Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2019 2:39:20 PM EDT
Never reloaded before but seriously thinking of starting---Any tips about best (for the money) press, dies, ect?
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By sqeezeatrigger:
Never reloaded before but seriously thinking of starting---Any tips about best (for the money) press, dies, ect?
View Quote
ITT people will share lots of opinions.

So here's mine:
Forster Co-Ax or RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press
Forster FL Sizing Die w/ expander ball removed
Sinclair Mandrel Die w/ carbide neck turning mandrel to expand case mouth
Forster Micrometer Seating Die
RCBS Chargemaster 1500 powder dispenser or fx120 w/ Autotrickler
Lapua Brass
Lapua Scenar or Berger Hybrid bullets
Primal Rights CPS primer seater
Giraud Power Trimmer
Sinclair Primer Pocket Uniformer
Federal Gold Medal or CCI BR primers

I don't anneal or turn necks yet.  But I'm looking at Giraud and AMP for annealers and 21st Century and Sinclair for neck turning gear.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 9:20:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jetpig] [#2]
Read read!  
Hard to go wrong with RCBS rockchucker starter kit.
RCBS or Redding stuff.
Join up over at 6.5grendel.com.  Whole section on reloading the Grendel.  
There is also a 2 volume manual available there that is good reading.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
step one is saving your brass.

I really like IMR8208XBR and 107gr SIERRA matchking.

I use hornady dies, and a DILLON 550b

Link Posted: 12/6/2019 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Lapua 100 grain and 108 grain bullets and Sierra's 107's.

You can drive them at normal "high velocities" associated with .308 168's and even faster if you have a longer barrel.

I use Vihtavuori N530. IMR-8208-XBR and Vihtavuori N133 are good too.

You need to bump the shoulder back at least -.003" from the fired case measurement for use in a semi-auto.

Any cast iron press will last your lifetime. Lee's cheap presses aren't as good.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, auto or bolt gun?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Started on a Lee Challenger press in early 2000's. Bought a few manuals including Lee, Hornady, Lyman and others.

The Lee manual was priceless. I had zero reloading experience and no one to show me the ropes. Reloaded lots of 30-06 and 243 on that press using Lee dies. Started loading pistol on it and switch to Lee classic 4 hole turret press. That press does all my rounds now, pistol and rifle.

I'd bought the Challenger press as a kit with powder dispenser, scale, Lee manual and a few other pieces. Figured I wouldn't have much money invested if I didn't like reloading.

Now the Challenger press is breech lock design. Kits still available. You could buy the kit and Grendel dies for less then 200.

Lotta people thumb their nose at Lee. I reload 380, 9, 40, 45, 223, 30-06, 243, 270, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, 300 AAC, 7.62x54r, 224 Valkyrie, 308 Winchester.

Fixing to start loading 350 legend and 450 Bushmaster as well. All with Lee dies and presses.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Strongly suggest the RCBS starter kit as well. And watching Johnnys Reloading Bench 6.5 grendel series on YouTube (for real).
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Here are a two things that most do not take into account when starting out

1) Ware are you going to set up your reloading equipment? Is it a place ware you can leave the equipment setup? Or will have to remove it and store it until your next reloading session?
2) Interruptions and speed are not what you want when reloading. Take your time and reload in place that you do it with out interruptions.

Now as for equipment, there are a lot of choices in manufactures. But it all coms down in price and what you are looking doing, like target shooting (Plinking) or match shooting, these will take you into two different directions in cost.

Starting off, you will need:
1) Press (Start off with a single stage) (I use a RCBS Partner Press. I went with a light press when I moved into an apartment.)
2) Scale (I would go with a beam scale to start off with) (I would also get the Lee powder dippers.)
3) Powder dispenser and stand (I use the RCBS Competition Powder Measures. For Grendel, the Small rifle and pistole one will work fine.)
4) Dies and shell holder (I use every ones dies and shell holders, but for Grendel, I use Hornady's custom die set with there VLD bullet seater and micro adjuster.)
5) Priming tool (I use the RCBS universal hand primer and the lee ram primer.)
6) Case trimer (I like the lee ones, they are simple to use.)
7) Case trays (Get two of the universal ones.) (As you prime or fill with powder, you move one case from one try to the other. It helps stop double loading.) (Always check the powder level in the cases for consistency before you insert a bullet. I do this when they are all in the tray after filling.)  
8) Case Lube (I use Hornady's One shot. Smells like old crayon's.)
9) Case Cleaner (I went with an ultrasonic from Amazon and use whoever case cleaner.)
10) Log Book of your loads (Performance and powder change, primes used.)
11) Books (I like Lyman, Berger, Hornady. You can get info on line from most manufacture's websites.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top