Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2022 12:22:55 PM EDT
I just picked up a Remington 721 in 270 Win.  A nice little rifle, for sure, but I'm trying to decide what to do with it.  Serial number is such that it was made some 60-70 years ago, and Wiki says it was a precursor to the 700.

I kinda just want to keep it as-is, as its a nice little piece of history.

On the other hand, I've been after a long-action 700 for a decade, and I'm wondering how compatible the old 721 receiver would be with modern 700 stuff.... For example, swapping the barrel for something more recent.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By tucansam:
I just picked up a Remington 721 in 270 Win.  A nice little rifle, for sure, but I'm trying to decide what to do with it.  Serial number is such that it was made some 60-70 years ago, and Wiki says it was a precursor to the 700.

I kinda just want to keep it as-is, as its a nice little piece of history.

On the other hand, I've been after a long-action 700 for a decade, and I'm wondering how compatible the old 721 receiver would be with modern 700 stuff.... For example, swapping the barrel for something more recent.

Thanks.
View Quote

I would keep it as is. They had a really good trigger and there’s plenty of 700 actions out there to play with.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one in 30/06 and scoped it but keep it stock.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep it stock, it's a classic old rifle, don't start messing around with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top