Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2022 1:25:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZitiForBreakfast]
I have a Remington 700 VS. Very happy with it, tack driver.

I have had 6 unintentional discharges since acquiring the rifle. All have been while the weapon is on safe. 3 of them was when the weapon was taken off of safe the other 3 is when the bolt went forward with rounds in the internal magazine weapon was on safe.

Remington Recall PDF says two things, 1) my trigger is ribbed so its not part of the recall and 2) and checking their recall site, my SN say's not part of the recall.

I had the 6th one yesterday.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 3/18/2022 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Timney and be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d replace the trigger with one of the many great aftermarket ones available, TriggerTech, Timney, Bix n Andy, and enjoy my rifle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
So you have a rifle that has misfired six times and you are still using it instead of fixing it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GSPatton:
So you have a rifle that has misfired six times and you are still using it instead of fixing it?
View Quote

Think Sniperhide had an instructional setup on how to properly tune the Remington 700 trigger.

It sounds like this is possibly an improperly adjusted trigger beyond soley a safety issue
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I would replace the trigger. I have no idea what the warranty situation is with the bankruptcy but I don't think I'd want to send my rifle in currently. With the known good triggers out there it's a safe upgrade to try out. If you don't want to spend the money you could look up how to adjust it if you want to go that route.

In the past I've heard it said that the vast majority of 700 triggers that had problems were ones that were adjusted improperly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
slap an aftermarket trigger in it and drive on!
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I’d just buy a new trigger and move on.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Yikes.  I really like the Geissele 2 stage trigger for the 700, that, or a Jewell.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Seastate:
Timney and be done with it.
View Quote

Yes. I did this and never had a regret since. So nice, so crisp.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the reply, everyone.

I didn't think, after this thread, and doing some reading, that a trigger swap would be an easy option.

Time to spend some $
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe I missed this….did OP buy the rifle new or used?
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#15]
A varmint rifle?  

You bought new or used?

Did you adjust or have the trigger adjusted?

Do you keep the trigger spotless or is it possible you have gummy oil in the trigger pack?

They can be adjusted pretty low but your risk of an AD climbs with less weight.  Keeping the springs set to apply more weight to the system more readily returns to where they are supposed to instead of less engaged.
If the sear engagement is too little then you risk an AD.  That and the condition of the engagement surface.  
If there is gummed oil in the pack then the parts don’t return to their proper location and you can have an AD.

Combine any or all of those factors and your odds climb!

I have serviced my own and had a gunsmith show me how they work.  I have read several write ups on the different generations of the Walker trigger and how they can be adjusted and their failure modes.  

keep the weight above a certain weight, have sufficient sear engagemnt, keep them clean, re lock the setting screws with glue so they cannot walk out of adjustment and they will work.  I only had one that was truly sub par in manufacture.  Crap part, sear surface was rough, and the top engagement  surface was not square, it engaged lopsided.  It was fixable,...barely, by reprofiling it square.   (Edit,...part worked over by the aforementioned gunsmith while I watched and listened to him bitch Remington)

That last one was as close as I ever came to replacing one.  No longer have the rifle.  

Oh and a Timney works.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Timney is ok for sure, I like trigger Tech better, but yeah throw a trigger in it and go..
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Who owns a rifle that has an unintentional discharge, and EVER EVER chambers another round without resolving the issue fully and completely.

6 times?  I cannot get my head around that AT ALL.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Timney is ok for sure, I like trigger Tech better, but yeah throw a trigger in it and go..
View Quote

I’ve run TT Specials in a couple of rifles and just upgraded my PMR Pro to a Diamond. Love me some TriggerTech.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I replace all my Rem 700 with a Timney Hunter  trigger .
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Definitely replace that trigger.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FZJ80:
Yikes.  I really like the Geissele 2 stage trigger for the 700, that, or a Jewell.
View Quote
I have an older 700 with a gunsmith tuned trigger that has been perfect for many decades. That's fine and it's nice.

our two Remingtons with the later triggers have been replaced with g two stage triggers and we love them. Amazing triggers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:29:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#22]
Older Remington triggers could be tuned down to 2.5 pounds minimum. 3 pounds for an extra level of safety.

A coworker went on a hunting trip with his son and accidently shot him at the end of their day. Bled out before the helicopter arrived. Tragedies can be avoided with safe gun handling techniques. Ignoring safety malfunctions places 100% of the outcome on you.

A 3 pound trigger is plenty light on a hunting rifle. I would contact Remington again and ask for a RMA. If your trigger is original to the gun and has never been tampered with, it's in their best interest to fix it. I am surprised they didn't offer to do so, but just coming out of bankruptcy they may not be interested in legacy product repairs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I would find the adjusting instructions and adjust the trigger to a crisp clean 2.5#s and do the required safety checks and drive on.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:
Thanks for the reply, everyone.

I didn't think, after this thread, and doing some reading, that a trigger swap would be an easy option.

Time to spend some $
View Quote

It's been said that those ribbed triggers are good triggers if adjusted properly.

As mentioned above go to Snipershide and adjust it yourself.

If you still want to replace the trigger group pm me and I'll buy it off of you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top