Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2018 11:35:43 AM EDT
Typically, I’ve only seen gas port relocation done when going shorter (i.e.: cutting a midlength/rifle down to carbine). I read a suggestion somewhere that you can plug a gas port and relocate it forward as well. Well I found a guy selling some 22” & 24” rifle gas 6.5CM barrels (DPMS extension spec) - he had a criterion and a Bartlein. Would saving some money on a premium barrel that only has rifle length gas and relocating the gas port be very detrimental to accuracy, if at all? I’ve read that anything 20” or longer in 6.5CM really requires a longer gas port than rifle to solve the timing issues caused by high port pressures.

I’ve seen suggestions from just covering it with a plugged/reversed gas block or tap it for a set screw to actually welding the hole over. I’m thinking that regardless on how well I plugged a barrel, there’s still be a small spot in there to collect fouling.

Or am I overthink this... should I buy the basically almost a half-priced Bartlein from a guy at our gun club?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Both mine are 22" with rifle length gas. Adjustable gas block and tuning an SCS to H2 weight took care of everything.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:07:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wile_coyote:
Both mine are 22" with rifle length gas. Adjustable gas block and tuning an SCS to H2 weight took care of everything.
View Quote
I’ve read that the adjustable gas can take care of the excessive gas and hard cycling, but it ultimately does not cure the timing issue.

Can you run a wide variety of loads without having to retune the gas on your gun?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I've posted about it before, but I had a 260 Rem 20" RLGS Lilja barrel that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

In my experience, a RLGS, even with an adjustable gas block is no good on the 6.5 platform.

Perhaps it depends on the gas port size; the lilja was drilled ~.020 wider than the +2 Proof Research barrel that replaced it.

I've never looked into plugging a gas port, but I wouldn't imagine you'd have too many issues with it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 20" 6.5CM Faxon with rifle-length gas and an SLR gas block. Shoots great, easy on brass. OP, I think you're worrying too much about the issue. Get a barrel and an adjustable gas block and shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SuperDutyMikeMc:
I've posted about it before, but I had a 260 Rem 20" RLGS Lilja barrel that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

In my experience, a RLGS, even with an adjustable gas block is no good on the 6.5 platform.

Perhaps it depends on the gas port size; the lilja was drilled ~.020 wider than the +2 Proof Research barrel that replaced it.

I've never looked into plugging a gas port, but I wouldn't imagine you'd have too many issues with it.
View Quote
@SuperDutyMikeMc

Did you have an adjustable gas block on it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:

@SuperDutyMikeMc

View Quote
@Pneumagger

Yup, had an SLR Sentry 7 on the Lilja, and have an SLR Sentry 8 on the Proof.

The Lilja just wouldn't tame down with the adjustable block. You would set it maybe ~3 clicks from closed, and it wouldn't cycle; open it another click and it would cycle 100%, but it would be trashing brass like crazy.

It ruined a set of Lapua brass in ~2-3 firings.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I'm just lucky. I have a 24" noveske with a rifle length gas system. By most accounts it should be awful but it's not hard on brass even with some stiff h4350 loads. Slash xh buffer and slr adjustable block.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:08:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#9]
I've read that the adjustable gas can take care of the excessive gas and hard cycling, but it ultimately does not cure the timing issue.

Can you run a wide variety of loads without having to retune the gas on your gun?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I've read that the adjustable gas can take care of the excessive gas and hard cycling, but it ultimately does not cure the timing issue.

I stick between 120-140+. GB and buffer affect timing.

This is the case with both 6.5 Creedmoor and 6mm Creedmoor. For the 6mm I usually stay in the higher projectile weights as well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:18:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rob78] [#10]
@Pneumagger

The Lilja just wouldn't tame down with the adjustable block. You would set it maybe ~3 clicks from closed, and it wouldn't cycle; open it another click and it would cycle 100%, but it would be trashing brass like crazy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@SuperDutyMikeMc

@Pneumagger

Similar issues.  I'd lose primer pockets with warm loads.  Reducing gas didn't help.  22" with rlgs.

I'm actually swapping to a rifle buffer and PRS stock to help.  Already using slash heavy buffer, tubbs spring, jp FMOS bcg...it's better, just not where I want it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Other option is to just shoot the barrel you have, then get a Rainier Match to replace it down the line.  They offer a +2" gas system and the Match barrels are under 4 bills.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
Other option is to just shoot the barrel you have, then get a Rainier Match to replace it down the line.  They offer a +2" gas system and the Match barrels are under 4 bills.
View Quote
Rainier match is a nice barrel. That's what my 6.5 Creedmoor is. The 6mm is a Wilson Combat and it's a great barrel too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Rainier match is a nice barrel. That's what my 6.5 Creedmoor is. The 6mm is a Wilson Combat and it's a great barrel too.
View Quote
My 308 is a Rainier Match; Blackout is a Select.  They've got good kit.  Match and Ultramatch chambers are definitely on the small side of the SAAMI spec though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top