Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2018 4:18:26 PM EDT
I have seen tons of data on 300 blackout but they are all super loads. So I decided to do some of my own loads. I only loaded 5 of each to see what they crono at. So I am trying to make my own data but do any of you have some data you would like to share?
I did hornady 168gr Amax bullets, once fired sig 300blk brass and used H110 powder.
I did five at 7gr of powder, five at 7.5gr, five at 8gr and five at 8.5gr.
Did not seem like a whole lot of powder but my goal is to find the sweet spot of being subsonic with my 8.5” and 16” barrels.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 4:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garyd] [#1]
There is plenty of published subsonic load data.

Hodgon and Sierra to name a few.

What are your gun set up as?

gas system (carbine or pistol) barrel length, gas port size?

What are you trying to accomplish exactly?

Lightweight subs that function an AR15?

There are  alot of factors to consider
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 4:57:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911xdm] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By garyd:

View Quote
Pistol gas on the 8.5” and mid on the 16”. Both have seakins adjustable gas blocks. I want the quietest suppressed loads I can get that will still cycle and hit at 100 yards. And their websites are all supersonic loads.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:04:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#3]
You are starting at about 1/2 of what Hodgdon recommends as a "starting load".  With some smokeless powders, this is dangerous and not recommended.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
All the loads on their sites are super so I am trying to start somewhere. I am fairly new to reloading.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#5]
See my edit above!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 1911xdm:
Pistol gas on the 8.5” and mid on the 16”. Both have seakins adjustable gas blocks. I want the quietest suppressed loads I can get that will still cycle and hit at 100 yards. And their websites are all supersonic loads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There is a reason for that.  168gr bullets can be somewhat problematic when trying to make them subsonic and still function an AR15.  Heavy grains are better for subsonics, or at least easier to make work.

Also is your 16 AR Carbine gas or actual true midlength?  If it is carbine gas, you are going to be even more limited, can be done but takes some work.  If it is true midlength.  I am not sure if you can make it work at all.  without going in a direction where there is not going to be any information at all.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a reason for that.  168gr bullets can be somewhat problematic when trying to make them subsonic and still function an AR15.  Heavy grains are better for subsonics, or at least easier to make work.

Also is your 16 AR Carbine gas or actual true midlength?  If it is carbine gas, you are going to be even more limited, can be done but takes some work.  If it is true midlength.  I am not sure if you can make it work at all.  without going in a direction where there is not going to be any information at all.
View All Quotes

So I just double checked and it is carbine gas not mid.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes

Ok.

168gr and H110 are going to be difficult to run subsonic in either set up.  May get it to work in the pistol gas, It will not work in the carbine gas.

When loading for subs it is always advised to start high and work low.  Lessen the risk of a stuck bullet.  I would start at the minimum load for supers and work down. Till you reach subsonic and function.  Honestly with those 2 bullet powder combos I do not think you will be able to get function and subsonic.

You will have to go to a heavier bullet and will have should be able to get the pistol gas working and subsonic.

For the carbine gas you will need a heavier bullet and a different powder.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:53:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911xdm] [#9]
Ok.

168gr and H110 are going to be difficult to run subsonic in either set up.  May get it to work in the pistol gas, It will not work in the carbine gas.

When loading for subs it is always advised to start high and work low.  Lessen the risk of a stuck bullet.  I would start at the minimum load for supers and work down. Till you reach subsonic and function.  Honestly with those 2 bullet powder combos I do not think you will be able to get function and subsonic.

You will have to go to a heavier bullet and will have should be able to get the pistol gas working and subsonic.

View All Quotes

Ok.

I did get some 200gr hotcor soft point bullets. Have not loaded any of them. Maybe I will try that too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:56:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wingsnthings] [#10]
With my 8 inch barrel,
10.3 gr IMR4227
203gr Palmetto Coated Cast (I know, they're OOB)
CCI 400 primer.
They will go supersonic on a hot day, but mostly quiet.

Eta: carbine gas? Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:56:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#11]
Also, see the Hodgdon website>>>
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#12]
You're better off sticking to heavier bullets (190+) for subs, but if you have your heart set on it, you MAY be able to get the 168s to run subsonic from the pistol gas gun with Accurate LT-32.

Bear in mind I know of no published source of LT-32 data for .300 Blackout so the following is for informational purposes only, use at your own risk, do your own research, etc.

I've used it with lighter bullets in a 9" B.O.  14.5 grains under a 165 grain Hornady SST at 2.200" OAL gave me 1108fps, barely subsonic at 55*F (I didn't try going lighter--I normally shoot 190+ bullets for subs).  16gr under a 155gr SMK Palma was 1097fps at 80*F and both loads cycled fully and locked open with an H2 buffer. (YMMV)

You can't get enough LT-32 into a .300 Blackout case to run a 168 much over 1200fps from a 9" barrel. I got the 165 SSTs up to 1227fps with 15 grains at 2.100" OAL and some 150 FMJs to 1293 with 17 grains.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Another thing to consider. Minimal expansion of the bullet you want for subsonic. Make sure the bullet is for subsonic (expand below 1000 fps) use. I reload but buy the Hornady 190 grain subsonic ammo.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:03:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARTNC10] [#14]
AR15 uppers are cheap.  That's why I have one 9" 300BO dedicated to 208g subsonic and one 16" 300BO dedicated to 110g supers.

Yes, you can land on a load that will work in both applications depending on some factors, but IMO it's optimal to have a dedicated upper for each application with a dedicated, optimal loaded round.

I reload for optimal results, so I want the best performance for my needs in both the super and subs categories.

People are different and have different needs and applications, so I just throw this out there as food for thought.  You should pursue what suits you.

The price of AR15 components will probably never be cheaper, so I just went with the two dedicated uppers.

I'd also recommend Accurate 1680 as an excellent sub powder as well as the aforementioned CFEBLK.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#15]
Am about the same as you. A 10 inch for 190 grain subs and suppressor and a 16 inch that shoots Hornady 110 v-max supers with my Flir PTS233 thermal mounted.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Trying to find some resemblance of accuracy with a 110gr carbine copper coated bullet, I started a ladder at 12gr of W296 and the bolt cycled and chambered the next round. It wouldn't lock the bolt back on the last round. The barrel is a 8.5" KAK with a 0.125" gas port and the AGB was fully open.

I believe they were subsonic because they sounded like a pellet gun when wearing 28db ear protection. Recoil like a pellet gun too.

I imagine you could get the 168gr to cycle with H110 if you were willing to open up the gas ports. Not sure how consistent velocity will be. I haven't tried loading the 168gr with W296/H110 in 300blk so can't give any better feedback unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone know what chamber pressures 300blackout subs are around? I am wanting to use my pistol can on my AR.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:42:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#18]
Anyone know what chamber pressures 300blackout subs are around? I am wanting to use my pistol can on my AR.
View Quote
20-30k psi at chamber. About twice as much powder going out the muzzle though; dunno pressure at muzzle.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I have gotten 147 FMJs to run subsonic... sort of. This in a 16” Noveske 300FB barrel with a large gas port in a pistol-length gas tube. It did cycle, but blew so much unburned powder all over inside the receiver, I would not be surprised if it caused malfunctions after a few rounds.

I doubt you could get there with H110.

Originally Posted By ARTNC10:
I'd also recommend Accurate 1680 as an excellent sub powder as well as the aforementioned CFEBLK.
View Quote
AA1680 is a great powder in 300BLK in that it seems to produce the ideal pressure curve. However, it’s a terrible powder if you’re looking for a quiet round. 1680 is consistency louder than any other powder in any caliber I’ve loaded it in.

No, I don’t have dB numbers from a meter. But it’s pretty obvious when shooting and then switching to another powder. This is the case when shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed.

For 300BLK, I switched from H110 to AA#9 for the gas operated gun, and AA#2 or Win 231 for the single-shot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#20]
OP:  Don't make up your own data.  Sure way to damage yourself or your rifle.

I run 150gr subs consistently because 150gr FMJ bullets are way cheaper than the heavy exotic stuff.  Lightweight subs may require some tuning of the gas system and/or recoil system but they work just fine.

My rifle is a 10" bbl with pistol length gas system, adjust gas block and a captured recoil spring system.  Powders I'm using are 4198 and 4227.  I'd have to look up the exact loads but they are in the 10.0 - 10.5gr range.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:00:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I looked up my sound data and the following powders are listed in order of quietness from quietest to loudest.

4227 - approx 0.5 dB louder
Lil Gun - 5.5 dB louder than 4227
W296 - 0.3 dB louder than Lil Gun (6.3 dB louder than 4198)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top