Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2018 1:45:07 PM EDT
In the market for a good precision rifle that should last me 20+ years (I don't shoot that often but would like to have something I can pass down to my son).  Don't have a strict budget but I would prefer to stay under $4k.  Just have a few constraints -

1.)  .308/7.62x51 caliber
2.) 20+ inch barrel
3.) Semi automatic not bolt action

So with that in mind what would you guys recommend?  I've been looking at the DSA FALs and PTR-91 rifles but I'm sure you guys know of some other quality options that I may not be aware of.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Larue ultimate upper plus lower?
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Armalite  with a ss match barrel does this pretty easily and better, almost a single hole for 5 rounds on many days...

Link Posted: 6/3/2018 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never seen or heard of an FAL that would shoot MOA.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Balforin:
I've never seen or heard of an FAL that would shoot MOA.
View Quote
Ya.   That’s what I was wondering as well, from the OP.

The LaRue is a solid recommendation.   Depends on who you speak with but a SCAR and LMT also fit, assuming the 4K is for the gun only (not optics).
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Aero M5E1 and call it a day
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]
LMT MWS, Seekins SP10, KAC SR-25.

Can’t go wrong with any of those. LMT would get my vote as you can also switch to other cals easily.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jondelong:
Larue ultimate upper plus lower?
View Quote
This is the deal to beat ^^^^^

Wish it had been around when I built my custom .308 and .260 Rem, which have amazing barrels, but were built on DPMS receivers and BCGs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#8]
GA Precsion FTW
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 5:46:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#9]
Depending on budget, a JP rifle is not likely to disappoint you.

ETA:  Neither of the two platforms you mentioned is known for being a highly accurate, long range precision rifle.   I'd suggest you first determine whether you want a 7.62 battle rifle, of which a well built FAL or G3 variant will serve you well, or a precision rifle.  If it is a precision rifle you want, than an AR10-style rifle is the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone for the responses, the LaRue and Armalite look like good options, I will do more research on those.

Good point about the battle rifle / precision rifle disconnect; I'm not entirely familiar with the exact terminology but I assumed they were nearly identical (probably shorter barrels on the battle rifles was my thought).
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:49:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#11]
Originally Posted By hiih8r:
LMT MWS, Seekins SP10, KAC SR-25.

Can’t go wrong with any of those. LMT would get my vote as you can also switch to other cals easily.
View Quote
Yup. Sold an SR-25 and got into a LMT for nearly half the price. Shoots as well or better and I can go from LE 16” blaster barrel to 20” .308 to a 6.5 CM in a minute or less. With a Geissele SSA-E it shoots like a dream, and has been 100% reliable with all ammo I’ve dropped into the mags.  Wouldn’t pass on a Larue but their switchbarrel model is pricey.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Over the past few years I've owned the following battle / precision rifles: Seekins SP10, LWRCi REPR, LMT MWS, JP Rifles LRP-07, Larue OBR, FH SCAR17 and KAC SR25.

I still own the JP LRP-07 and the LMT MWS.

My recommendations:

Seekins SP10 for low priced precision rifle. It was a fantastic platform and I only sold it to pick up the JP.
LMT MWS for a cross between battle and precision rifle. Quick barrel and caliber swaps are excellent.  Down side is it heavy.
JP LRP-07 for high end precision rifle. A ton of customization available and I really love the side charge charging handle. Expensive but worth every penny.
FN SCAR17 purely battle rifle.  Light weight and pretty damn accurate.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:36:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#13]
Originally Posted By onekneedown:
Over the past few years I've owned the following battle / precision rifles: Seekins SP10, LWRCi REPR, LMT MWS, JP Rifles LRP-07, Larue OBR, FH SCAR17 and KAC SR25.

I still own the JP LRP-07 and the LMT MWS.

My recommendations:

Seekins SP10 for low priced precision rifle. It was a fantastic platform and I only sold it to pick up the JP.
LMT MWS for a cross between battle and precision rifle. Quick barrel and caliber swaps are excellent.  Down side is it heavy.
JP LRP-07 for high end precision rifle. A ton of customization available and I really love the side charge charging handle. Expensive but worth every penny.
FN SCAR17 purely battle rifle.  Light weight and pretty damn accurate.

Good luck.
View Quote
The new MLOK MWS upper and one of their LW barrels will get you close to SCAR weights...just an FYI.

https://lmtdefense.com/parts/lm308bml1

@m4hk33 posted these a while ago when I was looking for an MWS. Still gotta pick an upper up...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 6:11:04 AM EDT
[#14]
The larue kit is a great value, think you can get into one for around 1500, would leave a good amount for for glass and ammo.

As mentioned, I am a fan of the mws,  barrel

The scar is OK,

Any of the rifles mentioned will last a lifetime
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By krez1:
Thanks everyone for the responses, the LaRue and Armalite look like good options, I will do more research on those.

Good point about the battle rifle / precision rifle disconnect; I'm not entirely familiar with the exact terminology but I assumed they were nearly identical (probably shorter barrels on the battle rifles was my thought).
View Quote
Negative.  An SME can fill in all the details, but essentially it is much easy and cheaper to build a highly accurate/precise AR10 style rifle than one based on an alternate platform (such as a G3, FAL, or M14).

Additionally, as I understand it, shorter barrels are generally stiffer and have less barrel whip than the same, but longer, barrel.   So, all things being equal, a shorter barrel is likely to be MORE accurate than a longer barrel.  Not the other way around.  The difference is that a longer barrel will give you greater muzzle velocity and extend your effective engagement range.

A battle rifle can shoot 3-4 MOA and be perfectly acceptable so long as it is utterly reliable and has effective terminal ballistics.    Generally speaking, a precision rifle starts getting relevant at 1 MOA (or less).

All of the above are generalities and exceptions will exist.  But the bottomline for me is that battle rifles focus more on handling, reliability, and "carry-ability", i.e. weight, while precision rifles make compromises in those areas for the sake of ultimate precision.    But, then again, there are some rifles out there that straddle the line between the two very effectively....some of the LMT and KAC variants come to mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top