Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2019 10:17:37 PM EDT
I'm getting a 600 yard range opening up before Christmas near where I live. I have never shot over 100 yards and I'm looking at getting a rifle to use at the new range. So far I have just picked out this rifle and nothing else ,but have been looking at Vortex scopes. I'm not new to bolt rifles and have a few hunting rifles but nothing above hunting accuracy. I'm one of the poors so this is going to come in bits and pieces, scope, 20 moa base, bipod, loading dies, etc,etc.

I just want to start out with a decent rifle but can't go a few grand for one right away.I'm also trying to decide 6.5 Creedmore or 308.
I reload so either one is no problem but I'm sort of old school and I'm looking at 308 more than the 6.5 which I know is the better round for long range.

The main reason I'm looking at this rifle is it's really turning me on and the 5R rifling. But if I would be better served with something better and maybe cheaper please put in your 2 cents and let me know.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 6:50:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#1]
In before the Remmy hater's. Nice thing is Remmy's hold their value. So go ahead and Buy The Best Glass You Can Afford!!! Because it's easier to sell the rifle than the scope. If I could not afford at least a Vortex PST gen II I would put it on one of my hunting rifles and work from there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Its 2019 theres far better options. Tikka and bergara for starters.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#3]
What models at what price.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Progun1911:
View Quote
Want a target gun then tikka CTR or bergara HMR. Your old enough to buy the gun so I'm sure you'll be able to price them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 11:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InternationalM] [#5]
I'm getting a 600 yard range opening up before Christmas near where I live. I have never shot over 100 yards and I'm looking at getting a rifle to use at the new range. So far I have just picked out this rifle and nothing else ,but have been looking at Vortex scopes. I'm not new to bolt rifles and have a few hunting rifles but nothing above hunting accuracy. I'm one of the poors so this is going to come in bits and pieces, scope, 20 moa base, bipod, loading dies, etc,etc.

I just want to start out with a decent rifle but can't go a few grand for one right away.I'm also trying to decide 6.5 Creedmore or 308.
I reload so either one is no problem but I'm sort of old school and I'm looking at 308 more than the 6.5 which I know is the better round for long range.

The main reason I'm looking at this rifle is it's really turning me on and the 5R rifling. But if I would be better served with something better and maybe cheaper please put in your 2 cents and let me know.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/229367/1680_1__jpg-1176059.JPG
View Quote
@Progun1911

A lot of guys at my local range shoot the 700 5r milspec  and like them. I plan to buy a barreled receiver from optics planet after grad school in may.... Tikka is nice but mags are pricey and if you leave it stock, then your stuck with tikka mags... No AICS or PMags.... Bergera is a Spanish copy (hmrs are made in Spain, higher end rifles made in USA)and Remington 700 clone and I am not sure if the HMR is better than the 5r.... But the Bergeras take advantage of the 700 aftermarket products...
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By InternationalM:

@Progun1911

A lot of guys at my local range shoot them and like them after grad school I’m wanting to get one of the barreled 5r actions from optics planet.... Tikka is nice but mags are pricey and if you leave it stock, then your stuck with tikka mags... No AICS or PMags.... Bergera is a Spanish copy (hmrs are made in Spain, higher end rifles made in USA)and Remington 700 clone and I am not sure if the HMR is better than the 5r.... But the Bergeras take advantage of the 700 aftermarket products...
View Quote
I replace all my tikka stocks so I use aics mags but tikka mags aren't that expensive especially if your not invested in another system. The HMR is absolutely better.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
What’s your price range for the rifle?

A Bergara HMR or Tikka CTR would be a good choice at or under $1k. Either can be found in 6.5 or .308 as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Depending on price a couple of options. The Rem 700 5R is a nice rifle. I had one in 223. The Bergara HMR is a WAY better rifle. Full Stock adjust ability from the factory. You have to replace the stock on the Rem to get that $400-????? The Ruger American Predator is Mid $500 range around me & buy a Magpul Hunter for $250. EGW 20MOA Base $50 and you are $700-$800 in a rifle that just need glass.

I have the Bergara HMR and the Ruger. The HMR is a lot nicer rig, but I have 2 times as much in it. The ruger will shoot MOA all day to 400. The HMR is Sub MOA.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mcbjus:
Depending on price a couple of options. The Rem 700 5R is a nice rifle. I had one in 223. The Bergara HMR is a WAY better rifle. Full Stock adjust ability from the factory. You have to replace the stock on the Rem to get that $400-????? The Ruger American Predator is Mid $500 range around me & buy a Magpul Hunter for $250. EGW 20MOA Base $50 and you are $700-$800 in a rifle that just need glass.

I have the Bergara HMR and the Ruger. The HMR is a lot nicer rig, but I have 2 times as much in it. The ruger will shoot MOA all day to 400. The HMR is Sub MOA.
View Quote
What happens after 400 yards?
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, have you checked out Kimber or Savage I have an older Kimber 84M Tactical. First bolt rifle I bought on my own. Once I bedded it, it turned out to be a nice rifle. THere are a lot of options out there.... A friend has one of the Sniper central built rifles, they seem to be a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking to stay about a grand for the rifle.The Rem is close to $900 so the others aren't much more. I seem to be leaning towards the Bergara over the Tikka.
But for some reason I'm still looking at the Remington 5r 20". The new range with the 600 yards to shoot hasn't even opened yet so I have plenty of time to keep researching.

I get how much better 6.5 ammo is, but I'm still looking at 308 for ammo availability and cheaper prices. I don't think I will see to much of a benefit if I'm only shooting out to 600 yards to get the 6.5, am I right on that ? I'm not sure but I need to look at my reloading stuff I think I have 308 dies already but I'm not sure. Haven't done any loading in a few years and shit got scattered around ,I need to straighten stuff up.

One other option I'm thinking about is getting a better scope and putting it on my 270 Winchester Featherweight.I have a Leupold 3x9 on the rifle now, but the rifle and scope are from the 1980's and was my hunting rig for years. The 270 has never been real accurate even at 100 yards but that might be because I've only shot Rem core loks threw it. I also have my fathers old Rem 660 in 308 with a shit scope on it. So I have a few different things to think about before I spend a bunch.

Thanks guys, more suggestions and thoughts are very welcome.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RePp:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcbjus:

I would say he has not ventured beyond
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 12:48:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InternationalM] [#13]
I'm looking to stay about a grand for the rifle.The Rem is close to $900 so the others aren't much more. I seem to be leaning towards the Bergara over the Tikka.
But for some reason I'm still looking at the Remington 5r 20". The new range with the 600 yards to shoot hasn't even opened yet so I have plenty of time to keep researching.

I get how much better 6.5 ammo is, but I'm still looking at 308 for ammo availability and cheaper prices. I don't think I will see to much of a benefit if I'm only shooting out to 600 yards to get the 6.5, am I right on that ? I'm not sure but I need to look at my reloading stuff I think I have 308 dies already but I'm not sure. Haven't done any loading in a few years and shit got scattered around ,I need to straighten stuff up.

One other option I'm thinking about is getting a better scope and putting it on my 270 Winchester Featherweight.I have a Leupold 3x9 on the rifle now, but the rifle and scope are from the 1980's and was my hunting rig for years. The 270 has never been real accurate even at 100 yards but that might be because I've only shot Rem core loks threw it. I also have my fathers old Rem 660 in 308 with a shit scope on it. So I have a few different things to think about before I spend a bunch.

View Quote
If the 5r is what you like, might as well go with it. A lot of people are happy with them. The Bergera's are nice, but the only bonus that its stock has over the 5r is the adjustable comb..... Both the H&S and the Bergera stocks have an aluminum bedding block. Barrel maybe or may not be better on the Bergera. Skim bedding the block wouldn't be a bad idea for either gun. Just gotta check them out good luck regardless.  At the end of the day both are still a mass produced rifle. Howa is another option if your still checking things out.

ETA sometimes going to the local fun store and checking out the guns help.... Remington, Howa, Bergera, even Tikka screw up, its always worth taking the time to check the rifle over, look for things like how the barrel is floated or if it isn't centered (if the barrel looks like it is at an angle or closer to one side and its in a stock with a bedding block, that means the bedding block is canted or off... It happens to all manufacturers). Just checking over the gun can eliminate the shit boxes.... Though Tikka since they ship fewer guns and sell at less places then the others  have a habit of having better units available.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
6.5 creedmoor ammo is everywhere. Unless you have stock piles of 308 laying around theres no reason to roll that way. Corelokt is the worst shit ever for accuracy I'm sure just about anything would be better then that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Its 2019 theres far better options. Tikka and bergara for starters.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:05:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Progun1911] [#16]

If the 5r is what you like, might as well go with it. A lot of people are happy with them. The Bergera's are nice, but the only bonus that its stock has over the 5r is the adjustable comb..... Both the H&S and the Bergera stocks have an aluminum bedding block. Barrel maybe or may not be better on the Bergera. Skim bedding the block wouldn't be a bad idea for either gun. Just gotta check them out good luck regardless.  At the end of the day both are still a mass produced rifle. Howa is another option if your still checking things out.

ETA sometimes going to the local fun store and checking out the guns help.... Remington, Howa, Bergera, even Tikka screw up, its always worth taking the time to check the rifle over, look for things like how the barrel is floated or if it isn't centered (if the barrel looks like it is at an angle or closer to one side and its in a stock with a bedding block, that means the bedding block is canted or off... It happens to all manufacturers). Just checking over the gun can eliminate the shit boxes.... Though Tikka since they ship fewer guns and sell at less places then the others  have a habit of having better units available.
View Quote
I got just about no where to look at rifles like what were're talking about around me ,unless Rural King sells them. I have a nice little shop close , but prices are high and very limited supply of rifles. The only places that might have some are places in Tampa over an hour away. I might have to make the trip to the city coming up soon, I live in cow country.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InternationalM] [#17]
I got just about no where to look at rifles like what were're talking about around me ,unless Rural King sells them. I have a nice little shop close , but prices are high and very limited supply of rifles. The only places that might have some are places in Tampa over an hour away. I might have to make the trip to the city coming up soon, I live in cow country.
View Quote
I hate to say it but if you want to check out any of the Howas or a Bergera, Dicks is your best bet I figure.... They have the cheaper R700's which are junk unless you decide to dump the stocks..... If you have a rural king there should be a Dicks near by..... Looks like Rural Kings still sells the RPR, which is a little more than your budget.... Roughly 200 or so more....
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Dicks could have the rifle on sale for a dollar ....and they could shove it where the sun don't shine.

I'll have to take a look at RK ,mostly all I ever look at is pistols and lever guns.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
That is all i have access to unless i use a crop field. My local range is only to 400.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm still researching but I'm leaning towards the Bergara HMR in 308. I joined Snipers Hide so I researching there also and reading articles on line, and videos and ...... There's a shit ton of info but I narrowing things down like scope ,rings ,bipod ......
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm still researching but I'm leaning towards the Bergara HMR in 308. I joined Snipers Hide so I researching there also and reading articles on line, and videos and ...... There's a shit ton of info but I narrowing things down like scope ,rings ,bipod ......
View Quote
Why 308? Sphur mount, harris,magpul, atlas bipods, kahles, razor, amg, night force, get an armageddon bag, range finder and kestrel.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Why 308? Sphur mount, harris,magpul, atlas bipods, kahles, razor, amg, night force, get an armageddon bag, range finder and kestrel.
View Quote
Cheaper ammo and reloading supplies. Sometimes I'm not as flush as others ,and even with the little bit cheaper I can shoot more.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 6:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#23]
Cheaper ammo and reloading supplies. Sometimes I'm not as flush as others ,and even with the little bit cheaper I can shoot more.
View Quote
Seriously how much cheaper is it? Like a nickle a shot when it comes to 308 vs 6.5 creedmoor?
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nothing wrong with 308, at all.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mi650:

Nothing wrong with 308, at all.
View Quote
Or just about any semi modern caliber. Optimal? Well that's a different beast.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#26]
That is a fine rifle.
There are better ballistics from other calibers, maybe better quality from some other manufacturers but that is probably going to be a fine shooter.  And that is what we want.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 11:26:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InternationalM] [#27]
Dicks could have the rifle on sale for a dollar ....and they could shove it where the sun don't shine.

I'll have to take a look at RK ,mostly all I ever look at is pistols and lever guns.
View Quote
I never said buy it at Dicks, I said you could check them out to see if the rifle is what you want. Nothing wrong with looking then buying at other places..... If anything its a bigger fuck you to dicks....

Nothing wrong with 308 at 600yds. Good barrel life and lots of reloading info and bullet selection. If you have the components its a good choice. If not, 6.5 creedmore isn't a bad place to go either..... If you have the set up for 308, its not like your spending a bunch of money of all new stuff for 6.5... Just bullets and brass and dies. Bullets go for the  same prices as 30 cal. Most powders go across different calibers so it is not like you have to buy new powder....Brass might be the largest problem. Reloading is a fun time as well....
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#28]

I never said buy it at Dicks, I said you could check them out to see if the rifle is what you want. Nothing wrong with looking then buying at other places..... If anything its a bigger fuck you to dicks....

Nothing wrong with 308 at 600yds. Good barrel life and lots of reloading info and bullet selection. If you have the components its a good choice. If not, 6.5 creedmore isn't a bad place to go either..... If you have the set up for 308, its not like your spending a bunch of money of all new stuff for 6.5... Just bullets and brass and dies. Bullets go for the  same prices as 30 cal. Most powders go across different calibers so it is not like you have to buy new powder....Brass might be the largest problem. Reloading is a fun time as well....
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Just an update .... I bought a Tikka CTR 6.5 CM Stainless 20" for $770.00 out the door. I couldn't pass up the price.
Now i'm still looking at scopes, and think I have settled on a Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP Riflescope EBR-7C MOA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Just an update .... I bought a Tikka CTR 6.5 CM Stainless 20" for $770.00 out the door. I couldn't pass up the price.
Now i'm still looking at scopes, and think I have settled on a Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP Riflescope EBR-7C MOA.
View Quote
Tikka is a far better rifle then the Remington. The pst gen II with ebr is also a very good choice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
Wow, a stainless CTR for $770? You stole that.

For the glass, a lot of people like the PST Gen ii's, dont think you'd go wrong with one.

For rings, I recently got a set of the Vortex PMR rings (made by Sekins) and they are very nice without going crazy on cost.

Also, check the equipment exchange on here for some good deals on equipment (rings, scopes, bipods, etc).
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#33]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/New-In-Box-Vortex-Viper-GenII-5-25x-First-Focal-Plane-MIL-MIL-Scope/23-1951841/

This guy is a rock-solid reliable seller. A gentleman and a scholar.

Seriously, hit me up. This scope is just sitting in the safe taking up room.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Nothing at all wrong with the 5r.  I'd take it in a heartbeat.  A .308 will serve you well out to 600.  It doesn't give up much to a 6.5 until you start stretching their legs past 800.  I load the 155 lapua scenar to near 3k out of a 22 inch bartlein barrel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I haven't even shot the Tikka yet. Saving for the scope,but I believe I have made up my mind and looking at the Vortex Razor Gen II 3x18x50.

A little bit longer but hopefully worth the wait.
I know it's a heavy scope, but the glass is supposed to be second to none,and this rifle is for long range, not hunting.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, why not just get a Ruger Precision Rifle? aka RPR?

Available in .308, 6.5Creed and other "magnum" calibers now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Even though it's stainless steel, Remington will find a way to ensure it rusts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By M16A4:

https://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Ruger-Precision-Rifle-is-now-chambered-in-.338-Lapua-Magnum-and-.300-Winchester-Magnum.jpg

View Quote
Already bought the Tikka , just waiting for scope money. I took off the 0 MOA rail and put a 20.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Tikka and/or Bergara > remington.  Sad but true.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#40]
dont shoot my full custom Remington anymore. shoot my tikka T3X.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#41]

https://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Ruger-Precision-Rifle-is-now-chambered-in-.338-Lapua-Magnum-and-.300-Winchester-Magnum.jpg

View Quote
Because the bolts feel like trash.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:17:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#42]
It is a sweet rifle. It is the only one I would dump my LTR for.  Bergara is a thing, more features per dollar.  Hard choice.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
I own a lot of Rugers, but that rifle just doesn't do it for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Just an update. I didn't spring for the Razor and instead bought the Gen II PST.
This copy paste text is from the S.H. ,answering a question about buying a PST scope.

This is how I got a deal.

Yesterday at 9:30 PM
Add bookmark
I just bought a Vortex PST Gen II and a bunch of other stuff for a $1057.00. B of A credit card had 0 percent interest for 15 months, plus if you spend over a thousand dollars in 90 days they give you $200 cash back. If you set the account for 3% cash back on internet purchases before you start buying, it's like another $30.00 back. Optics Planet has the scope for $949.05 plus a $100 gift card which I used to buy Seekins rings for $23.50. I bought two 5 rd Tikka CTR mags, a Harris bipod , 2 boxes of match 6.5 ammo, a bore guide and a Vortex scope level.

All for the price of the Vortex PST 5X25X50 Gen II. It's been a good night !!! This is for my Tikka CTR Stainless 6.5 20" that I got for $716.00 before tax. :)

This is one way to get a deal OP, and outfit your rifle while being frugal. (cheap) Edit to add, that I also used the Honey App and saved a few more bucks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#45]
All done for now, Comp and maybe a chassis in the future. Hopefully taking the rifle to the range tomorrow for the first time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#46]
All done for now, Comp and maybe a chassis in the future. Hopefully taking the rifle to the range tomorrow for the first time.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/229367/IMG_20200222_173629_jpg-1287636.JPG
View Quote
That's a legit setup.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks good OP, should be a nice shooter.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I took the rifle to the range yesterday and was having problems sighting it in and getting comfortable.
I'm not used to shooting off bags or the bi pod so it was messing me up....practice, practice, practice is what I need. LOL

I got the rifle sighted in at 50 yards and quit till next weekend waiting for the arrival of my Wiebad Tac Pac I just ordered from Brownells. :)
From the specs of the bag it seems like the size I need to shoot with the bi pod. I have the cheap Caldwell front and rear bag set that got me to sight in at the 50, but it was not optimal.

This was my last group at 50 yards till next weekend when I'll move to the 100.Hopefully I will be set up better.The gun shoots great, and I lowered the trigger weight down to 1.5 pounds so the trigger is nice and light ,but not to light for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I bought a Rem 700 5R circa 2005 and it shot lasers then and it shoots lasers now. I have since put it in a Magpul Pro 700 chassis. Quite nice.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I took the rifle to the range yesterday and was having problems sighting it in and getting comfortable.
I'm not used to shooting off bags or the bi pod so it was messing me up....practice, practice, practice is what I need. LOL

I got the rifle sighted in at 50 yards and quit till next weekend waiting for the arrival of my Wiebad Tac Pac I just ordered from Brownells. :)
From the specs of the bag it seems like the size I need to shoot with the bi pod. I have the cheap Caldwell front and rear bag set that got me to sight in at the 50, but it was not optimal.

This was my last group at 50 yards till next weekend when I'll move to the 100.Hopefully I will be set up better.The gun shoots great, and I lowered the trigger weight down to 1.5 pounds so the trigger is nice and light ,but not to light for me.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/229367/IMG_20200224_104211_jpg-1289528.JPG
View Quote
Dry fire at home.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top