Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2022 1:44:48 PM EDT
I have a friend who just put together an AR to use for long(ish) range shooting on his property.

He came to me for advice on a scope to top it with. I was trying to steer him in the direction of a mid tier scope, then asked what his budget was.

Of course this guy can't hold on to a buck to save his life, so he answered with a $200-$300 range

I recommended getting a cheap PA 4-14x r-grid like I have on a beater rifle of mine. Zero it, and use the grid for holds. I tried explaining  MILS to him, but it didn't click.
He's a salt of the earth guy, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer, if you know what I mean. He ended up getting a 4-14x with the MOA reticle because 1" at 100 yds
made more sense to him.

The MOA reticle has no ranging scale in the reticle. So I wrote down the ranging formula for MOA for him, and showed him several calculations on the calculator app on my phone.
I think he 'got it' but I know he will not when he's out shooting.

I had him download strelok, and he can use that just fine, but he's still going to have to range his target.

Does anyone know if they make a simple MOA ranging app for android?  This would simplify things for him when he's out

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait... he's got a non-scaled reticle and he wants to do stadiametric ranging with it? Maybe if you post the reticle he's got we can be more helpful.

If he's not using a FFP scope with a scaled reticle or an SFP scope with a definite magnification value that's calibrated to the reticle itself then he's assed out. I would also caution that using a reticle to do ranging is imprecise in the best of circumstances and requires a great deal of practice to get good enough at it for it to be at all useful. It's better to use a scaled reticle hold-offs than ranging if any kind of precision is being saught.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Et2ss] [#2]
It's an Arc-2 MOA reticle. It's a FFP scope.  Primary arms isn't the best quality glass, but their reticles are on.

I tried to talk him into an r-grid MIL reticle with the 'tree' but he couldn't wrap his head around 3.6" at 100yd, 7.2" @ 200, 10.8" @ 300........ where as he could, get the jist of 1" at 100, 2" at 200, 3" at 300, etc.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Should’ve taught him mils are 1/1000th of whatever distance.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy him a range finder..even at 700 yards its going to be tough for a newby to get consistent hits by trying to range off his reticle...Did you explain to him that 1 MOA is 1" at 100 yards but that same 1 MOA is 7" at 700 yards? That always seems like what my buddy's struggle with when shooting distance...
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 12:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Et2ss] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rex_Allen:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rex_Allen:

I did, Base-10 is easy,  but something tells me that math classes weren't his forte when he was in school

Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Buy him a range finder..even at 700 yards its going to be tough for a newby to get consistent hits by trying to range off his reticle...Did you explain to him that 1 MOA is 1" at 100 yards but that same 1 MOA is 7" at 700 yards? That always seems like what my buddy's struggle with when shooting distance...

He's got that, or at least he seemed to get it

Originally Posted By Rob01:
You would do him a bigger favor if you stopped trying to push linear on him and actually showed him how to use the scope/reticle correctly. Also rounding off is a mistake as 1 MOA is 1.047" at 100 yards. Those little .047" add up. If you are going to teach then teach it right.

I know this, but also know that if he can't get the concept of 3.6" @ 100yds = 1 MIL. the extra .048" for each 100 yds is going to twist his brain a bit

As for ranging, get him a mildot master. Works with both mils and moa.
I thought about this last night after posting. Best advice yet in this thread
I was just hoping that there was a version of the mildot master in app form

But he can do it on the calculator on his phone if he knows the formula. No need for apps.

Size of target in Inches x 95.5 / size of target in MOA reticle = range in yards.  

I gave him this formula, but I know it won't stick in his brain, and he'd eff it up in the field

Again,  maths are a bit of a struggle for him

I think I'll talk him into a Mildot Master, hopefully he'll remember how to use it, after I show him how.

EDIT: I just pulled mine out and realized that the ranging feature is only in Mills on the Mildot Master, so I'm going to keep looking around to see if I can find the equivalent but in MOA
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
The mildot master is not only mils. Use the right column to line up target size and mil or moa reading and then look at left column for the yardage. It works. Been using it over 20 years.

Also him not getting 3.6” at 100 for mils is also pushing linear on him. FORGET LINEAR! The scope adjust in moa and the reticle is in moa. Not inches. So all he needs in inches is the target size if he is ranging a target. If not then moa only. Run data in moa and dial or hold it. If you miss and need to correct then use the reticle as a ruler to tell you how many moa you need to adjust on the dial or hold. Simple. No inches.

And agree to get him a LRF as if he can’t figure out what you said then he will not be able to range accurately at all.
View Quote

Cool, I see that now. Known target size and line it up to # of MOA. That will certainly get him pretty damn close.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top