Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2019 1:37:12 PM EDT
Looking for some recommendations on some of the good hunting apparel for for October end / Nov 1st week hunting in North Carolina.

Want to know what are the good and some of the best go to gear that hunters among you use.

Specially looking for recommendations on Hunting Jackets, Boots, and Pants. Suggestions on any other accessories most welcome.

To start off, I have read some good reviews on the Sitka Jackets. Give me some advise on the gear you use and trust!
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
sitka gear
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Sitka gear is nice gear, my buddy uses it, I use cabala's mt-50 gear, been very pleased with it as well...
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I did some research, saw some reviews, watched some videos. Seems like Sitka is really up there. Thanks folks!

Now mainly waiting for some good boots/shoes recommendations.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Boots

And Firstlight for clothes
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Kuiu and First Lite
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out the Nomad Mossy Oak camo on sale at www.kygunco.com
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#7]
First Lite.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
What part of NC?

Columbus County or Transylvania County?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a set of First Lite merino wool pants and top that I've used every season since 2013. Still going.

Kuiu stuff is good too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I can’t brag enough about my Irish Setter (Red Wing) composite boots. Mile after mile of chasing pheasants and never had a blister or sore feet.

I assume you’ll be deer hunting, but any waterfowl gear I recommend Drake
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:
What part of NC?

Columbus County or Transylvania County?
View Quote
Tarboro, Edgecomb County
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#12]
As for boots, looking for uninsulated water resistant boots which are stiff and flexible enough to move, and climb.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aggie1819] [#13]
Sitka is owned by Gore. They get the best goretex fabrics, and has top notch gear. It is my favorite. I would consider them the Acteryx of hunting.

First lite has the best merino.

Kuiu was started by a former founder of Sitka. They have great materials too. I have used it a lot but sold all my Kuiu to stick with one pattern in Sitka.

Boots are personal. Mountain climbing and walking a lot I wear my Scarpa Kinesis GTX. For muddy and stand hunting I wear Lacrosse or Muck Boots
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I buy my hunting clothing on a budget, since it only sees a couple days to a week of use per year.  Tend to get milsurplus US boots - I have uninsulted goretex airforce boots, 200 and 600 gram thinsulate goretex US army boots.  Total for 3 pair was same cost as a single pair of higher end boots.  Yes, they are a little heavier.  
For clothing, I buy whatever wool works from a sweater design standpoint, some is merino that I got on sale, some is just global military surplus.  key is it needs to be real wool.  I tend to buy thermal underwear designed for skiing, my current favorite is the columbia stuff that has an aluminized lining, it's lightweight, comfortable, wicking and super warm.  Most of my hunting is in colder Rocky Mtn climates though, a lot of still hunting and a little less stalking / walking.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bob9181:
As for boots, looking for uninsulated water resistant boots which are stiff and flexible enough to move, and climb.
View Quote
Danner Pronghorns

Don't get water resistant boots.  Get waterproof.

I've never have been in the field thinking my feet aren't in breathable enough boots.  Full leather won't breath any better, and even in heavy dew, getting wet feet sucks if you have to stay out or walk forever.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:05:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#16]
Originally Posted By Robertesq1:
sitka gear
View Quote
The few pieces I have are awesomr.

Boots:
I have Zamberlain (sp?) Leather hiking boots I like in early season.  I have a pair of Lowa Sheephunter boots that are nice for heavier hiking and more rugged country.  I have a pair of Schnees packs for cold, snowy or wet conditions.  I have a really old pair of danner boats I use for early season bird hunting.

I use Kennetrec gaiters to keep snow out and also to keep pants from catching and tearing on brush and wire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top