Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2015 4:04:46 AM EDT
If you want a comprehensive book on fieldcraft that will blow your mind, I highly recommend this one.

I'll just give a hint as to it without naming it, because I personally don't think it should have been published, to be quite honest.  The tradecraft detailed in it is best left for professional circles, but it's an open-source book, so use your google-fu to find it.  It blows away anything I've ever read in terms of military manuals, or received instruction on in schools or courses.  Basically a comprehensive mind-dump of decades of British Reconnaissance community no-BS TTP's, in full color, covering mission prep/planning, clothing and equipment, fieldcraft, patrolling skills, concealed rural hides, logging & reporting, sketching, surveillance, close target recce, resupply, still imagery, video imagery, covert cameras, eavesdropping, urban hides, winter operations, and legal considerations.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:36:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxLewis] [#2]
At that price, you could name it, not many folks could afford it.

Txl

Eta, on Amazon anyway
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought mine in Europe after thumbing through it.  Probably one of the best books ever published on the subject matter.  When I was in Long-Range Surveillance, my Company sent teams every year to compete in the Cambrian Patrol, which is an international long-range surveillance competition held in the Brecon Beacons, the same area where SAS does their selection.

We learned a lot from our UK partners, and I have always enjoyed working with UK reconnaissance, Royal Marine, and other communities.  There is a sense of professionalism and very detailed, but raw approach to the harsh reality of more advanced light infantry skill sets.  We have LRSLC at Fort Benning, but it is mostly unknown throughout the Army.  The US Marines have the Basic Reconnaissance Course as part of School of Infantry.

In the US, we tend to get wrapped around the axle with insertion & extraction methods, physical fitness & obstacle courses, maybe some classroom work, some checks in the blocks on training with radios and gear, and graded patrols focusing more on leadership-all of which are important and should be part of the curriculum.  With the UK recon community, it is much more focused on operational tradecraft, with a very impressive coverage of extremely detailed techniques, tactics, and procedures, all of which have been gained and internalized dating back throughout their experiences from the Empire through WII, Borneo, North Ireland, and the current crises.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
kinda subtle hint for sure... damn
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pro_Patria_431] [#5]
Thanks, will check it out later.

ETA: Currency conversion will beat you up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#6]
My google-fu must be weak because I'm not finding anything resembling this type of book.  Could a kind soul give me another hint or PM me?  I've been looking for a new book to read.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:39:53 AM EDT
[#7]
This should be required reading for LRSLC, Benning Sniper School, USMC BRC for 0321's, USMC Scout Sniper courses, SOTIC/SFS, anyone in a Scout Platoon, Long-Range Surveillance, RSTA, and units like that.

There are more ways than one to google.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:
Hiding out for a better hint.

View Quote

Ultimate Sniper revised

I did a quick google but couldn't find anything too pricey. I'm still looking though
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#10]
At least I'm not the only one that can't find it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure what the big secret is about this so I'll just post what I've come up with.  

http://www.amazon.com/Covert-Rural-Surveillance-Definitive-Tradecraft/dp/0953537846/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424793819&sr=1-1&keywords=covert+rural+surveillance

http://www.crops.uk.com/training-manual/
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pro_Patria_431] [#12]
NVM
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By vet2007:
I'm not sure what the big secret is about this so I'll just post what I've come up with.  

http://www.amazon.com/Covert-Rural-Surveillance-Definitive-Tradecraft/dp/0953537846/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424793819&sr=1-1&keywords=covert+rural+surveillance

View Quote

I thought it was going to be more expensive!
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]

No hot link ... I see what you didn't do there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vet2007:

No hot link ... I see what you didn't do there.

Dindu!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#16]
$400, funny.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By flash22:
$400, funny.
View Quote

That's the amazon price, not the price from the website that sells it.

Txl
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Currently not available on Amazon
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the recommendation.  Looks facinating.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:07:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm going to Ireland this year, I hope I can find it there to save on some shipping.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Got here today. Just quickly looking though, looks good.  

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Source ??
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Iggyort:
Source ??
View Quote

Straight from the source.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I ordered it, so we shall see.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:47:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Northwind] [#25]
Thanks for this recommendation, mine arrived today out of customs.

From a purely fieldcraft standpoint, this was an excellent buy. I've never seen a book this comprehensive without devolving into a text for pure military/SWAT applications. It really does cover full range of "surveillance" fieldcraft skills, I figured it'd be more geared towards the "sniper" crowd like in the way of Plaster's "Ultimate Sniper", or Mark Spicer's book. That is not a knock on it at all, much to the contrary. Everything from hides/camo and patrolling to communications, photography and utilizing common structures.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#26]
If anyone gets bored with their copy, I'd like to read it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks.  Will see how long shipping takes.

I'll recommend an older source of very good N america fieldcraft:  Ellsworth Jaeger, author of many, best known is Wildwood Wisdom, still in print Amazon, older copy occasional of Woodsmoke, and tracks and trailcraft also recommended.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Multi-G did you get it yet?  How long did it take to get to you?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Tipy:
Multi-G did you get it yet?  How long did it take to get to you?
View Quote

Yeah, it arrived in a few weeks but I didn't pay much attention to the exact time.  I'd guess probably 3-4 weeks via registered mail.  Interesting reading but I've not gotten really far, about 1/4 so far before getting dragged into other things and not picking it back up yet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I think mine was here within a weeks time. Really interesting read.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Any similar recommendations for urban environments?
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Balog:
View Quote

That book has a lot of urban stuff.  They pictured a hide made in a trash-filled alley, pretty near invisible.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Balog:
View Quote

Try "Fry the Brain"
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#34]
ost

(for some reason, the sub buttons don't work in this sub-forum)
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought this book. Good stuff!

One thing I thought was cool was the British poncho doubles as a litter. I have been searching for these on ebay, but can't find one. Does anybody know where you could buy one?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:05:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: benb] [#37]
Originally Posted By ReconB4:

TBH, the US poncho does the same thing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By benb:

One thing I thought was cool was the British poncho doubles as a litter. I have been searching for these on ebay, but can't find one. Does anybody know where you could buy one?

Really? The one they showed in the book had built in handles which seems like it would be way easier to use as a litter.

My USGI poncho would suck for dragging somebody in (not that I've tried it)
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:51:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I bought this book about a month ago. At my lazy pace, I'm only about 60 pages in. So far, it is an awesome resource.

I have no idea what good this book will actually do for me, but it is a fun read.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 6:29:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Misfit75] [#39]

Really? The one they showed in the book had built in handles which seems like it would be way easier to use as a litter.

View All Quotes

They call it a Basha. Here is one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391207806039?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#40]
That's a great deal for that poncho.

In every unit I was in, a poleless litter was standard Squad Special Item of Equipment, usually 1 per fire team.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:22:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#41]
Just a fraction of some of the books in my library.  When I say small fraction, I mean these don't even make a dent, but they were some of the examples I wanted to grab.

I know 2 of the authors personally.  The material covers a wide range of experience including:

Confidential  Specimens of British Trench Orders from 1917 by the Army War Department, gained from Canadian Forces so lessons learned could be passed to Americans

US Marine Corps Scout Sniper WWII and Korea

USMC FMFM 1-3B  SNIPING, 1994

TC 31-32 Special Operations Sniper Training and Employment, 1997  ( I have the edition that came out later somewhere, which is a much better manual in many ways.)

10th Special Force's Group SOTIC Student Handbook, 1993

Tarkka-ampuja 1  (Finnish:  Sniper 1) 1997/2007

Dead Center, Ed Kugler

The Last Hundred Yards: The NCO's Contribution to Warfare

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AbleArcher] [#42]
Is there an updated place to purchase? I can't seem to find a copy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Is there an updated place to purchase? I can't seem to find a copy.
View Quote
https://www.crops.uk.com/purchase-covert-training-manual/
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SCW:

https://www.crops.uk.com/purchase-covert-training-manual/
View Quote
Thank you. I think I got it, PayPal confirmed it but no email from Crops. I'll hope for the best.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Mine shipped fairly quickly actually. I don’t recall getting any shipping notice. It just showed up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Multi-G:
Mine shipped fairly quickly actually. I don’t recall getting any shipping notice. It just showed up.
View Quote
Showed up today, took about ten days.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:38:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mdfoster] [#47]
Does anyone know where I can pick up a copy of this? Well one that is not $500. I put off getting it for a couple of years and now according to Crops they are only selling to service personnel.

Info CROPS
1:29 AM (6 hours ago)
to me

Dear Sir,

We have restricted the sale of our training manual to service personal only, please can you provide proof of this.

Kind regards,

Ben Wall
Director
CROPS
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#48]
That's how it should have been from the start really.

I was kinda shocked what they put in there, which is what made me buy my copy in a surplus store in Northern Europe.

Would have loved to have this book back when I was in some of the units I was in.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Is anyone interested in selling their copy of Wall's book?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Must be an excellent book at that price.Maybe I could get a Government to purchase it.Good info though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top