
Krg bravo stock
Leopold mk 6 3-18
Tbac ultra 7
Harris bipod
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:01:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#17]
This is my hunting rifle..also use it to shoot rocks way out there just for fun...

Attachment Attached File

weighs about 16 pounds...
MPA chassis
R-700LA 300RUM
28" Bartlein medium palma
Atlas PRS
Razor gen2 4.5-27-56
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't carry a round in the chamber big game hunting. I don't put a round in the chamber until ready to fire so doing so with the safety off isn't a big deal to me. A bolt that doesn't lock closed drives me nuts. I would prefer Tikka had a 3 position like Savage, but it doesn't sooooo........

Just for comparison:
Tikka T3X Lite 6.5CM
No-name stock pack
Sportsmatch rings
SWFA 3-9X42
9-13 Harris bipod
=9.08#

I considered the CTR but just couldn't justify the added weight on a rifle intended for hunting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
Same rifle in .223.

View Quote
Instead of one dual use rifle, I went with the above approach in addition to my hunting rifle.

I hunt with a Tikka T3 in .30-06 and have a second T3X in .223 for practice.  Its the same stock, same trigger, same bolt handle, and I put the same scope on it.  The only differences are the length of the bolt throw and the recoil.  I can go to the range and shoot 50-100 rounds at 30 cents a piece and have no discomfort from recoil.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Since I started this thread and got all the great input from you guys, I’ve looked at a bunch of guns and did some thinking,  I agree that my initial plan was not a good one.

Realistically, I’m unlikely to shoot at game past 400 yards and much more likely to shoot at 250 yards or less. Putting a slip on limb saver on my 30-06 and practicing with it a couple of times a year should work just fine.

Also, something in 223/556 or 6.5 Grendel (can use for deer and antelope in CO) makes a lot more sense for practice and fun.

Tomorrow, I’m going to try my hand at steel with a 20” AR15 topped with a 2.5-10 out to 400 yards or so and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Take a look at the Weatherby Vanguard. I think the Synthetic stock version is available in most all the common calibers and cost is under 600.00. I have 2 of them. One is .308 and one is a 270. Both are capable rounds for most large game. They are guaranteed to shoot sub moa on factory ammo and mine do.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Since I started this thread and got all the great input from you guys, I’ve looked at a bunch of guns and did some thinking,  I agree that my initial plan was not a good one.

Realistically, I’m unlikely to shoot at game past 400 yards and much more likely to shoot at 250 yards or less. Putting a slip on limb saver on my 30-06 and practicing with it a couple of times a year should work just fine.

Also, something in 223/556 or 6.5 Grendel (can use for deer and antelope in CO) makes a lot more sense for practice and fun.

Tomorrow, I’m going to try my hand at steel with a 20” AR15 topped with a 2.5-10 out to 400 yards or so and see how it goes.
View Quote
How'd it go with the 20" AR at 400?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#23]
It went really well! The wind got pretty gusty and unpredictable  towards the end of our session which made getting hits on the 10” plates we had out there challenging. The AR we were shooting was a budget build A4 type clone I built years ago which was grouping about 2.5” at a 100 yards with PMC bronze 55 grain 223. I also shot my CZ 550fs 6.5x55 hunting rifle when the wind picked up and it was easier to hit with but is not a gun I could run box after box of ammo through like an AR even in mild mannered 6.5x55.

I think overall the most exciting thing was putting a plan together that involved learning how to use the mil reticle on the Burris XTR II 2-10x on the AR prior to going out, confirming zero 1st when we got to the range and then using a laser range finder to put steel out quickly at known distances to practice with. I’m definitely hooked and chomping at the bit to get out again!
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#24]
If you don't reload
https://www.remington.com/ammunition/centerfire-rifle/managed-recoil
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001696960/hornady-custom-lite-ammunition-30-06-springfield-125-grain-sst-box-of-20

If you do, you can also use Trail Boss, it's fun
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-education/tips-and-tricks/low-recoil-loads
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#25]
If you haven't fondled a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon LR, you owe it to yourself to do so.  The bolt throw is great, the recoil pad is nice, standard side bolt release, two position safety, threaded muzzle with radial brake installed, and it looks great.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By areeves08:
If you haven't fondled a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon LR, you owe it to yourself to do so.  The bolt throw is great, the recoil pad is nice, standard side bolt release, two position safety, threaded muzzle with radial brake installed, and it looks great.
View Quote
Came to this thread to suggest X Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed. lightweight and braked - and friggin beautiful to boot. I keep considering one in 300WSM to add a level of power to my 7mm-08.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I also think a backup rifle of 223 is an excellent idea. With a Tikka T3, might even be able to justify the relatively low cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top